• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All - American dessert ideas

mckayinutah

I came in this morning to a voice-mail from my Banquet Sales Manager telling me that the property I work for is going to be having a Political event and that she wants some ideas for " All-American' or patriotic desserts to serve. They party has some money to spend, so the desserts have to be a little more upscale than normal.

My problem is , the only All-American desserts I can find on-line, or anywhere for that matter, are pies made with strawberries, blueberries, whippped cream, and flavored jell-o desserts, which aren't upscale to say the least. Also, the person arranging the party with this sales manager is coming in Monday, so I need ideas YESTERDAY, since I am not back to work until Tuesday. :shock:

To make matters worse, the Sales manager isn't in yet, so I have no idea how many people this banquet is for or when it is. :wacko:

Please help with ideas if you have any.

Thanks to all,

Jason

maybe try a jelly-roll approach? it would be easy on you since you don't have a count yet

very very thin white genoise, blueberries and whipped cream layers and many turns

strawberry coulis and confit

whipped cream and blueberry garnish on top

you can also do the same with a napoleon or profiteroles but i don't know how 'american' that would be

don't you just love those sales people??? :wink:

good luck

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Apple pie has already been thought of and is on the list of possible desserts. I also like the jelly roll idea.

From what I understand, the woman in charge of this event is looking for more of a " patriotic" theme - red, white, and blue, but I think she'll go for the apple pie idea, even if it is brown- but then again, I don't know. :unsure:

The sales manager suggested, and I almost fell off my seat, adding food colors to some of the desserts I already have on my banquet menu :wacko: Real good!

Nothing says upscale like red amd blue colored cheesecakes that aren't berry flavored.

Thanks again, and keep up the ideas :smile:

Jason

Just thought of something in regards to my food colored cheesecake comment - raspberries and blueberries swirled into a vanilla cheesecake - can't go wrong with cheesecake, right? I was thinking of pouring the batter into the pans, then dropping in the raspberries and blueberries so as not to " color" the cheesecake batter intself and to hopefully retain some distinguishable qualities of the berries.

Jason

Just got more info on the party from my Sales Manager

It is for someone running for office here in Utah, with the party occuring on MAY 7th, although she is coming in on Monday ( March 1 ) for a men.!

Anyhoo, It is actually 2 parties, both in the evening, each could be as much as 600 - 1000 people, so basically, 1200-2000 people total.

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. This women does in fact want RED, WHITE, and BLUE stuff.

How about rectangular-shaped cheesecake, and on top, make the US flag out of blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream.

Everyone will be expecting sheet cake when they bite into it, but it'll be cheesecake instead. Nice surprise.

You could do it by trimming the sides of the round cheesecakes, making them into squares, fitting them together, then decorating them as one piece.

Whoops - question. I was assuming "buffet" so thinking of something that would look good.

But is it plated?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

How about rectangular-shaped cheesecake, and on top, make the US flag out of blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream.

Everyone will be expecting sheet cake when they bite into it, but it'll be cheesecake instead.  Nice surprise.

You could do it by trimming the sides of the round cheesecakes, making them into squares, fitting them together, then decorating them as one piece.

That sounds good, but I am weary of putting blueberries , strawberries, and whipped cream on 2000 mini size cheesecakes :wacko: without the help of anyone.

If it comes down to that, I may have to bring my sleeping bag to work that day :laugh:

Jason

Well, as I said in my "edited" post, I was thinking "spectacular looking on buffet table," and imagining these things put together like tiles and then decorated, so you wouldn't have to decorate mini cheesecakes.

But if it's going to be plated, that would be a nightmare for sure.

But frankly, just mini cheesecakes, with a dollop of whipped cream on top, then a few scattered blueberries, and one nice big strawberry in the middle would look great, too... very patriotic. You wouldn't miss the theme. They wouldn't have to be "arranged."

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The info keeps coming!

The banquet is buffet, but we are thinking of passing the desserts, since the building that this will be held in can only do 600 plated/ 1,000 reception.

