• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril Live Tonight

Mayhaw Man

I don't know how many of you have an interest in this, but Emeril's show tonight is a taped episode of him visiting a bunch of places and going shrimping with the guys from R and O Seafood. You will see a very calm Emeril talking about some things that he loves (as do I, for that matter) and it is a pretty decent foodlogue of primarily inexpensive and interesting places to eat in New Orleans.

It is on now and will repeat later in the evening. I reccomend it as he doesn't yell Bam even once and is extremely repsectful of the people he is dealing with. I wish that there were more shows like this one. I might start watching him again.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Really, Emeril doesn't bother me at all. A lot of people seem to be irritated at his enthusiasm for various food items. Well, shit. I love pork fat and shellfish, too! What bothers me, and probably most people, is his audience.

Emeril: "Also, I'll add two cloves of minced garlic..."

Audience: "OMGWTF!!@! Woof! Woof! etc"

I rather like the straightforward cooking show he does on FTV, "Emeril in the Kitchen" or whatever it's called. Will probably not check out the show tonight, due to it being Friday night and my best friend's birthday tomorrow, so I'm trying to get a cake baked and the such. Tomorrow I'm also going to try preparing Emeril's recipe for Chili con Queso, as Rick Bayless or Diana Kennedy don't seem to have one, and I've been craving. It looks easier than the "Chipotle con Queso" from recipeGullet, too.

Sorry for the rambling. It's Friday!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Episode EMSP28

Big Easy Bash

Actually, even the cooking portion of this is pretty good. In case you are wondering, that is not his kitchen or his house.

That COuchon del Lait poboy with the matchstick fries is gorgeous. Maybe not traditional, but what a fine looking sandwich. :wub:

I think the deal with Uglesich's is that people have tried to turn it into something it is not. What it is, and always has been, is a very, very good lunch spot. It is not haute cuisine by any stretch (although Anthony has, rightly in my mind, taken advantage of this and raised his prices a good bit) but it is really well cooked food several steps away from a po boy joint. The seafood is fresh (most of it comes from various family members as the Yugoslav immigrants have a lock on the oyster trade and a big chunk of what is left of the shrimping industry) and it is well prepared.

The place is a lunch room across from a dairy in a crummy part of town that got discovered by local foodies (primarily people in the business who found out about it through suppliers) and the word spread from there (Zagat's helped a bit).. It is damn good food for what it is. I don't think that the quality has dropped off, only that people seem to expect to get something other than what it really is. I have been going there for about twenty years and other than adding a few things to the menu and losing real Barq's :angry: not much has changed but the prices (the neighborhood workers can only afford the sandwiches now, as the swell stuff has gotten a little pricey).

I believe that it is all about expectations and percieved value. Uglesich's was much better when it was a cheap dive instead of an expensive one.

Who's bashing? :shock::wacko:

Believe me there are plenty of people here willing, but I was actually promoting something somebody I like happened to be doing on t.v.

I agree that Uglies should be taken for what it is. But the last time I waited 60 min. seated inside for a softshell crab po'boy & Anthony didn't take kindly to some constructive criticism. I like the food but I'd rather not wait so freaking long for something so simple. There are just too many other choices.

Zeman

I agree that Uglies should be taken for what it is. But the last time I waited 60 min. seated inside for a softshell crab po'boy & Anthony didn't take kindly to some constructive criticism. I like the food but I'd rather not wait so freaking long for something so simple. There are just too many other choices.

As the great (!???!) Marv Throneberry once said, " That place is so popular that nobody goes there anymore".

It's the damn tourists. They should just stay home and let us eat ourselves to death in our squalid little backwater and stay out of the sandwich line! :shock::raz::wacko::laugh::laugh:

edited to say that I was just kidding. We need the tourist dollars worse than they need us. We love them and treat them very well. Please come visit our fair city and bring your mini bank cards. You are the only viable industry we have left. :wink::biggrin: