• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Elizabeth

Daniel

The Philadelphia Grille is closed. No one knows why although there are a few rumors hitting local forums. I saw a sign saying closed for renovations. The place is completely empty. Too bad, it was my favorite place in the area for a cheesesteak.

John the hot dog guy

• 1 month later...

New Update..

2038288148_b974e92893.jpg

Is now:

Its done so well that you can't really tell but, they seem to have put up a really sophisticated awning cover..

2516711530_076d2702e2.jpg

Place now is a Mexican Restaurant..

You have to order tacos in incriments of 5.. 5 tacos for $6.37

Inside is the same with the exception of a few Mexican Decorations and a few new Saints..

2516711748_b03edb7ce0.jpg

Shitty photos..

I got Lengua, Carnitas, and Pastor.. Carnitas being my favorite, Lengua was really good however.. Pastor was just eh..

2515888741_98fae47b7a.jpg

Besides tacos they have a fairly large menu.. I think there is promise here.. They served a salsa verde and this creamy red salsa that was pretty damn spicy..

This place definitely deserves further exploration..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok well this isnt exacly Elizabeth but, what are you going to do.. I think this does say something about the proximity of Elizabeth to the forgotten Borough.. And hell, if New Yorkers don't want to claim it, Jerzy will be happy to..

Shoalin Island..

Joe & Pat Pizzeria

1758 Victory Blvd

Staten Island, NY 10314

(718) 981-0887

2611088176_0e063cae0a.jpg

The pizza here is seriously thin.. The sauce is some of the sweetest I have had.. It tasted very much like San Marzano to me.. I dont know what kind of tomatoes they use but, if I had to bet, it would be San Marzano.. The sauce is fairly simple and really is there to highlight the tomatoes.. For me, the slice was over sauced.

The crust is some of the thinnest I have had.. At the end of the pizza they do not really form the fold over crust.. It kind of just ends flattly..

I think I could eat 6 or seven slices of the regular slice before getting a little full.. I just wish I had back up so I could have tried the clam or scungilli pizzas.. Next time I am bringing the warehouse manager.Not fresh mozz, surprised to see cubes.. Though the cheese was fine..

2611088172_077c5bf13e.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos.. I am having camera issues lately..

Next up the Sicilian.. This happens to be my favorite out of the two types of slices.. I felt the bread really helped mellow out some of the sweetness from the sauce.. Like the addition off grated cheese on top in addition to the mozzeralla.. I got a corner slice.. Some of the better Sicilian I have had recently..There is a lot of cheese under that sauce..

2611088160_25b78c658c.jpg

So from door to door it was like 11 miles.. Including eating, running around looking for an Atm, and walking into some average looking Pork Store, it took me 45 minutes..

Next trip to WU-ville, I am hitting up Denino's Pizzeria Tavern..

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 4 months later...

Armando's Place

50 3rd st

Elizabeth,NJ

908-352-4406

New spot serving papusas, fried tacos, various other good food..

2950482666_849149b295.jpg

2950486734_4fa3877992.jpg

Its a small little place seems to be popular among the locals.. Perhaps another reason was the chica behind the counter.. I tried my hardest to get a picture of her.. For fear of being killed, I did not date.. Actually I tried by pulling out my phone and snapping a photo but, not on my first visit.. Well she was wearing this skin tight, perhaps tighter, short green skirt with knee high leather boots.. The dress was so short and so tight.. However, she was not the most fit lady and things were popping out everywhere.. Not to mention her bleached blond hair and makeup..

Popusas were fabulous. The best cheese papusa I have had.. I have to ask them the type of cheese next time.. Pickled cole slaw with fresh herbs in it.. It was a quick visit.. This place derserves more.. Did I mention there is a fried taco section of the menu?

2949633875_b30e5668ab.jpg

Taquitos essentially. Though the sauce was very distinctively from El Salvadore. Love the shredded lettuce they used that soak up the sauce..

3023051128_c577733fa3.jpg

3023051634_99f2006a63.jpg

3022221119_9ee94d8d3a.jpg

Back to Migueleno today:

They changed locations oddly enough.. I dont really understand this town.. There is so much moving around and places are closing all the time.. The restaurnat will change owners one day and be a completely different restaurant.. The cost of signs are expensive, so they dont change the sign or the restaurant name.. One day its a Mexican Restaurant, the next day there are Dominicans in there.. In the old Migueleno spot there is a Peruvian place opening.. Looking forward to that.