I have decided to suggest the apple pie idea, and go with my most popular banquet dessert item, white chocolate-raspberry swirl cheesecake topped with chanitlly cream and blueberry compote.

I already have both of this included in my Petit Four sampler ( the cheesecake without the Blueberries, though ) that I offer for wedding receptions, so I know that it can be done and how to do it, plus they have been very well received in the past ( The white chocolate-raspberry cheesecake outsells all other banquet desserts by 3-to-1. )

But if anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Jason

Just yesterday I was at the Strand and happened to pick up a book called Great Old-Fashioned American Desserts. Some that sound good:

poached apples with maple cream

Old Maine blueberry batter cake (a kind of baked pudding with a cakey layer and served with cream)

New England Indian pudding (for that _real_ old-fashioned flavor)

Amana Village plain chocolate bread pudding

Denver fudge pudding

Cinnamon wild rice pudding (served with berries and cream, apparently good for either dessert or breakfast)

Apple roly-poly (kind of a biscuit baked in a cinnamon syrup)

Colonial molasses pecan ice cream

These aren't 'upscale', as most traditional American desserts aren't. But they are 'all-American.' And anyone who would ask for an 'all-American' dessert and then turn up their nose at one for not being 'upscale' enough should get a kick in the pants (I mean your sales manager, not you).

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

How about a raspberry apple pie (or turnover or dumpling) served with some variation of a vanilla ice cream (cardamom, sour cream, goat cheese) and blueberry compote? You'll get your requisite 3 colors in there. On another note, cherries would work well for the red, and those are quite "All-American."

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Two ideas:

Pecan pie (with blueberry, raspberry, and vanilla ice cream, if you like)

Something with cranberries (cranberry/blueberry cobbler or pie with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream?)

Hmmm - you could also make blueberry pies with whipped cream or/and vanilla ice cream and strawberries or raspberries or syrup thereof.

Michael aka "Pan"

Banana Pudding! You can make a mountain of it and actually, when garnished correctly, it can be pretty cool looking. Made from scratch with decent ingredients, it can be a great dessert.

Make the pudding base and serve in ramekins and garnish with vanilla wafers, banana slices, and mint.

Pretty retro, very American, and even if they are loathe to admit it, most people love the stuff.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

New Orleans Style Bread Pudding with white chocolate or vanilla/creme anglaise sauce. Maybe soaked in Bourbon. That's right up most politicans alleys.

Bannanas Foster is also an uniquely american dish too, but its a flaming dessert and has to be prepared at table.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Another angle is how you present your pastries...especaily if their passed. Theres many things you can do since you have a little money to work with.

use striped joconde around your cakes or mini's, insert gum paste stars (on wires)

or do similar and decorate with multiple sized stars in red, white and blue

check out this theme in transfer sheets- theres some good patterns with this theme

I think Uster (I know someone does) has marzipan flags, very realistic

You can air brush colors onto your work, say a white colored mousse made in a mini demisphere- hit it with red or blue over the top (not completely coating it) and then insert a star cut out of white chocolate.

You can buy colored sugars very cheaply. Completely cover the bottom of your tray with blue sugar and place mini's (in paper cups) on top. This actually looks cooler then it sounds.

Maybe make a couple stars (gum paste or poured sugar on wire or sticks) and assemble them as bouquets on your trays to give the tray some dimension.

Star shaped suckers-don't laugh it could be a good conversation idea and it's 'different'.

For that matter how about strawberry and white colored/vanilla marshmellows cut into stars placed on a blue sugar lined tray....

Edited by Sinclair (log)

Here's a recipe you might want to check out from Gourmet - it had excellent reviews:

RED, WHITE, AND BLUE CHEESECAKE WITH CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST

Source of Recipe:Gourmet

For the crust:

28 chocolate wafers, ground fine in a blender or food processor (about 1 1/2 cups crumbs)

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:

four 8-ounces packages cream cheese, softened

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

5 large eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest

1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

about 1 1/2 cups raspberries

about 1 1/2 cups blueberries

Recipe

Make the crust:

In a bowl stir together the cookie crumbs and the butter until the mixture is combined well and pat the mixture onto the bottom and 1/2 inch up the side of a 9 1/2-inch springform pan. Chill the crust for 30 minutes.

