• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Punch Topic

bleudauvergne

I found a new-ish Peach Brandy from Peach Street Distillers of Colorado at my local liquor store, The Party Source:

peach_street.jpg

This an 80 proof real Peach Brandy. I have not been able to find a great deal of information about this product, even from Peach Street's own website, so I do not know its exact age. What I have been able to learn is that this brandy is made from handpicked, hand pitted peaches from orchards in Palisade, Colorado. Peach Street fermented the peaches into brandy, and then placed the eau de vie into barrels to age. The final product is surprisingly smooth given its (I suspect) youngish age. There is also a bit of "funk" (and I mean that in a good way!) in this brandy which I like.

I'm going to make a Fish House Punch for a Halloween get together with this brandy using David Wondrich's recipe via Liquor.com:

• Peels of 8 lemons
  • 2.5 cups Demerara sugar
  • 16 oz Boiling water
  • 16 oz Fresh lemon juice
  • 1 (750-mL) bottle Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum
  • 12 oz VSOP cognac
  • 12 oz Real peach brandy
  • 3 qt (96 oz) Cold water

Garnish: Grated nutmeg
Glass: Punch

Given that there's some funkiness in this brandy I am going to Cut the Smith & Cross back to 8.5 ounces, and sub in 12.5 ounces of Appleton 12 year instead. I also think that the 16 ounces of boiling water that David calls for is extraneous considering the 96 ounces of cold water that's called for in this recipe, plus the dilution from the ice ring. I'll be using Pierre Ferrand 1840 for the Cognac. Now here's my question: I would like to make this punch in advance (preferably on Sunday when I have time) and serve it on Wednesday. Does Fish House Punch lend itself to making ahead of time? I would really appreciate any guidance or suggestions on making FHP in general, and/or making this punch ahead of time, from other members.

During lunch with the Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard that the king’s religion forbade smoking and alcohol, Winston Churchill said: "I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Ibn Saud relented and the lunch went on with both alcohol & cigars.

Fish House Punch can definitely be made in advance. It's one of those things that actually improve with age. I've had leftovers that were several months old and still tasted great. I believe this was discussed earlier on this thread.

Just a quick note; I made a batch of Fish House Punch using the liquor.com/Wondrich recipe that I previously posted:

fhpu.jpg

We had a pitcher of it last night, plus I bottled the above for enjoying later. I followed the liquor.com recipe and it does call for far too much water IMHO and tasted very diluted (even before adding any ice). I had to add more spirits, then add more lemon juice and demerara syrup to adjust the flavor. The result was very tasty and went down way to easy. The color surprised me though, it turned out vaguely greenish instead of the reddish hue that I was expecting.

During lunch with the Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard that the king’s religion forbade smoking and alcohol, Winston Churchill said: "I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Ibn Saud relented and the lunch went on with both alcohol & cigars.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note; I made a batch of Fish House Punch using the liquor.com/Wondrich recipe that I previously posted:

We had a pitcher of it last night, plus I bottled the above for enjoying later. I followed the liquor.com recipe and it does call for far too much water IMHO and tasted very diluted (even before adding any ice). I had to add more spirits, then add more lemon juice and demerara syrup to adjust the flavor. The result was very tasty and went down way to easy.

I think that the amount of water is a good question. What is a good spirits to water ratio for punch (not taking into account further dilution introduced by the ice )? I've seen recipes all over the board. I've been using 1 part spirits to 0.5 part water to bottle my punch, and adding ice and more water as necessary when I serve it, but I understand that most recipes call for much more water.

There is the "One of Sour, Two of Sweet, Three of Strong, Four of Weak" formula which corresponds to 1 part spirits to 1.3 part water.

This recipe for "Just Plain Punch" by David Wondrich on liquor.com also has 1 parts spirits for 1.3 part water.

This Fish House Punch Recipe via liquor.com, also by David Wondrich, calls for 1 part spirits for 2.5 parts water (49 oz/122 oz). That's almost double compared to the previous recipe and does seem high, even though it calls for large amount of overproof rum.

The individual version of the FHP by David Wondrich (via esquire.com) uses 1 part sprits to 0.7 part water (3 oz/2 oz).

