• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Punch Topic

bleudauvergne

A block is a solid chunk of ice that can sit in your punch bowl without making the punch spill out. So you'll need to do a little measuring with water and a half gallon or gallon bottle that you can submerge while all are in the sink.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 3 weeks later...

So, if there was ever any doubt, by his own admission Jeff Morgenthaler is just a lazy bastard and he has illustrated his oleo-saccharum vacuum technique in a new video for Small Screen Network.

Some people painstakingly muddle their lemon peel and sugar bny hand; lately I’ve been processing mine in a stand mixer.

I like his approach. I don’t have a vacuum sealer but was going to throw everything in a ziplock bag for my annual Fish House Punch, and see what happens.

http://youtu.be/wbrzL9LQTaM

I'm going to be making a Regent's Punch (the original Wondrich recipe) in a few days, and this oleosaccharum thing has me intrigued (I've seen it on JM's blog for a while). I have neither stand mixer nor vacuum sealer. I wonder if the ziplock really will do the trick...

Also, Wondrich's recipe calls for:

16 oz tea

8 oz cognac

2 oz rum

2 oz arrack

2 oz pineapple syrup

the juice of a few citrus fruits, say another 8-10 oz.

a bottle of champagne (25 or so oz) "or two if you're feeling flush," as he said.

With one bottle of Champagne this works out to ~64 oz, but he said it serves about 8. Isn't a standard serving of punch 5 oz?

Also, how good of a sub is WN overproof for the Batavia arrack? Cos that ain't easy to find...

I've tried The Morgenthaler Method™ with a standard ziplock bag and it works just fine.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'm going to be making a Regent's Punch (the original Wondrich recipe) in a few days, and this oleosaccharum thing has me intrigued (I've seen it on JM's blog for a while). I have neither stand mixer nor vacuum sealer. I wonder if the ziplock really will do the trick...

Also, Wondrich's recipe calls for:

16 oz tea

8 oz cognac

2 oz rum

2 oz arrack

2 oz pineapple syrup

the juice of a few citrus fruits, say another 8-10 oz.

a bottle of champagne (25 or so oz) "or two if you're feeling flush," as he said.

With one bottle of Champagne this works out to ~64 oz, but he said it serves about 8. Isn't a standard serving of punch 5 oz?

Also, how good of a sub is WN overproof for the Batavia arrack? Cos that ain't easy to find...

Do you know anybody who drinks only one glass of punch? If you do, don't trust them.

• Like 1

I just did the same for a Regent's punch, and can confirm that a vacuum seal is entirely unnecessary! Thanks for taking the photographic evidence plunge, Princesse!

Edited to add....how the hell does one get every last drop of the stuff out of the bag?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I'll have to the give this ziplock bag technique a try. Sam's suggestion up-thread to use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment is my current go-to when I want to spare myself the tendonitis, but I see the merits of this too, especially for doing thing ahead of time.

I just did the same for a Regent's punch, and can confirm that a vacuum seal is entirely unnecessary! Thanks for taking the photographic evidence plunge, Princesse!

Edited to add....how the hell does one get every last drop of the stuff out of the bag?

You are welcome. To get everything out I added the lemon juice to the bag, and transferred the contents into the mixing bowl.

Oh man. Hosted another pop-up cocktail bar last night, and the Regent's Punch was one of four drinks served.

I followed the classic Wondrich recipe, with some substitutions:

Hennessey VS and the remainders of a bottle of Kyrgyzstani "cognac" for that element

WN overproof and Dillon rhum blanc agricole for the Batavia Arrack

Red navel oranges instead of regular oranges, and a slightly tart, large satsuma for the bitter orange.

2 bottle of Crémant de Bourgogne brut for the champagne

What a corker of a drink. Somewhat of a pain, but so worth it for the wild praise it received.

• 3 months later...

Re: oleosaccharum - might it work with pomegranate seeds as opposed to citrus peel?

No idea. We should ask Erik how his pomegranate shrub experiment went.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ellestad/status/431664300273696768?screen_name=ellestad

• 5 months later...

Forgive me if this in the wrong thread...

Most punch recipes that call for arrack specify sugarcane/rice-based Batavia Arrack (Indonesia). Where does coconut-based arrack (Sri Lanka) fit into punch history? Given that so much trade was done between India and Britain it seems likely that coconut arrack could have been used in early punch vs batavia.

If punch did come from the Hindi "paanch" (five)...and I understand that connection is debatable...then coconut arrack would be the arrack of choice.

I guess I need to read Wondrich but certainly interested in the collective thoughts here.

Has anyone here tried making a Sri Lankan arrack based punch? I'll probably mail order some (White Lion) as none is brought into AZ as I'm pretty curious about this.

Edited by BillBuitenhuys (log)

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

Forgive me if this in the wrong thread...

Most punch recipes that call for arrack specify sugarcane/rice-based Batavia Arrack (Indonesia). Where does coconut-based arrack (Sri Lanka) fit into punch history? Given that so much trade was done between India and Britain it seems likely that coconut arrack could have been used in early punch vs batavia.

If punch did come from the Hindi "paanch" (five)...and I understand that connection is debatable...then coconut arrack would be the arrack of choice.

I guess I need to read Wondrich but certainly interested in the collective thoughts here.

Has anyone here tried making a Sri Lankan arrack based punch? I'll probably mail order some (White Lion) as none is brought into AZ as I'm pretty curious about this.

Prefessor Wondrich is no doubt likely to be your best source. I recall there was a Bombay President's Punch (or something like that) in his book "Punch" that was pretty basic. Nothing else comes to mind. I have the Ceylon brand of palm or "coconut" arrack but it is relatively low proof (80 pf I think) without a really strong distinguishing character to the spirit as I recall, unlike the much more interesting but very different sugar cane/red rice based Batavia Arrack. Looks like the White Lion arrack is even lower in proof?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2