• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Punch Topic

bleudauvergne

Even without the Seville Oranges, the Regent's punch doesn't strictly need the orange bitters. Not that it will ruin it -- it's lovely either way -- but you shouldn't feel obligated to track down orange bitters just to make this punch (though you should have some anyway :wink:). It is worth making though, a great crowd-pleaser.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

The regents punch was a total success. It was delicious, so delicious in fact that it was gone in about 45 mins. I guess I should have doubled it (I was serving 8) but I honestly thought one batch would be enough. I had to toss together a pitcher of manhattan's really quick to settle down the crowd, all of which were on my case for not making more punch....

On another note, does anyone have a good recipe for Kill Devil Punch?

About the only issue I feel qualified to dive in on w/regard to punch is the bitters, of which I'll depart from 31knots and say that, while it won't save a bad punch from being bad, it will definitely add a dimension to the flavor of any citrus 'n rum punch like the Regent's, particularly if you're not splurging for the arrack or W&N, so if you can find a kosher version you should definitely put a bottle in your pocket. Enjoy!

Yojimbo

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

About the only issue I feel qualified to dive in on w/regard to punch is the bitters, of which I'll depart from 31knots and say that, while it won't save a bad punch from being bad, it will definitely add a dimension to the flavor of any citrus 'n rum punch like the Regent's, particularly if you're not splurging for the arrack or W&N, so if you can find a kosher version you should definitely put a bottle in your pocket.  Enjoy!

Yojimbo

Oy, well if you're not using either arrack or W&NOP then yeah I guess you might want some orange bitters. Really though, you need something a little bit funky in that particular recipe. Why omit the W&N? It's not terribly expensive.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Really though, you need something a little bit funky in that particular recipe.

Amen, brother!

Yojimbo

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
More on the Milk Punch. Sick, I chose to nurse myself back to health using Brugal anejo rum, Chalfonte cognac, and cane juice syrup. Still sick, but much happier about it.

You forgot the 2 parts NyQuil and the twist. The twist is essential.

No wonder you're still sick :raz:

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

One punch that I've yet to hear about in the forums is the Chatham Artillery punch from Imbibe. It is the last punch recipe in the book and the instructions are a little leave-it-to-the-reader but, I have to say, after making it, this punch is one of most delightful/deceitful punches I have ever made. I recommend it, top notch.

When you visit the town of savannah

Enlist 'neath the temperance banneh,

For if you should lunch,

On artillery punch,

It will treat you in sorrowful manneh.

Artillery Punch, what a name

One punch that I've yet to hear about in the forums is the Chatham Artillery punch from Imbibe. It is the last punch recipe in the book and the instructions are a little leave-it-to-the-reader but, I have to say, after making it, this punch is one of most delightful/deceitful punches I have ever made. I recommend it, top notch.

When you visit the town of savannah

Enlist 'neath the temperance banneh,

For if you should lunch,

On artillery punch,

It will treat you in sorrowful manneh.

Artillery Punch, what a name

What did you use in place of the Catawba Wine? Or do you have a source for such a thing? I would imagine that the availability of that is the primary thing keeping most punchophiles here from making it.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

What did you use in place of the Catawba Wine? Or do you have a source for such a thing? I would imagine that the availability of that is the primary thing keeping most punchophiles here from making it.

Taylor of NY makes a Catawba that some Total Wine locations carry; I've also seen it in an out of the way liquor store in unincorporated Newberry, FL. I imagine most anything from Taylor ought to be orderable online, or if a local wine shop has a distribution deal w/ Taylor, I don't see why they couldn't special order it for you.

The question then becomes, given Taylor's status as an industrial wine producer (the Catawba itself comes in a magnum), is it any good? Hard to say, as it's the only one I've ever had. Prof. Wondrich is quite right in comparing it to White Zin, though.

Incidentally, I layed down a batch of Chatham last Wednesday, so I'll be able to report back around time of the Final Four I'm thinking.

