• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I will never...

jhlurie

Some beliefs are both simple and strong. Fairly subjective and yet absolute. Some food related things you will never do. Some things you will never eat, buy, prepare, etc. Some lines you will never (or never again) cross.

Here are some of mine...

I will never heat a frozen pizza in a microwave. Fifteen stupid extra minutes of my life to use a real oven and a pizza stone are a small enough price to pay.

I will never ever eat at Taco Bell again. I love my stomach lining too much.

I will never willingly eat soup from a can. I don't care whose picture is on it. There'd better be a blizzard.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I will never eat maccheroni and cheese from a box.

I will never eat at a fast food or major chain restaurant in Manhattan.

I will never, ever try to keep up with JJ, Soba or Eric Malson in an all-you-can-eat restaurant.

--

I will never cut hot peppers - even ones that I don't even consider hot peppers, or glove worthy - without gloves.

I will never ever be without a tube of facial cleanser in the house that says "dissolves oils" on the label.

And, most importantly: I will never, ever, for the rest of my frigging life, forget to use the can BEFORE I begin making salsa.

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

i'll never say never. i know better. :rolleyes:

You beat me to it! :laugh::laugh:

Actually,

I will never eat another McDonald's hamburger (Istill like the BK doubleCB)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I will never attempt to boil an egg in a microwave (granted, I was 13 when I did this, but boy did I learn my lesson).

Also, I will never eat bacos.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I will never, ever (again), run out of homemade chicken stock. Once you get used to it, the stuff from the cubes (or cans) is sooo dreadful, and so damned salty!

THW

P.S. Boy, I wish this were really true. Wanna guess what I'm doing today :wacko:? Hell, maybe it will be true.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I will never eat fast-food fries, because I like the good ones way too much. (I might, however, reach over and snitch a couple from your bag.)

I will never have fewer than two can openers in the house, because one is always lost.

I will never again argue with Dave the Cook about whether cornichons are an appropriate addition to tuna salad. ( :raz: )

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I will never cook with margarine. Any vegans visiting my house can enjoy cuisine prepared with olive oil as the butter-alternative.

Okra. Never.

Yeah I know okra's been done to death on this board. But you asked.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I will never cook with margarine. Any vegans visiting my house can enjoy cuisine prepared with olive oil as the butter-alternative.

Full agreement. Would go so far as to say I will never even have it in the house!

I will never leave the veal on the counter when I quickly run out to the store for a missing ingredient. (We have 3 large dogs....guess who didn't get veal for dinner?) :blink:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Vodka, brandy, cognac, whiskey, tequila, gin, bourbon and rum as well as related indicia are automatically out.

No mint juleps as they do in Kentucky for me.

No whiskey sours or margaritas either.

I will never, ever try to keep up with JJ, Soba or Eric Malson in an all-you-can-eat restaurant.

Sam: The fun is in trying. Who cares if we actually get to best you? heheh. Although bragging rights are kinda nice. :biggrin:

Soba

Heh, Soba. Someone is getting the right idea but missing the right FORMAT. :biggrin:

I will never look at Peter Jackson's beard while trying to eat. Ewww. As it was on T.V. a bit too often tonight, I shouldn't have been eating near the T.V.

I will never fight over the last Summer Roll with Jason Perlow. He gets pissy in that circumstance and has been known to scratch.

I will never willingly pay more for a gallon of water than for a gallon of gas. Of course, if I buy it by the pint I doubt I'll have a choice.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I will never again worship in the Church of the Entenmenarians. Not unless they bring back the full-fat chocolate loaf cake. "The Passion" indeed. Mel should make a movie about this cake, it's that good.

I will never utter the word "mouth-feel" to anyone under 18. Saying "mouth-feel" to a minor should be punishable by 30 days of listening to Christopher Kimball read aloud from Cook's Illustrated.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I will never, ever, eat natto. I also will attempt to shield my eyes and hold my nose whenever it appears.

I will never look at something else while chopping vegetables.

I will never eat a fast food hamburger of any sort.

(A few years ago I'd have said that I will never drink wine that comes in a screw-top bottle. :biggrin: )

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I will never use boxed mixes for breads, cakes, rice, macaroni, etc. They are abhorrent.

I will never learn to like raisins.

I will never eat a steak well done.

Edited by Gale (log)

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

I will never tolerate people injecting political or religious remarks into food related discussions, (except with obviously humerous intent), and will combat any such attempts with satirical or caustic remarks of my own with no regard for threatened sanctions.

I will never heat a frozen pizza in a microwave. 

It's worth mentioning that any bread product heated in the microwave will be toughened to inedibility.

Obviously none of you have ever lived on Mama Celeste frozen pizzas in college. The only brand that actually comes out crispy and tasty from the microwave. Must be the metal crisping disk you put it on.

Also, these nevers you have been writing seem ridiculous:

-Taco Bell is the king of fast food and damn tasty....don't worry about your intestines, they need a good cleaning every now and again.

-No boxed mac & cheese? You obviously aren't eating the original kraft blue box....nothing could be finer

I will never use non-dairy creamer.

I will never drink flavored coffee.

I will never buy another piece of Calphalon (and Iwill return any gifts).

I will never again reuse oil that I've used for deep-frying (it's not that expensive).

I will never buy ketchup that isn't red.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

What is this margarine? Food of the pods?

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

What is this margarine? Food of the pods?

:cool:

Margarine: Looks like butter. Tastes -- if it's the good stuff -- like candle wax. At best. If it's not the good stuff, it tastes rather the way you'd imagine a parade ground tastes after a platoon of Marines has stomped all over it.

Nasty. Avoid.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004