Make the filling:

Preheat the oven to 325 F (300 F for dark pans).

In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy, add the sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until it is combined well. Beat in the flour, add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in the sour cream, the zests, the salt, and the vanilla, beating the filling until it is combined well.

Pour the filling into the crust and bake the cheesecake in a foil-lined shallow baking pan in the middle of the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. (The cheesecake will not be completely set; it will set as it cools.) Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake stand in the oven with the oven door propped open about 6 inches until it is cooled completely and remove the side of the pan.

Arrange the raspberries on top of the cheesecake in a star shape and arrange the blueberries around the star to cover the top of the cheesecake.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Here's another recipe to consider from Bon Appétit, also with excellent reviews.

MIXED BERRY TIRAMISU

In a fresh interpretation of the classic Italian dessert, we've replaced the traditional chocolate and coffee with berries and fruit liqueur. For a garnish, we like the looks of fresh berries, but we used frozen berries in the filling to keep it moist. They're also more uniform in flavor--and less expensive.

1 12-ounce package unsweetened frozen mixed berries

12 tablespoons sugar

1 10-ounce package frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed

1/4 cup raspberry liqueur

3 4.40-ounce packages Champagne biscuits (4-inch-long ladyfinger-like biscuits)

3 8-ounce containers mascarpone cheese*

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1-pint basket strawberries, hulled

2 1/2-pint baskets raspberries

1 1/2-pint basket blueberries

*Italian cream cheese available at Italian markets and specialty foods stores. If unavailable, blend 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese with 1/2 cup whipping cream and 6 tablespoons sour cream. Use 3 cups for recipe.

Cook frozen mixed berries and 6 tablespoons sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture resembles jam and is reduced to 1 cup, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Cool jam mixture.

Strain syrup from thawed raspberries through sieve set over bowl, pressing gently on solids. Discard solids. Add raspberry liqueur to raspberry syrup in bowl. Using sharp knife, trim 1 biscuit to 3-inch (about) length. Quickly dip biscuit into syrup, turning to coat lightly. Place rounded end up and sugared side against side of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Repeat with as many biscuits as necessary to cover sides of pan. Dip more biscuits in syrup and arrange on bottom of pan, covering completely and trimming to fit.

In bowl, whisk mascarpone with 6 tablespoons sugar and vanilla to blend. Set aside. Thinly slice enough strawberries to measure 1/2 cup. Gently spread half of jam mixture over biscuits in bottom of pan. Spoon half of mascarpone mixture over; smooth top. Sprinkle with sliced strawberries, 1/2 cup fresh raspberries and 1/2 cup blueberries. Dip more biscuits into syrup; arrange over fruit in pan, covering completely and trimming to fit. Gently spread remaining jam mixture over biscuits. Spoon remaining mascarpone mixture over; smooth top. Cover; chill at least 4 hours or overnight.

Release pan sides. Transfer cake to platter. Arrange remaining fresh berries decoratively atop cake and serve.

Serves 10.

Bon Appétit

August 1993

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Its is really easy if you think in terms of layers, especially for volume. You could do some sort of berry parfait in a tall glass or a martini glass. A pannacotta done in a glass, flanked by a blue and red berry gellee. Or a frozen dessert with layers of berry ice creams and sorbets. Just throwing out some ideas.

New Orleans Style Bread Pudding with white chocolate or vanilla/creme anglaise sauce. Maybe soaked in Bourbon. That's right up most politicans alleys.

Bannanas Foster is also an uniquely american dish too, but its a flaming dessert and has to be prepared at table.

and would sit so well with the Mormons...