• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wagner Polished Cast Iron

slkinsey

Wagner kind of fell off the map for a while in terms of cast iron cookware, but now they seem to be back. One of their most interesting products is the polished cast iron skillet. This is where they start off with a regular cast iron pan and then machine the inner surface so it is smooth instead of rough like most cast iron. I actually prefer this to regular cast iron and encourage anyone interested in acquiring some cast iron to consider it strongly.

--

I actually prefer this to regular cast iron and encourage anyone interested in acquiring some cast iron to consider it strongly.

Alright. I'll bite.

I have been cooking with cast iron (the same 4 pans and one dutch oven) for most of my life (literally at least 30 years on pans that are 75 plus years old). I like them and have never, until this very (and possibly important) moment considered smooth bottomed cast iron. I can think of several reasons that they might be advantageous, the largest being that I think you might be able to actually clean them without doing damage to the cooking surface.

What do you consider the advantages to be over regular old cast iron? And, as a follow up Sam (I love saying that, I always feel like I am in the basement of the White House) do you know how they machine cast? That would be very difficult to do as cast iron, by it's very nature is brittle and would be very difficult to machine.

Edited to say: Wow! That stuff is cheap. I may order a new one just to see how they compare. Such a deal!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The advantages, as I see them, are that it seems to season more quickly, and that it is more "nonstick-like" than rough cast iron. I hadn't considered the cleaning element, but it might make a difference.

I assume they machine the pans on a lathe.

Given the low cost of cast iron, it might be interesting (and affordable) to buy three similar skillets and compare regular cast iron, pre-seasoned regular cast iron and polished cast iron. Anyone up for it?

--

I use griswold cast iron pans exclusively, it seems to season better and has a nice smooth surface. It is also a lot lighter than any of the commercially made cast iron of today. Maybe this is the type of quality that Wagner is trying to capture. Maybe in the process they will polish off a few extra pounds of weight. Griswolds never seem to warp but they sure are a lot lighter than Wagner, Lodge, and the others. It makes for much more pleasant cooking when you don't need to lift weights in your off hours.

• 1 month later...

Surely it's no coincidence that over time cast-iron pans that are used regularly become smoother, and that everybody prefers old cast-iron. The reason my 100-or-so-year-old Griswold square skillet is my favorite doesn't appear to have anything to do with the romance of ancient seasoning -- I've scoured and reseasoned that thing plenty of times -- but, rather, is because of its surface texture, which is decidedly velvety compared to my newer pans. So hey, if I can get a new pan with a smooth interior, sign me up.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My ancient skillet (no manufacturer's marks) is as smooth as a baby's behind. It seasons beautifully and its outside surfaces are almost like black patent. It was the only type of cast iron skillet I was aware of until I bought a new Lodge dutch oven. I was dismayed at the rough texture of the new piece at first (how is that going to work?) but it worked out fine in the end. It still isn't as good as that slick surfaced oldy, though.

I think I need another skillet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having problems getting products from American Culinary Corporation?

I ordered a Wagner polished skillet on April 14 and received a confirmatory e-mail.

It is now more than 2 weeks later, and nothing has arrived.

Repeated e-mail to their support address has garnered no response.

Very disappointing.

:unsure:

Gee, Briarhill, sorry you're having problems. (Not that I can do anything about it, though. :sad: )

FWIW, I have a covered Magnalite 12-inch skillet -- originally non-stick, now partly coated but not flaking -- that is somewhere between 33 and 36 years old, and other than the coating, in great shape. I might be interested in checking out their other stuff.

But do you still have to season the polished stuff? Gee whiz, more bacon and fried chicken?? :raz:

OMG, Magnalite is back!!!! Oh frabjous day, calloo callay! I don't know when I've heard better news!

Actually, I already own most of the pieces from the original collection - and in duplicate, counting my mother's - but I may just have to get the omelette pan, and I've always lusted after the BIG stock pot.

And who knew they made anything non-stick? (Well, Suzanne did, obviously, but who else? I didn't.)

Maybe there's hope for the world after all.

• 2 months later...

Is this a new development or has Wagner been making these for awhile? I just scored a used Wagner Sydney skillet at a yard sale this weekend and it had the 1060 designation on the bottom, as does one of the sizes in the list linked above. Is that just a standard size reference? This is the first cast iron piece I've owned and it's incredibly smooth on the inside but perhaps form wear. I also grabbed a Lodge cornbread skillet but it's got a very distinct texture on the surface (appeared ot have been used very little if at all).

I recently bought a Lodge 12-inch cast iron. I like it, but it's too big for a lot of things so maybe I'll try the 6.5-inch Wagner. (Although I'm looking forward to making corn bread in the large skillet.) I got it mostly because someone told me it's good for increasing iron levels (they keep sending me home at the blood donor place.) The prices are very good, now I wonder what postage and handling will amount to? Cast iron weighs a ton.

Good news, indeed.

Has anyone seen Magnalite yet in any stores? Is the new company honoring the 100-year warranty on older pieces?

Edited to add: I just posed those very questions to the manufacturer.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

• 5 months later...
Anyone else having problems getting products from American Culinary Corporation?

I ordered a Wagner polished skillet on April 14 and received a confirmatory e-mail. 

Very disappointing.

Does anyone know if American Culinary Corporation is still afloat? I ordered a Magnalite Professional Saute Pan and have not had any success with contacting anyone from this company nor have I gotten an email confirmation of my order. Does anyone know if Magnalite Professional cookware is available anywhere?

:hmmm:

Very disappointing.

Does anyone know if American Culinary Corporation is still afloat? I ordered a Magnalite Professional Saute Pan and have not had any success with contacting anyone from this company nor have I gotten an email confirmation of my order. Does anyone know if Magnalite Professional cookware is available anywhere?

:hmmm:

Welcome to eGullet, Foody!

I hope American Culinary IS still around. This thread is the first I've heard about them, and like balmagowry I'm thrilled to see Magnalite back in production...if they truly are. But...what a strange website they have! The photography is beautiful, product lines look promising, but the text reads like some strange translation into English from another tongue. You know the kind of lapses I mean? They might just be editing typos but they read more like little twists that native speakers don't usually take. For example:

"How many companies are still in business a 122 years later?" and

"These models are for multi-purpose baking and can also be used for baking large main courses or dessert such as lasagna or pudding also. "

Anyway, I'm tempted to order a good roasting pan, but not unless someone else reports success with his or her order.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome to eGullet, Foody! 

I hope American Culinary IS still around.  This thread is the first I've heard about them, and like balmagowry I'm thrilled to see Magnalite back in production...if they truly are.  But...what a strange website they have!  The photography is beautiful, product lines look promising, but the text reads like some strange translation into English from another tongue.  You know the kind of lapses I mean?  They might just be editing typos but they read more like little twists that native speakers don't usually take.  For example:

"How many companies are still in business a 122 years later?" and

"These models are for multi-purpose baking and can also be used for baking large main courses or dessert such as lasagna or pudding also. "

Anyway, I'm tempted to order a good roasting pan, but not unless someone else reports success with his or her order.

Thanks for the welcome Smithy. I only have a few Magnalite pieces and stupidly threw out my saute pan. I too hope that American Culinary Corporation is still in business but all signs are suggesting the contrary, i.e. emails to the webmaster and admistrator accounts are bouncing back. I tried to call them this week with no answer. I did find what looks like the owners home phone number but I'm hesitant to call him at home. I'll keep you posted if I every hear from them.

Happy pan searching!