Jeffrey Morgenthaler's adaptation of the Wondrich FHP recipe (here) calls for 1 part spirits to 2 parts water (48 oz/96 oz).

This version published in Philadelphia Magazine which also mentions David Wondrich has 1 part spirits to 1.5 parts water (6 cups/14 cups).

The version of FHP published in Food & Wine magazine has 1 part spirits to 0.6 parts water (12.5 oz/8 oz).

So, for 1 part spirits, that's a range of 0.6 to 2.5 parts of water based on these recipes.

For those of you who regularly make punch, I would be interested in hearing how much water you use. I guess one way is to make it fairly concentrated and adjust to taste when serving.

For those of you who regularly make punch, I would be interested in hearing how much water you use. I guess one way is to make it fairly concentrated and adjust to taste when serving.

My current recipe (which is derived from a combination of the recipes in "How to Mix Drinks", "Imbibe", and "Punch", and feedback from this very thread) comes in at 2:1 water to spirits. (48 oz spirits, 64 oz water, 32 oz ice block). Actually it's usually less because I add about half the water, then the ice, stir, and taste. Then I add more until I decide it's right.

Dan

Dan - not counting the ice, you are using 1 part spirits to 1.3 part water, which puts you in the middle of the range for the recipes I reviewed in my post.

My FHP was delicious as usual, but maybe a little strong, and needed further dilution (we drank it too fast to let the ice do its work). I will increase the amount of water slightly next time.

Here is the oleo-saccharum.

8204369907_60d8d0356f_z.jpg

The shrub

8204411155_0d9a6b110c_z.jpg

The finished product. This was a small batch.

8205518044_c847d95c99_z.jpg

I made another Regent's Punch last weekend, but as I was assembling it I realized that I had failed to make the pineapple syrup, so I improvised a quick substitute. I made a 2:1 rich simple syrup using unsweetened pineapple juice in place of the water, and demerara sugar. The quick pineapple syrup worked perfectly and tastes great, in fact its more flavorful than the long soak method detailed in Wondrich's recipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with the Caroga Punch from PDT, http://nymag.com/listings/recipe/caroga-punch/ . I am trying to decide on a punch for Christmas for a crowd of mostly novice cocktail drinkers. Last year I made Fish House Punch and the year before was Palin's Christmas Punch, both of which were big hits for a group of infrequent cocktail drinkers. I am a bit worried that the lack of citrus juice may make it unfriendly to the novice crowd. The other option is Admiral Russell's Punch, which would fit the Christmas spirit quite well, but I personally am a bit more intrigued by the Caroga (although both look delicious!).

Regardless of what gets served, I will be sure to report back on the outcome.

• Like 1

With Earl Grey, Batavia Arrack, and dry vermouth, I think that Caroga Punch is for a cocktail enthusiast than a novice. Earl Grey is like cilantro -- a love-it-or-hate-it flavor. If you make it, I'd have a backup punch on hand too.

I assumed the earl grey infused martini & rossi was sweet vermouth and not dry, but the recipe is definitely ambiguous.

I never considered the earl grey issue as well - i love the stuff, but can see how other would not.

After reading through this thread again I think a good choice may Regent's Punch, especially since I may be able to get my hand on a bitter orange, which has prevented me from making it in the past.

Quick update on ratios - I redid my math and realized that I had actually been using a 0.7 to 1 spirits to water ratio (excluding the ice). My most recent batch of Fish House Punch was at 1 to 1 and I felt it was a good target (it's easy to remember as well!).

eeeek.

I realize I have a "situation". I am making Regent's Punch for tomorrow, and all is well.... except I forgot to get brandy. I have a selection of rums ,whiskies, cachaca, gins ...but not brandy. I have grand marnier, which is brandy based I think... but that would be such strong orange, and also...expensive....Do you think I could use a lot more rum and no brandy? Is my punch blown?

eeeek.

I realize I have a "situation". I am making Regent's Punch for tomorrow, and all is well.... except I forgot to get brandy. I have a selection of rums ,whiskies, cachaca, gins ...but not brandy. I have grand marnier, which is brandy based I think... but that would be such strong orange, and also...expensive....Do you think I could use a lot more rum and no brandy? Is my punch blown?

If it's a very elegent and dry rum you might pull it off. Ron del Barrilito 3 Star comes to mind.

