• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

deleted video link

Charles Dickens' Punch (from David Wondrich's Punch book). I love that recipe; it's simple, doesn't even require an oleo saccharum (which is easy enough but needs to be done in advance), and it's so much fun to set everything on fire! I used Plantation pineapple rum and Landy VS cognac. Setting all the booze on fire was achieved by setting a spoonful of Smith & Cross on fire, and gently transferring it to the bowl containing everything else. At first, I didn't think I had been successful, but then I realized the metal bowl I was using was getting quite hot! So this is better done with the lights out so the flame is visible, and for full dramatic effect of course...

I served the punch cold and diluted with cold water, and freshly grated nutmeg.

Charles Dickens Punch

Charles Dickens Punch with Landy VS cognac and plantation pineapple, lemon juice

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

deleted video link

Charles Dickens' Punch (from David Wondrich's Punch book). I love that recipe; it's simple, doesn't even require an oleo saccharum (which is easy enough but needs to be done in advance), and it's so much fun to set everything on fire! I used Plantation pineapple rum and Landy VS cognac. Setting all the booze on fire was achieved by setting a spoonful of Smith & Cross on fire, and gently transferring it to the bowl containing everything else. At first, I didn't think I had been successful, but then I realized the metal bowl I was using was getting quite hot! So this is better done with the lights out so the flame is visible, and for full dramatic effect of course...

I served the punch cold and diluted with cold water.

Charles Dickens Punch

Charles Dickens Punch with Landy VS cognac and plantation pineapple, lemon juice

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

attempt to add video

Charles Dickens punch

Charles Dickens Punch

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Charles Dickens Punch