Oh well. Though the place has changed locations and owners I believe but, they have kept most of the menu the same.. The did move the sign with them across the street

Tacos de Res..

3027144007_90feb4145b.jpg

Not as much meat as they originally had.. However, the meat is flavored really well and there are crunchy bits... Really nice tacos.. Tomtatoes were surprisingly really fresh and juicy.

3027978104_b76358624f.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

El Chalatego

503 Elizabeth Ave

Elizabeth NJ 07206

908-355-2800

3040899443_ae39d32d9a.jpg

Just one of the many Central American spots popping up along Elizabeth Avenue.. I spotted a new Mexican Place that will bring me here hopefully tomorrow.. Ok, so these are the first papusas I actually have not liked.. I felt the pork was way too salty and the dough itself was way too dense..

3040899445_7dc3a82059.jpg

3040899451_8be8969615.jpg

Pork was way too salty.. Even with the regular toppings of coleslaw and a mild sort of bland red sauce.

3040899463_e83ee9e014.jpg

Besides pork I also ordered Queso and Queso Y loroco.. Loroco which I did not know at the time, is a Central American vine plant which is essential in certain cuisines.. To me I found the loroco to taste minty and green and kind of take away from the flavor.. Like eating a papusa while chewing gum..

3040899433_8c881ebaa5.jpg

I don't think I will be going back to eat papusas. However, there were a few guys eating these huge bowls of soup that I wish I ordered.

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 5 years later...

13107543255_e4d1093c14.jpg

Skipped the cold carlo rossi and went Portuguese Red,,  

13107559695_2bc235e43f.jpg

Tripe and white bean stew.. In addition to tripe there was pig feet pieces and various Chorico.. I tasted sweet and hot.. In addition they had the blood sausage too.  It's from the grocery around the corner that makes their own Chorico.. The best I have tried.  

With a shot of tabasco sauce, it was awesome..   I find a lot of Portuguese Food lends plays nicely with Tabasco.  It plays well with the wine and garlic.  

This was awesome.  I was going to go Sardines grilled and get some white wine but, the waitress said it was going to take 15 minutes.. And when someone in Spanish says that it's going to be 15 minutes.. It could be 15 minutes to 40 minutes  

13107664773_32dd921e5e.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Portugal Express

268 S Broad Street

12993719155_811bd16869_z.jpg

I think this may be the best place in Elizabeth for Portuguese Food.. Located directly off of Route 1, parking may be an issue.  The place was busy, the clientele ranged from suits to overalls. 

Portions are huge, prices are cheap.  

The start you out with a bread basket of Portuguese Rolls and the cornmeal bread.  Also green and black olives with red pepper and garlic. 

I had a couple of glasses of red wine while, my mother had a capuccino. 

12994155344_d5b235e94f_z.jpg

For 12 dollars I ordered a whiting stew. The stew consisted of parsley,garlic, butter, fish stock and white wine.. There were beautiful chunks of whiting.  Served over potatoes, I asked for a little side of lemon and I was so super happy

12994142034_6c814287eb_z.jpg

there was more than half of the dish left.

12993721855_67f0f85709_z.jpg

On the lunch menu, you can order a small version of any of the sandwiches they offer.. Garlic chicken, pork chops, steak sandwich type things.. For $3.50 we ordered this small sandwich with fries

12993756375_19cc44a4d3_z.jpg

If I were to come to Elizabeth on a Saturday night, or the next time a customer visits from out of town, this is where I am taking them.  

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Just labeled as Porco Grelhada (i speak Portuguese Menu-ese) I think I am just getting a simple grilled pork steak.. However, out comes pork and clams.. The pork steak was grilled over coals and has that very Portuguese smoke and salt thing going.. It's awesome.. With these bursting clams, lots of garlic and a little wine. This was outstanding.. 

8293936521_cd37f85a35.jpg

Served with rice and fries: 

8294991066_c36e5aa007.jpg

And a very large glass of wine and awesome bread: One glass and I am ready for a nap.. Especially when the one glass is a pint glass. I had two espressos but, the dessert brandy did not help. I am pretty sure this is why cigarettes were invented. 

8293937139_efd89ba53a.jpg 

• Like 1

Started with a 3 dollar salad

Basic old school salad.  Could have fed 4 people

9969210346_31c0ddd181.jpg

We split the BBQ'd Sardine. 6 per order for 12 dollars and a half a BBQ chicken.  This was 7.50

Sardine were awesome.. It doesn't hurt that the guy that runs the fish store directly across the street eats lunch here almost ever day.   Topped with coarse sea salt. 

9969233026_7bed4686e8.jpg

Nor does it hurt that the guy who runs the butcher shop in town was at the table across from him.  Really nicely cooked chicken. 

9969285433_89b085899b.jpg

• Like 1

More from Kylie's Place.. I had this vegetable for the first time.. It's called pacaya.. It's slightly bitter, a little crunchy.. I really enjoyed it.. Apparently it's a big thing in Guatemala. 

7852170052_0f281bc76a.jpg

Stuffed in egg with cheese. Served with tomato sauce, rice and plantains. 

7852056152_39478de0ba.jpg 

We sat at the bar, talked, drank some wine.. It was fun. It's a working class bar.. Parking lot is filled with every roofer, contractor, or commercial van within a 10 mile radius. 

8190457851_03e9e96b84.jpg
The guy behind the counter today was this guy about 20 years old.. One week in America. His uncle is the manager. I asked for a glass of wine.. I got a frosty glass of red wine. Carlos Rossi or something to that nature. 

8190454091_17b43af79d.jpg

I normally get the BBQ chicken or frango. It's delicious., not as good as the old Portugal BBQ but, that is closed. I have had their soup, their garlic chicken, the sardine stew. They have a regular menu but, you order from the small daily specials. Today, I had the BBQ Squid. Squid cooked over coals, served with olives, potatoes, peppers and onions in a wine sauce. It was pretty good. I love squid and make it at home quiet a bit. Wanted to see a new preparation. I wouldn't get it again but. it was good. Had more sauce than the photo appears. 
8191537520_dd36b178e9.jpg 

So there is this Dominican Place that has been around for at least two years that I go to sometimes.. The place is dirt cheap, the food is honest, stick to your ribs, and often times delicious.. This morning I wanted to get the typical breakfast.. It includes some baked eggs, beans, sausage, pork rind, plantains and creme.. You know, a light little something.. 

But, their mofongo is great, their daily specials on the steam table are really nice. I like their soups, their stews, pretty much everything they serve..

as I walked in , they were taking two huge pernils out in a metal baking container.. They were beautiful, it had that dark crusty sticky glazed top.. Half way submerged in its cooking juices, Well, how could I resist.. 

I got a large plate of boiled yuca with garlic, lime and onions, I asked for extra mojo.. They then topped the yuca, which I had them stop adding to the container as I was certain to eat it all.. It was all topped with the pernil or roasted pork... The tongs sunk right into the soft meat and they portioned off about a half pound or so.. They offered me rice and beans and a side of chicken soup.. I declined.. 

Breakfast/lunch was 5 dollars on the nose.. It is so good.. Only depressing thing, being done eating for the day until dinner.

6474918019_c1b16b1811_z.jpg

558 Elizabeth Avenue

(908)289-5533

I have been to Kylie's Place a few times in the last couple of months. My mother comes to have lunch with me and we like to explore various places in Elizabeth NJ. Our most recent place has been Kylie's Place Restaurant or Kylie's Restaurant Place. All we know for sure is, this place is a restaurant, serving some really lovely food from El Salvador. Whether or not a Kylie exists, has yet to be confirmed.

trans.gif

The restaurant itself is not much to look at. It's the type of place you would drive by a hundred times and not even notice it. Then, after getting out of your car and noticing it, you might not even want to enter the place. It's tiny, there are plastic sheets of fake brick screwed to the walls, there is a tiny little steam counter and a small fridge holing some sodas. There may be room for 6 tables.

kyliee.jpg

The first time we came here there were two options for lunch. The first option being this green bean and mozarella cheese stuffed egg foo young type dish, sitting in a tomato sauce.. It was called, Ejotes Rellenos de Queso. It was delicious. My mother ordered this dish and was in love. For the next two weeks, everyday she would send me an email asking to go back there for lunch.

Finally, we went back and they had a similar dish but, with potatoes. Some fried egg foo young shell, stuffed with potatoes and cheese sitting in a tomato sauce. It was served with plantains and rice and beans. The plate was 7.5 dollars and comes with a drink.

