• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Foodways Alliance?

Fay Jai

about the Southern Foodways Alliance and just more about Southern cooking and cuisine in general. Anyone a member?

Cheers,

Fay Jai

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Fay Jai-

We're big fans of the SFA around here. This organization focuses on much of the cultural and societal aspects of food in the South, and we encourage that type of discussion on eGullet. If you have specific questions about Southern food or the SFA, ask away!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Kewl! :biggrin:

I'm actaully thinking of joining...is there a magazine or journal that they put out?

Southern food...mmmmmm pork and its lovely, lovely descendent....BACON....

(Big Homer Simpson slobbery sounds)...

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

Hi Varmint ---

Actually, I'll put a question out to you, (and anyone else, for that matter...)

I know there are a lot of "Southern" Cook books out there, but, in your opinion, what would be the best basic, starter southern cookbook? (I realize that this might be somewhat contentious, but...)

And...saw an old Sara Moulton show on the Food Network featuring a lady named "Ma Dish", who runs a boardinghouse in the Carolinas...does anyone have any infor on her? Her chicken looked yummy....

Cheers,

Fay Jai

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

As to Southern Cookbooks, you are right, it can be a bit contentious as there are some pretty definite regions of the South and cooking styles vary-

A couple of good all around books would be:

on Country Collection

Southern Sideboards

The River Road Cookbook

Winning Seasons-Tuscaloosa, AL Jr. League (although they might want to change the name of the book to "We Can't Hang on to a Coach all Season" :hmmm::laugh: ) This one is available through the University of Alabama Website.

These all contain plenty of regional favorites and The Cotton Country and River Road are both full of seafood recipes as well.

Good Luck

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'll add a couple of suggestions:

Find anything by the late great Bill Neal, especially Bill Neal's Southern Cooking and Biscuits, Spoon Bread and Sweet Potato Pie.

Also, The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock.

Cheers,

Squeat (expat Tarheel)

let me second the suggestion for Edna Lewis'/Scott Peacock's book as well as the Egerton book & Bill Neal's books. Also add a few to the list:

A Gracious Plenty / John Edge--the man who runs the SFA compiled receipts fr/ some classic Southern church, civic organization, social club, &c cookbooks

A Gracious Plenty via Amazon

Heritage of Southern Cooking / Camille Glenn--the food editor of the Louisville Courier put this book together a few years back. It has been republished recently in an updated, extremely nice edition.

Heritage of Southern Cooking fr/ Amazon note: this is the old copy

Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread, & Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking / Joseph E. Dabney--how many other books have receipts for squirrel pie, roasted raccoon, baked ramps, & whistlin' pigs?

Smokehouse Ham fr/ Amazon

Hopefully I linked these correctly & am not sharing nuclear secrets w/ North Korea or something.

& I will probably get blasted for this but I also like Nathalie Dupree's selection of cookbooks.

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

LOVED the Dabney book...Keep 'em coming, guys, I'm writing as fast as I can... :smile:

There's a cookbook out from Hattiesburg chef Robert St. John called Southern Staples or How to Survive in a Southern Kitchen without a Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup. My mother in law got it for Christmas and it looks great. I've never eaten in one of his restaurants and have no affiliation with him.

http://www.robertstjohn.com/

Find anything by the late great Bill Neal, especially Bill Neal's Southern Cooking and Biscuits, Spoon Bread and Sweet Potato Pie.

yes, yes, yes

Also, Classical Southern Cooking by Damon Lee Fowler.

(May need to take out of library though, b/c it is no longer in print.). I think Damon Lee Fowler is involved with the Souther Foodways Alliance; if you join maybe you could ask him if this will ever be re-printed!!! (seems like it should be).

also, Expat Tarheel (Beat Dook!)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

yes, yes, yes

Also, Classical Southern Cooking by Damon Lee Fowler.

(May need to take out of library though, b/c it is no longer in print.). I think Damon Lee Fowler is involved with the Souther Foodways Alliance; if you join maybe you could ask him if this will ever be re-printed!!! (seems like it should be).

also, Expat Tarheel (Beat Dook!)

Damon Lee Fowler is a member of SFA. His name was on something I just received fr/ them & I think he is a member of the board.

I come across his cook book every once in a while at used book stores & it should be available on MXBF.com or similar used book web sites. He also did a great book on fried chicken called, interestingly enough, Fried Chicken ":^)

It is quite a read & I would have included it in my list of Southern cook books but he takes a more international approach looking at every form of fried chicken fr/ all over the world.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

There are just too damn many books mentioned in this thread to do individual links to them all!

If you have access to your post, please try to edit them to make direct links to the books you recommend (we get more money for direct links). Here's a link for instructions on how to do this.

If not, just use the link at the bottom of the page or here's a link that will bring you a variety of Southern Cooking Cookbooks on Amazon.

• 16 years later...

Sorry to ressurect such an ancient topic, but I just viewed this mini-documentary on YouTube. Now I am sooo hungry!xD

@Kim Shook, have you ever had the box lunch from Sally Bell's?

The URL for those who can't watch the embedded video:

https://youtu.be/FVm0CaOxEQY

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Sorry to ressurect such an ancient topic, but I just viewed this mini-documentary on YouTube. Now I am sooo hungry!xD

@Kim Shook, have you ever had the box lunch from Sally Bell's?

The URL for those who can't watch the embedded video:

https://youtu.be/FVm0CaOxEQY

I've been many times.  The original store was directly behind my college dorm and every time we could afford it, my boyfriend and I would skip the dining hall and go get a box lunch.  I've never had anything that wasn't delicious.  As a matter of fact, Mr. Kim and I celebrated our quarantine wedding anniversary back in March with Sally Bell box lunches - as chronicled here.  It's a wonderful tradition that I hope carries on as long as I do!   Thanks so much for posting that wonderful video.

• Like 2