• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triangle Area Dining Club

scottie

Random Alias -

Have you made that China One reservation yet? I might have 2 more for you.

Could go for a little pre-finals Cantonese food!

<<Added: Actually, make that a definite 2, my husband and I.>>

- Weka

Edited by weka (log)

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

We ordered a bunch of food off the 'Chinese' menu and it was good.

:biggrin:

Umm...let me see if I can remember:

7 (or was it 8?) treasures soup

Creamy beef soup

Beef stew in a clay pot

Sautéed Shellfish in Black Bean Sauce in a clay pot (clams)

Steamed duck with sea moss

Broccoli in garlic sauce

Some type of Hunan chicken dish

The waiter was pretty cool, he seemed pretty excited about getting us to try some of the dishes on the Chinese Menu as opposed to the Americanized menu. It was a ton of food and ended up being pretty cheap as well.

Most amazing factoid of the night - everyone seemed to have a degree in archeology.

I thought the waiter was cool, too. He just made me want to smile.

The music in the dining room was highly amusing. Don't know if anyone else noticed it, but it was a bunch of really painful late 80s ballads...I know there was a Bryan Adams song in there somewhere.

On to the food...

I can give a description of the beef stew. The beef was in largish chunks (maybe a chuck or beef short ribs off the bone???) and was served in a pot with some Chinese greens and a fairly thick sauce/ brown gravy. While it was thick, it didn't have a cornstarch thickened feel to it (I didn't think so, anyway)...not gummy, just like it had been thickened by cooking. It was very beefy tasting, with nice overtones of star anise. The beef, at least the piece I got, was very, very tender. The greens were tasty, maybe very mildly bitter. There was a root veg that I wasn't familiar with in the pot as well. It tasted hard and waterlogged to me, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that's how it's supposed to taste. Despite the unidentified root vegetable, which was easily picked around as it was in huge chunks, I was quite pleased with this one.

I also liked the duck very much. I'm sure someone can give a better description, but I will say that I loved the preparation. Some nice crispy bits, but not greasy at all. Seriously, I don't remember the predominant flavoring, only that it was really good. I know someone else can help out with this one...everyone seemed to really, really like it.

Heath was very jealous when I got home and told him about the evening, and says he looks forward to the next one.

Gourmet Anarchy

I thought the waiter was cool, too. He just made me want to smile.

The music in the dining room was highly amusing. Don't know if anyone else noticed it, but it was a bunch of really painful late 80s ballads...I know there was a Bryan Adams song in there somewhere.

On to the food...

I can give a description of the beef stew. The beef was in largish chunks (maybe a chuck or beef short ribs off the bone???) and was served in a pot with some Chinese greens and a fairly thick sauce/ brown gravy. While it was thick, it didn't have a cornstarch thickened feel to it (I didn't think so, anyway)...not gummy, just like it had been thickened by cooking. It was very beefy tasting, with nice overtones of star anise. The beef, at least the piece I got, was very, very tender. The greens were tasty, maybe very mildly bitter. There was a root veg that I wasn't familiar with in the pot as well. It tasted hard and waterlogged to me, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that's how it's supposed to taste. Despite the unidentified root vegetable, which was easily picked around as it was in huge chunks, I was quite pleased with this one.

I also liked the duck very much. I'm sure someone can give a better description, but I will say that I loved the preparation. Some nice crispy bits, but not greasy at all. Seriously, I don't remember the predominant flavoring, only that it was really good. I know someone else can help out with this one...everyone seemed to really, really like it.

Heath was very jealous when I got home and told him about the evening, and says he looks forward to the next one.

Turnips I think.

Maybe Taro, rather than turnips? Have to go to bed as big exam tomorrow and no more time to write right now.

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Maybe Taro, rather than turnips? Have to go to bed as big exam tomorrow and no more time to write right now.

I think you're right about it being taro. It wasn't at all sweet, and didn't have any hint of funkiness, two things I associate with turnips. Not much taste at all, actually.

Good luck on the exam.

Gourmet Anarchy

???