The question then becomes, given Taylor's status as an industrial wine producer (the Catawba itself comes in a magnum), is it any good? Hard to say, as it's the only one I've ever had. Prof. Wondrich is quite right in comparing it to White Zin, though.

I've been told by those in the know that the biggest difference between off-dry rose like White Zinfandel and Catawba is that White Zin lacks the trademark 'foxy' character of Vitis labrusca, of which Catawba is a varietal. I wonder, though, how critical that character is to the punch, or if it is actually desireable at all (could have just been working with what they had, right?)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 2 months later...

I recently read about this punch in Food and Wine january issue i had misplaced and recently browsed...

I am going to a dinner party, and wanted to bring a cocktail, and thought this would be a good idea...

need to scale for 6 folks two drinks apeice

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/philly-fish-house-punch

how does this version stack up?

would you reccomend another variation?

what rum and what brandy would you use for this? I have a bottle of Landy VS in the house...would this work?

(I am in the market for new light and dark rum for my shelf as it is)

thanks in advance

shanty

I recently read about this punch in Food and Wine january issue i had misplaced and recently browsed...

I am going to a dinner party, and wanted to bring a cocktail, and thought this would be a good idea...

need to scale for 6 folks two drinks apeice

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/philly-fish-house-punch

how does this version stack up?

would you reccomend another variation?

what rum and what brandy would you use for this? I have a bottle of Landy VS in the house...would this work?

(I am in the market for new light and dark rum for my shelf as it is)

thanks in advance

shanty

Just by looking at this recipe, I'd be very wary with that high of a ratio of peach liqueur. As Mr. Wondrich explains in Imbibe!, the peach brandy called for in the original was more akin to an applejack than a peach schnapps. In other words, a barrel-aged distillate of peaches and their kernels. Modern "peach brandy" is made by flavoring grape brandy with peaches and sweetening it. It's flavor permeates, so go easy: Dr. Wondrich prescribes that the peach liqueur should make up 1/16 of the volume of spirits in the punch.

Not sure how dedicated to merriment your guests are, but I've had a group of six go through a full bowl (about 5 quarts + ice block) of fish house punch in under two hours, no problem. Not something to do on a school night, mind you :wink:

As far as the brands go, I've not had the Landy but if it makes good sidecars I suspect it would make acceptable punch as well. For rum, I really like the Goslings Black Seal for the price, and if you mix equal parts of the Goslings 80 proof and 151, you have a wicked punch rum on your hands. Also to consider, while I've never made it in bowl quantities, the Fish House Punch recipe responds quite nicely to having Laird's Bonded subbed in for the peach brandy (maintaining the original preportions). Should you not have a copy of Jerry Thomas or Imbibe! handy (for shame), the recipe can be found here. Dr. Wondrich's suggestion to halve the sugar is a good one, and part of the water can be replaced with your ice block.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Just by looking at this recipe, I'd be very wary with that high of a ratio of peach liqueur. As Mr. Wondrich explains in Imbibe!, the peach brandy called for in the original was more akin to an applejack than a peach schnapps. In other words, a barrel-aged distillate of peaches and their kernels. Modern "peach brandy" is made by flavoring grape brandy with peaches and sweetening it. It's flavor permeates, so go easy: Dr. Wondrich prescribes that the peach liqueur should make up 1/16 of the volume of spirits in the punch.

Not sure how dedicated to merriment your guests are, but I've had a group of six go through a full bowl (about 5 quarts + ice block) of fish house punch in under two hours, no problem. Not something to do on a school night, mind you  :wink:

As far as the brands go, I've not had the Landy but if it makes good sidecars I suspect it would make acceptable punch as well. For rum, I really like the Goslings Black Seal for the price, and if you mix equal parts of the Goslings 80 proof and 151, you have a wicked punch rum on your hands. Also to consider, while I've never made it in bowl quantities, the Fish House Punch recipe responds quite nicely to having Laird's Bonded subbed in for the peach brandy (maintaining the original preportions). Should you not have a copy of Jerry Thomas or Imbibe! handy (for shame), the recipe can be found here. Dr. Wondrich's suggestion to halve the sugar is a good one, and part of the water can be replaced with your ice block.

landy makes an decent but not great sidecar..i was sold this before i discovered this site and its knowlege base...

unfortunately Laird's bonded seems not available to me, or my shopkeeper doesnt know where to find it in his "book"...