• 5 months later...

Roman Punch from the Bartender's Choice app. Jamaican rum, cognac, maraschino liqueur, lemon (I used 1/2 regular lemon and 1/2 Meyer lemon) and orange juice (I used gold nugget tangerines). Powerful stuff...

8861207172_011dc90bc0_z.jpg

FrogPrincesse I'm ever in your debt for leading me to the gems of the BC App. I made this tonight (killing my Landy VS and Traveller's Belize rum), at 50% increased volume. I'm about half way through it and:

1. Excellent drink. Like spiked juice but much classier and more refined

2. STRONG. Let's see what I'm like by the bottom of the glass!

FrogPrincesse I'm ever in your debt for leading me to the gems of the BC App. I made this tonight (killing my Landy VS and Traveller's Belize rum), at 50% increased volume. I'm about half way through it and:

1. Excellent drink. Like spiked juice but much classier and more refined

2. STRONG. Let's see what I'm like by the bottom of the glass!

Glad you liked it. Cheers!

• 5 months later...

I have been asked to make a punchbowl for a 50th wedding anniversary. She is cooking nostalgic food and wants a punchbowl. I can not even remember the last time i even drank punch. I have a ton of older cookbooks with punch recipes, but i dont want to experiment with them all that much because i have no use for a ton of punch. Anyone have suggestions? So out of my usual

We are here to help!

There are many, many options to consider, but the vast majority are straightforward, fun, and extremely tasty. No Hi-C and Everclear here.

Give us a few basics:

-- how many folks?

-- what time of day?

-- any spirits to completely avoid?

-- you want something easy-peasy or more involved?

The book on punch is, accordingly, http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Delights-Dangers-Flowing-Bowl/dp/0399536167/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Delights-Dangers-Flowing-Bowl/dp/0399536167&linkCode=as2&tag=egulletcom-20">David Wondrich's Punch, which you could check out if you really want to get geeky. But start with the basics up there.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Very big family and a LOT of work friends. Age groups differ, but most over 50. I dont really have an expectation yet for the group size

Its an open house event, not sit down. I have two nice bowls and there will be a bar. It starts at 7 pm

No limitations given.

And because i love this couple, and am given limited range in the kitchen for this.. i want to wow

I am a very big fan of Regent's Punch, as are many here. Below is David Wondrich's eloquent recipe from elsewhere in eG Forums:

Regent's Punch

(This is my recipe for George IV's favorite tipple, triangulated from two different recipes of the period.)

Using a vegetable peeler, peel two lemons, two small oranges and, if possible, one Seville orange (these are difficult to find and their season is extremely short; try www.citrusranch.com), avoiding as much as possible of the white pith.

Juice the lemons and the oranges, straining out the pulp.

In a large, sturdy bowl, muddle the peels with four ounces Demerara sugar until the sugar becomes impregnated with the citrus oils.

Make a pint of green tea (using two tea-bags or two teaspoons of loose tea). While this is still hot, pour it into the bowl with the peels, first removing the tea bags or straining out the loose tea.

Add the citrus juices, along with eight ounces VSOP cognac, two ounces dark, heavy rum (I like Inner Circle, Coruba or Gosling’s), and two ounces Batavia arrack.

Then add two ounces of pineapple syrup, which you have cleverly prepared the day before by cubing a ripe pineapple and soaking it overnight in a simple syrup which you made by bringing two parts Demerara or turbinado sugar and one part water to a simmer, stirring constantly, and letting it cool (use just enough to cover the pineapple and strain it through a fine sieve when you’re done; it’ll keep for a few days in the refrigerator).

Now add a large block of ice; you can order these from your local ice company, or make it yourself.

Finally, after everything has sat for long enough to catch a chill, gently stir in one bottle of brut champagne or, if you’re feeling flush, two. Your punch is completed. It should serve about eight people.

I have found that it serves a dozen easily, and more if you go for two bottles of champagne. It's a knockout -- in every sense of the word.

Edited by Chris Amirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Oh Chris.. you totally made me laugh with this post. Begoggled. But of course i immediately began researching demara sugar. And resolve to make this. I love that he says cleverly.

Edited for my mangling of demerama

Edited by Goatjunky (log)