• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lincoln Carsons liquid center cake( not molten)

tan319

When I lived in NYC, I used to go to Cascabel and I almost always had Lincoln Carsons chocolate cake with a liquid center of peppermint coulis.

It was awesome and I know the recipe was pictured and published in either Chocolatier or maybe even PA&D ( how long has that been in business?).

My question is does anyone know which Tish Boyle book it made it into?

I have Grand Finales and it isn't in there.

I gave a quick browse thru the Neoclassic plated dessert one today at Borders.

Would it be the Chocolate Passion one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2317/5000

Ted,

I have a friend who is the head baaker for BR Guest (Blue Water Frill, Ruby Foo's....) and says that Lincoln is the Corporate Pastry chef for BR Guest Restaurant Group (a title which I held a few years back when the company wasn't as big as it is now)

Stephen Hanson lured him from Olives

For your info:

Morand Dare, very accomplished and talented Pastry chef also held the position. I hope Lincoln can last, not an easy company but they really take care of their employees, a touch notch company

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I saw the listing for BRGuest but thought maybe it was old.

Thanks for the info.

BTW, do you know about that book thing I mentioned?

Thanks again, Bri

2317/5000

Ted,

It was mentioned in Grand Finales pg 231, but no recipe. I had that same dessert when he was at Luxe (Cafe Luxemnorg, I think)

That was one dessert that led me into pastry field, I loved that thing

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Ted,

When I first saw this thread, my eyes sort of lit up because I thought I knew exactly what you were looking for.

Looking at pg. 231 in Grand Finales , which you and Bri had mentioned, I am reading what is written, but it mentions an ice cream bombe of Lincoln's. Is this what you are looking for?. If so, I found that recipe in an issue of PA&D( I have them all ).

I ask because you mentioned the cake had a peppermint coulis and this has a liquid chocolate center, not peppermint, although the bombe is peppermint flavored.

HTH, if not, sorry to get your hopes up.

Take care,

Jason

Jason, you're the man!

I'm writing you a PM.

I called PA&D today tp inquire about the issues, book, they're supposed to get back to me.

If you have the issue#/ month/year, maybe I can get it thru back issues.

Thanks again!

Ted

2317/5000

Ted,

post the recipe

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Ted,

post the recipe

I hope the 'gullet won't mind...

Jason was kind enough to PM this to me, so I'm just cutting and pasting this...

LINCOLN CARSON'S FRESH PEPPERMINT BOMBE WITH DARK CHOCOLATE

Yield: 8 servings

ICE CREAM BASE:

2 oz/56.7 g blue balsam mint, finely chopped

16 liq oz/473 ml heavy cream

30 liq oz/887 ml half-and-half

12 oz/340.2 granulated sugar, divided

19 ( 12.35 oz/350 g ) large egg yolks

1. In a heavy pot, place the mint, cream, half-and-half and 8 oz/226.8 g of the sugar. Bring to a boil and let steep for 10 minutes.

2. Return to boil. Whisk together the yolks and remaining sugar and temper with mint mixture. Return to heat over medium-low flame, and cook to custard stage.

3. Remove to ice bath, stirring until cool; strain through chinoise. Refrigerate overnight.

4. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.

CHOCOLATE SYRUP:

16 liq oz/473 ml water

16 oz/453.6 g granulated sugar

3.5 oz/99.2 g cocoa powder

1. In a saucepan, make a simple syrup with the water and sugar.

2. In a large bowl, slowly whisk the simple syrup into the cocoa until it is a smooth, thick paste.

3. Over high heat, transfer the syrup to a saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.

4. Remove from heat. Strain and cool.

5. Freeze to below 30 F, but not cold enough to solidify.

MINT SAUCE:

1 liq oz/29.5 ml simple syrup

8 mint leaves

1. In a blender on high speed, blend the simple syrup and the mint until the mint leaves are finely chopped.

2. Strain the syrup through a fine chinoise.

ASSEMBLY:

Eight 1" chocolate discs ( 1/16" thick)

1. Fill eight 3" ring molds with ice cream, making sure there are no air pockets, and leaving 1/8" space between the top of the ring mold and the ice cream. Freeze for several hours.

2. With a spoon, hollow a cylinder in the center of each mold about 1/4 way through each bombe.

3. Fill a parchment cone with the chocolate syrup and pipe it into the wells in the bombes. With an offset spatula, smooth each hole over with ice cream and let set in the freezer.

4. When frozen, cap each hole with a chocolate disc. Invert the molds onto a sheetpan and remove the molds.

5. Place each bombe on a plate garnished with mint and chocolate sauce. Garnish the top of each bombe with wavy strips of chocolate.

Like Brian said above, this thing was good!

The technique is really interesting, I'd love to try something like thing changing flavours around.

All of Carson's desserts look interesting, his combinations always look great.

2317/5000