I think I can also only get gosling's 80, which i planned to buy anyway as summer and Dark and Stormy time is coming

any alternate rum advice for this mix...

oh and what do you make of the black tea in this version

thanks for the link to art of drink site

Edited by heidih (log)

I've made this many times. I like brandy and Sailor Jerry spiced rum as my base spirits, a Demerara simple syrup to bring that molasses flavor to the party and a better quality apricot brandy like Brizard Apry instead of low level peach schnapps. Adjust simple to taste since the apricot brandy is less of a sweetening agent than the schnapps would be. DO NOT oversteep your tea or it will ruin everything. I'm certain the brandy you have will be fine as long as it isn't too "woody". A glug of orange juice is often good in this recipe in addition to the lemon.

I'd be cautious of adding any really high proof spirits to this. I presume this isn't for a frat party, but for a group of adults with discerning palates. This goes down easily enough already without intentionally spiking it for drunkeness and debauchery. And it's so unattractive when folks hurl in technicolor. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Pusser's navy strength is another great rum for the fish house punch, in fact a great rum for punches in general.

Agreed, Pussers is a great old-school styled rum, though a little more pricey, at least around here.

I've not had great success subbing Apry for Peach Brandy, or vice-versa, peach brandy just has so much intensity it can overwhelm. It is, as Ms. Loeb points out, imperative to use something better than any bottle labelled 'peach schnapps'. The Marie Brizard is not common, even for M-B, but it can be had online for about $25 or less, which will make lots of Fish House Punch. Failing that, DeKuyper Peach Brandy isn't utterly gross, but it certainly has room for improvement.

As far as higher proof spirits, I wouldn't go overboard and start adding 151 or anything, but higher proof = more flavor, generally speaking. Of course FHP is plenty flavorful with all 80 proof as well.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I've made this many times.  I like brandy and Sailor Jerry spiced rum as my base spirits, a Demerara simple syrup to bring that molasses flavor to the party and a better quality apricot brandy like Brizard Apry instead of low level peach schnapps.  Adjust simple to taste since the apricot brandy is less of a sweetening agent than the schnapps would be.  DO NOT oversteep your tea or it will ruin everything. I'm certain the brandy you have will be fine as long as it isn't too "woody".  A glug of orange juice is often good in this recipe in addition to the lemon.

I'd be cautious of adding any really high proof spirits to this.  I presume this isn't for a frat party, but for a group of adults with discerning palates.  This goes down easily enough already without intentionally spiking it for drunkeness and debauchery.  And it's so unattractive when folks hurl in technicolor.  :rolleyes:

I have Sailor Jerry's already in the cabinet, just added Gosling's 80 today, and while browsing for something to replace the "peach schnapps" I found something called "Mathilde Peach Liqueur" and was hoping this may fit the flavor profile i should be looking for. My shop guy said it is sweeter than Peach Eau de Vie but much less than Peach schnapps...

any thoughts?

also, should i go for the goslings or use the Sailor J in this punch variiation.

(i am not a big apricot fan, so unlikely Apry, as good as it is, will ever make it into my cocktailian repetoire--its just me)

should i go for the goslings or use the Sailor J in this punch variiation.

Gosling's si, SJ no.

Mathilde should work a-ok.

Don't forget the nutmeg.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

a Demerara simple syrup to bring that molasses flavor to the party

how much? start small and add to taste?

i assume in place of the confectioners(from the F&W recipe)..?

and would i then still need the water, i would guess no...?

scott

Water is a crucial element to punch, The most successful punches in a bowl I've made have had a final abv in the finished product of between 12% and 15%, so I think it's a good idea to get the pocket calculator out and figure out how much water to add. Not enough dilution and it's definitely going to have an interesting (and not necessarily desireable) effect on the party. The rules for punch are different than the rules for cocktails.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman