• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Howard’s Famous Bacon & Avocado Burgers – West LA

Sweet Willie

It is Saturday morning, 10am, I’ve got the top down on my rental convertible and am driving around trying to find a place to get some food to satisfy my hungover state. I don’t really get hungover but do suffer from what I call “fuzzy brain” or I’m just not Mr. Swift this morning due to many Guiness and Ciders the evening before.

There are few food items better for a hangover than a greasy burger and fries. We never eat “American food” while on an international vacation, but I remember after a night of pitcher after pitcher of sangria in Madrid, my wife and I waking up to our systems CRAVING a greasy burger/fries. Thankfully the concierge in our hotel directed us to a spot nearby.

I’ve got that same craving today. I’m at the intersection of Venice and Sepulveda debating if I should forgo the warming comforts of the sun on my face for soothing effects that the dark interior of my car would have on my eyes. I then spy Howard’s.

The sign above the storefront proclaims "Howard's famous Bacon & Avocado Burgers" and “Famous” to boot?!!?, I’m there.

Howard’s is a dive, probably has not changed much since 1971 when they opened. The same owners since ’71 are still there as well.

I place my order off the menu board that has been updated simply by painting over old sections. One Bacon Avocado Burger and fries please.

5 minutes later I’m looking a wonderful looking burger, Big thick crisp bacon sliced poking out of some VERY VERY fresh produce and lots of avocado.

It is a yummy burger for sure and I can feel the fuzzyness slowly slipping away.

The overall verdict, I would not go out of my way for Howard’s, but if you are near the airport or on Sepulveda, Howard’s will sure satisfy.

Howard’s Famous Bacon & Avocado Burgers

11127 Venice Blvd at Sepulveda

West Los Angeles, CA

Open 10am – 8pm Mon-Sat, closed Sunday

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Careful -- I've heard and read enough negativity about this place that I wouldn't rush right over...

Then again, if I found myself in the neighborhood, I might check 'em out and get it over with.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Careful -- I've heard and read enough negativity about this place that I wouldn't rush right over...

Then again, if I found myself in the neighborhood, I might check 'em out and get it over with.

I agree, kind of why I stated "The overall verdict, I would not go out of my way for Howard’s, but if you are near the airport or on Sepulveda, Howard’s will sure satisfy."

Contrary to many posts on Chowhound, I thought the burger was for sure above par AND was not a gray tasteless patty. As soon as I saw her put the patty on the flatop, I told her as close to MR as she could get it.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

One thing I've learned from Chowhounds.com is that I apparently have no taste.

Of the 20 or so recommendations I've followed up from there, not one has been notable.

Granted, I don't bother with the upscale trendy that's been reviewed to death, professionally, and dittoed endlessly over there.

But, you'd think they'd score a hit on some real food from time to time!

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

I think the vibe is just a little different on chowhound. I check it daily, but find e gullet to have a much broader base of general knowledge and people are pretty friendly over here too. it might also depend on where you are located and the chowhound user base in that city. E gullet seams to be pretty global in its user base.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I get the feeling that, here, posters are more interested in learning than "educating".

In this case, I'll have to try Howards if I'm in the area.

Places that are rated "great" and "terrible" fascinate me.

In these cases, I've usually found the bad opinion based on something besides the food.

Besides, diners, dives and greasy spoons, my true love!

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

I have to agree with Stupid_American. Sometimes the Chowhound crowd does hit though. Esp if it's a well known, long term establishment. They got it right with Inchon Won in Garden Grove, however, now that it has new management, maybe it won't be as good as it used to be.

They got it right with China Garden in Irvine, and even mentioned the egg custard tarts, which surprised the hell out of me.

However, I wouldn't post on Chowhound, because I hate it when the management is a pain in the ass about stuff like "rules".

Greasy spoon diner dives rule!

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

the apple pan's hickory burger. mmmmm 2 more months...

You coming out here to L.A. or saving money to spend at the Apple Pan. Let me know, i can take you to some great dives!

our next trip to l.a will be from may 12-26. perhaps we can get a egullet l.a event going? since we won't have our own kitchen we won't be able to contribute to a potluck--maybe dimsum or artesia. or perhaps i could drag you all kicking and screaming to one of the scary bangladeshi places on vermont.

burger dives are always good too. can we do a drive-through in the helicopter?

If you want Burgers,you must go to B&R burgers in Hawthorne.It was the very first review I did for the newspaper and the burgers are the size of your head and really good....I will take you if you want (you need a gun for protection so that is why I must go with you).

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

If you want Burgers,you must go to B&R burgers in Hawthorne.It was the very first review I did for the newspaper and the burgers are the size of your head and really good....I will take you if you want (you need a gun for protection so that is why I must go with you).

why detective, you're assuming i'm not packing heat...or maybe i'm just excited by all this burger talk.

If you want Burgers,you must go to B&R burgers in Hawthorne.

I've been meaning to write a seperate review on this place, but this seems as good of a time as any.

B&R is a seriously good, home-made, hand-made burger. It's a divey little mom n' pop store, located in a sketchy strip mall. Even though there's an "A" rating hanging in the window, there's a detectable film of greaziness all over everything. I prefer to think of it as a patina.

I didn't have the nerve to try the Royal Burger that Cognac keeps touting (multiple protein sources stacked high on a bun), so I went with the standard cheeseburger. It was only the size of a small childs head.

Very straight forward, large hand-made patty (nice irregular shape), slab of cheese, toasted bun, lettuce, tomato, mustard, ketchup. About as simple as you can get. Very tasty.

Until I get my CCW, I'll only go to B&R during daylight hours...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

You'd travel for a burger? That's dedication. I myself only travel for dim sum, and that's only on frequent flier miles.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

You'd travel for a burger?  That's dedication.  I myself only travel for dim sum, and that's only on frequent flier miles.

I've got a long list of Southern California grease stain worthy places that need eatin'.

But yes, I'd travel for a burger. A truly great burger.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 1 month later...

I stopped by here a couple of weeks ago on a day I played hooky. It turned out to be appropriate, because as Willie mentioned, the place looks like it hasn't changed in 30 years. Here's the sign:

front.jpg

The menu is a little unusual in that they offer both 1/4 pound and 1/3 pound burgers, so you can get a single or double of either size. This is a single 1/3 pounder with bacon and avocado. I would have gotten onion rings, but they serve pre-made, frozen onion rings, so I went for extra crispy fries.

baburger.jpg

The burger was surprisingly lean and definitely cooked well done - but not a hockey puck by virtue of served immediately. Decent portion of avocado. The bacon was thin, greaseless and crispy. The bun could have been a little softer/fresher, but it wasn't stale. The fries were crisp, as requested (which scores points in my book - lots of places won't do them crisp even if you ask). I would guess they would also be accomodating of requests for a medium burger, but I'll have to try that next time.

There are better burgers in LA and in the nearby area, IMHO. Reminds me of a surfer's burger shack near the beach (although it's not) which has a de facto monopoly. Maybe not the best, but hot, cooked to order, and convenient. Satisfying, but not transcendent.

edited for better readability

Edited by FoodZealot (log)