I didn't know what it was myself, but I know someone asked the waiter at one point and I overheard. I do remember hearing Taro mentioned. Whatever it was, wasn't offensive tasting, just wasn't much at all. Didn't have much flavor, kind of a wierd texture.

My experience with turnips is about on par with my experience with taro.

So when are we going to do this again? I really wish I could've been there! Maybe early to mid May?

Weka,

Are you in vet school at State? I'm starting to pick up pre-rec classes this summer to go there. I'd love to PM you about it if that's okay?

Thanks,

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Ok...exams over and just learned to do some Latin Dancing for the first time last night...so for Varmint a bit more on that China One dinner. On past experience I pushed for the shellfish in black bean sauce. I don't think anyone was disappointed in the clams in black bean sauce that arrived steaming on our table in their little clay pot with the hint of garlic in it and a wonderful green long leafed vegetable. I know someone else in our group id'd it, but I can't recall what it was.

Also the only deviations off the chinese menu to the regular restaurant menu were the broccoli dish and the Hunan Chicken. Both quite nice but more in line with standard good Chinese restaurant versions. For those who haven't tried a Hunan Chicken before, it is a mildly spicy chicken, non-fried, where the sauce is the spicy component. No where near as hot as a Szechuan Chicken though.

I am happy to help anyone regarding advice on vet school and have pm'ed accordingly.

I would really really like to hit that southern vegetarian Indian restaurant in Cary before I leave town for the summer around the 14th of May. Would anyone be up for going before then. I think the place is called "The Towers?" Anyone?

Also does anyone know if there are really active egullet gaggles in either Cape Cod or Bay area, CA. I'll be in Woods Hole about an hour or so from Boston with transport, mid-May to mid-June. There must be folks in Boston! Then I will be in Palo Alto just south of San Francisco, maybe with transport, to be determined, mid-June to mid-Aug. I can just bumble on to the appropriate forums, of course, but thought I would ask for advice here first.

Cheers -

Weka

- Goethe

I definitely enjoyed the clams, as well as the duck and the beef stew. I don't remember what kind of green was in the clams, it was sort of spinach-like. I found it amusing that the duck was listed on the menu as "steamed," but was very clearly fried. I guess it had been steamed first. I thought it was pretty yummy. I also really liked the star anise flavor of the beef.

The waiter's hair was rather spectacular, I must say.

We would really like to go to the Indian restaurant. Hendrik loves dhosas (sp?).

Weka, you'd like to go before you...um...go, so when's a good day for you?

Did Thursday evening work out for people? It worked for us.

I definitely enjoyed the clams, as well as the duck and the beef stew. I don't remember what kind of green was in the clams, it was sort of spinach-like. I found it amusing that the duck was listed on the menu as "steamed," but was very clearly fried. I guess it had been steamed first. I thought it was pretty yummy. I also really liked the star anise flavor of the beef.

The waiter's hair was rather spectacular, I must say.

We would really like to go to the Indian restaurant. Hendrik loves dhosas (sp?).

Weka, you'd like to go before you...um...go, so when's a good day for you?

Did Thursday evening work out for people? It worked for us.

Thursdays work for us as well. Heath should be able to make it this round.

So, The Towers it is.Does everyone know how to get there? I can post directions if not.

Weka, since you'll be leaving soon and need to work around that, why don't you pick a date and time that will work best for you. I'm guessing everyone will be fine with working around that, since this will be your last meeting for a while.

Oh, and there is an egullet group that gets together in the Bay Area. Check out the Cali board. Damn nice people over there. Unfortunatly I didn't get to meet up with them when we were out there.

Gourmet Anarchy

Hey everyone -

Unfortunately this coming Thurs, the 6th, is out for me as I have a prior obligation. The following Thurs., the 13th would work. However, that would be my last possible night in town. I would prefer another date, any other evening except Tues. the 4th and Thurs. the 6th during would actually work fine. However, since Thurs. works well, I can delay departure to the 14th.

Do any other nights Mon, Tues, Wed the 10th, 11th and 12th respectively work better than the 13th for other people? My guess is that trying to fit this into the coming week is too short a notice for folks.

Definitely the Towers!

- Weka

- Goethe