• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crispy Dulce de Leche

cbarre02

This evening I was making a classic Colombian treat "Obleas con Ariquipe". Imagine a thin waffle cone spread with Dulce de Leche and enjoyed with a glass of milk. While eating some of the ariquipe I noticed that some was beginning to dry around the edges, and was almost crispy.

So I did what most inquisitive pastry chefs would have done... GRABED THE OFFSET SPATULA AND SILPAT!!!!!!

I spread it on in a very thin layer baked with the oven door open at 180-200, and let it dry for about 2 hours. It resulted in a very thin, very crispy layer of caramel milky goodness.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an actual recipe that exists for this type of creation? Mine is far from perfection, but I really think that this has potential.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

The crispy part was the dulce de leche (same as Ariquipe) itself. I was looking for ideas for actually doing this. Sorry if i wasn't clear.

But homemade obleas can be a real treat, thanks.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

what is wrong with your recipe? it seems to be a success

the applications seem endless; savory or sweet from foie gras, scallops and sweetbreads to a tuile on sorbet or ice cream to a dust to be mixed with nougat

i'm about to make some milk jam and will begin applying it to these and many other avenues

thanks

cheers

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

In Albert Adrias book, 'Los Postres de El Bulli' and probably in the '98-02' book also, there is a recipe for a tuile of sorts, using condensed milk and a touch of flour.

If you want the recipe, feel free to PM me.

Sounds like you came up with a good one yourself!

2317/5000

• 2 weeks later...

In the other dulce de leche thread on this forum someone speaks of simmering the can of condensed milk for longer periods of time than normal. Apparently if you simmer it long enough, it becomes thick enough to slice. I think your baking experiment took it farther than that. You've basically entered the world of candy making. I don't know that much about candy but it sounds like you've made a variation on a butterless toffee.