• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All - American dessert ideas

mckayinutah

White chocolate dipped strawberries with either blue jimmies or white chocolate with blue tinting as highlights.

Not sure how you could work blue in, but a highly flavored angel food type cake with a cherries jubilee type thing as sauce.

Or just make all of the desserts red and white, then serve them on blue plates. Maybe airbrush individual molded white chocolate pieces with blue. Put one on each plate. Stencil them with the person's name, if you have the time.

Blue food just isn't usually very appealing. Even blueberries are more like purple.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Take a look at the recent marshmallow threads. You could certainly do something upscale with white marshmallows and some flavored with blueberry puree for blue and strawberry, rasberry or cherry for the red.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Two ideas:

Mini tarts (about 1 1/2 bites), one filled with blueberry filling, one with strawberry/raspberry/cherry filling and one with apple/pineapple filling. On the side a dollop of whipped cream with red, white blue sprinkles.

A patriotic millefeuille, but instead of pastry, dark chocolate cut into squares, 3 squares alternated with a blue filling and a red filling. then topped with a thin layer of whipped cream with lines of red and blue puree scored across with a toothpick.

I came in this morning ( Tuesday ) to get another voicemail from my Banquet events manager. The woman who is organizing this political event really wants red, white, and blue layered cheesecake for this party.

Sounds simple enough, but I have no idea as to how to get these 3 layers in a sheetpan without smudging them all and ending up with purple cheesecake.

Has anybody had any luck doing this or should I tell them it is out of the question ? ( this woman really wants the "layered" patriotic look, but I don't know if that is doable.)

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I layer cheesecakes regularly....it's not a problem. BUT I do see having the color blue as a problem-just gross-but what-ever......I think you'll need to add a little food color to balance out the red and blue.

Layering works best when you choose thick cheesecake batters. It's easiest if you choose ones that contains melted chocolate (white in your case), because those are very firm batters comparitively.

You pour you first batter in and smooth it out. Chill, either using the cooler or freezer (but don't actaully freeze your batter...your just using to to chill faster then the traditional cooler). Then when firm-ish you add your next layer. I find it best to use a cup and pour it carefully so the weight is being added across the whole surface (seems kind of obvious-but don't throw it all in the center), smooth, chill again, then add next layer.

Bake.

Is this now plated or passed mini's?

Anyway...use a sheet pan extendor and just pay attention to the thickness and even-ness of each layer...so it's very consistantly on each level, same thickness in each layer through out (if your race through this it will look amatuerish).

Could you pour in a layer of batter and freeze until firm enough to pour in the next layer?  I have never frozen cheesecake batter before and it might be a bad idea.  :wacko:

Thank you . :biggrin:

I will try a trial one this week by chilling them in the freezer ( since I have many to do it will go quicker than chilling in the fridge ) and let you all know of my results.

Sinclair, it will be passed on silver trays.

Thanks again,

Jason

P.S. I agree that blue colored cheesecake is gross, but whatever. Reminds me of when I had a wholesale client in Michigan who wanted GREEN soft rolls for his restaurant for St. Patrick's Day :wacko:

layered? is she nuts? swirls maybe, but layered sounds like it would become a purple mess.

my thoughts are tarts with the requisite blueberries and strawberries

and some layer cake type thingies with cool icing (white w/ blue stars?), angel food layers, and raspberry jam in between?

those would make cute petit fours too.

or those rainbow petit fours, except with red, white and blue layers, and white chocolate coating. Here's a recipe with a picture of the cookies i mean: http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/rainbowcookies.html )

edit: freezing might work, but wouldn't it cause crystals which would turn to air pockets upon baking?

edit again: doh nevermind...just saw Sinclair's post.

Edited by tryska (log)

The woman who is organizing this political event really wants red, white, and blue layered cheesecake for this party.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry. I guess that's not helpful.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here's another thought -- Blueberries on the bottom on top of the crust, then the white cheese cake batter, then a strawberry topping. Though I like the other idea with the white chocolate better.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Do an American version of a triffle: Tall glass filled with spongecake or angel food or crumbled cookies soaked in Grand Marnier then a layer of macerated stawberries, layer of whipped cream and then brlueberries etc. etc. With a mini flag popped into thre top. Not a lot of prep time and you've got your rw&b stripes.