• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Elizabeth

Daniel

Today, got some rough news.. Not hungry, i used the excuse for a good meal to bang down some wine.  My google photo search of kittens did very little to lessen my anger.  

daily special

13564634634_5996f7b41d.jpg

Picadinho.  

A mix of crispy pieces of pork shoulder and some other fatty part, with crispy wine soaked chorico, fried potatoes, pickled vegetables and shrimp.. It was all in a thick garlicky wine sauce. 

13564591024_7933e59134.jpg

three coffees and flan

13564292493_8036847c1f.jpg

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

• 1 month later...

Fried whiting with tomato and pea rice.  

14176077632_e124dc847e_z.jpg

Whiting was fried perfectly.   The rice was delicious.. Lots of lemon, lots of tabasco.  a little less wine,  

13992090790_928dee13f7_z.jpg

lunch with two glasses of wine and two espressos was 20 bucks. 

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

13107543255_e4d1093c14.jpg

Skipped the cold carlo rossi and went Portuguese Red,, I may have had three today.. 

Tripas à Moda do Porto

13107559695_2bc235e43f.jpg

Tripe and white bean stew.. In addition to tripe there was pig feet pieces and various Chorico.. I tasted sweet and hot.. In addition they had the blood sausage too.  It's from the grocery around the corner that makes their own Chorico.. The best I have tried.  

With a shot of tabasco sauce, it was awesome..   I find a lot of Portuguese Food lends plays nicely with Tabasco.  It plays well with the wine and garlic.  

This was awesome.  I was going to go Sardines grilled and get some white wine but, the waitress said it was going to take 15 minutes.. And when someone in one tells you in Spanish that it's going to be 15 minutes.. It could be 15 minutes to 40 minutes  

13107664773_32dd921e5e.jpg

• Like 3

Hey thanks guys... Elizabeth is an interesting city with so much to offer food wise..  I am happy to share it with you all..  Now that i know people are reading, i will happily share more.. 

• 5 weeks later...

From the other day 

So, I am going to go broke, become a drunk and die of a diabetes brought on by obesity from the World Cup..  

Watched the second half over at my spot.. I now get hugs from the owner, a handshake from the busboy and a kiss on the cheeks from the bartender.

stingray, shrimp and rice. 

14451986744_21d62cbb8f_z.jpg

plate of cheese and a few coffees 

14473272883_146c3cc213_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

Today, I had the veal stew that had chunks of veal, tomato, chorico, bacon, peas, potatoes and carrots.. This was delicious as per usual..  They bumped up the lunches to 14,95 today.. Very tricky.. The place was vibrating with the cheers of the defeated.   

I arrived early, there were several saved seats at the bar.. The bastards didnt even show up till half time.. I squeezed in to a spot only to find out, non of the televisions were tuned to the US game..  

I finally talked them in to putting a tv on the US game, in the way back.. I sat by myself, squinting and standing.  

14512689264_7ae0764814.jpg

14512689564_e76640868d.jpg

two wines, two brandies. 4 espressos. 

14327408910_cb9f67e15d.jpg

14510684651_d75da3ed77.jpg

i should live in a Country that appreciates Siestas.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

At my usual place.. I get a kiss now and a handshake from the guy.. Owner comes over and makes a point to say hello.. With my mother so, i got the royal treatment.  

i got the pork chops with spicy peppers.. For dessert we had flan.  

Always nervous about getting pork chops at "foreign" places.   Most places outside of America feel the need to cook the hell out of pork.. These were medium and pink by the bone.. The kicker, topped with little flakes of sea salt.  

You can see the little slits the chef made.. I don't know if he was checking for temp or cutting them so it cooked more evenly.  

15548469767_59f93de4d8_c.jpg

A little sambucca for dessert.. They gave me 4 espresso beans.  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

This was awesome.. My wife is not eating tomato sauce while she is producing sustenance for our little guy so, I have not been making tomato sauce.  There were a bunch of things on the menu that stood out but, I couldn't pass on the tomato sauce. 

The guy three people down at the bar was eating the cow feet special and it looked awesome..But, the mussels and grouper were fantastic.. lots of garlic, a light tomato sauce, fried grouper and green mussels..  The fish store they buy their fish from, is my go to spot.  I almost bought the grouper last night so, I was happy to have them cook it for me.. the mussels were definitely frozen as all they have are the black guys.. But, these were definitely green shelled and I could tell, previously frozen.  Surprisingly, good despite me expecting them to be bad. 

Here is the menu: 

Trash fish abound:

16917939015_2c7c412c29_c.jpg

Loved the vegetables too..  A glass of wine or two and three espressos and a sambuca 

16730267988_0a061c9b91_c.jpg

• Like 1

Im so impressed.  thank's for taking over this thread from "your friend"

everybody's lunch at the Rest's are sooooooo much better than mine

but I pretend to not mind :   (   :raz:  )

looks like your selection was Spot On

I do wonder what Cow Feet are and how that worked out ....

another time !