7165903084_fc1ca9d0ac_c.jpg?w=521

The first couple of times I had gone there, I ordered a stuffed cod fish dish which is delicious. The next time or two I went, I ordered, the pupusas. Now, if you are not familiar with what a pupusa is, I suggest you run out and find your nearest pupusaria. These are wonderful little stuffed discs that are made with masa. You essentially make these discs and then stuff cheese and pork or whatever you like into them. You then put them on a griddle and serve them with a slaw and a salsa. Similar to an arepa but, better. Very traditional in El Salvadoran Food.

Homemade salsa, homemade pickled peppers, homemade coleslaw.

el-salvadore.jpg?w=521

Topped:

7165903886_6c7c457193_c.jpg?w=521\

I am telling you, you need these guys in your life. You will be a better person for it!

Great little spot. If you are in the area,

Le Perrada de Chilache
940 Elizabeth Ave
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
(908) 629-9692 

4119622861_fb3f051a9b.jpg

Thanks to Mr. Rail for the suggestion.

Literally translated it means a pack of dogs.. But, in the terms of restaurants, it's a Spanish Hot Dogeria.. There are several of these Perradas popping up now around NY.. A big chain of over a 100 strong out of Columbia has recently landed in Queens I think.. 

So, On a beautiful Friday afternoon, I decided to head on over and see what was doing.. 

On top of hot dogs, they have several items on the menu. Chorizo, Arepas, fried chicken, hambugers, and polla a la brasa.. But, today, we came for the hot dogs.. 

Here is a chorizo con arepa.. I was expecting something completely different.. But the chorizo was a wonderful garlicky sausage.. 

4120395900_050674d848.jpg

My dad, who was rolling with me today, went for the super Hot Dog.. This was a foot long bady boy with shredded chicken, potato chips, russian dressing, and ketchup.. A pretty bold move for the guy.. I was expecting him to go grilled chicken sandwich... 

Here you have hot dog, then shredded chicken, then a crumbled potato chip layer, then ketchup, then ketchup mayo dressing.

4120394952_5336551025.jpg

I went for the Caribeno which was hot dog with bacon and potato crumbled potato chips..

4120395270_1ea95f65a1.jpg

Here is a biten dog

4119621379_47eb9ba1bd.jpg

Hot dogs tasted like they were pork hot dogs.. A little smokey. Buns were great as were the toppings.. My father said it was his first hot dog without mustard on it since he was like 6. 

Really impressive, love the twist to the dogs. I am looking forward to the Perradas trend hitting NYC 

Stopped by this newish place called Orientale something.. I thought it was going to be another Peruvian Chinese spot but, it is just a Cuban sandwich spot.. Two Cuban ladies eating some snack when i walked in.. They got up from the table to help me. I ask for one sandwich to go, not heated.. It was 1030 in the morning so, i wanted to heat it myself.. 

I don't know if the photo translates but, the bread was this wonderful eggy yellow

6220837856_6b92614747_z.jpg

The best part of the sandwich was the pork.. expertly cooked.. the best pork in any Cuban sandwich i have had.. So good.. 

The burnt little edges, the best part of the best part.. 

6220837494_68e5aa017e_z.jpg

You know.. when you have an office in a Cuban Neighborhood, you need to be prepared.. 

6220316413_828536fd51_z.jpg

6220836686_55d8967ac1_z.jpg

So, went to the fish market. It's the other fish market, it caters to a lot of the local people in the surrounding public housing.  It is not like my main fish place because, those guys are distributors as well.  This place is a small little place with 12 feet of ice for a few different cuts of fish filets.  There was Basa, Catfish, Salmon, Whiting, two clams and a bushel of blue crabs.. I will come here if my other spot is out of Crab.  But, it's a rarity.  

9802718214_c974d607d3_z.jpg

What they do have is a pretty nice set up.  It's a small counter on the opposite side of the room.  You are standing perhaps 8 feet away from two deep fryers which are always on.  

9802709154_632960247a_z.jpg

Note:  I would not eat anything off that bottom shelf.  

9802768793_077a9178f3_z.jpg

Behind the top shelf on the counter is the new stuff.

9802723396_bc8f4811a4_n.jpg

9802711444_66e5fc38e9.jpg

I ordered a whiting sandwich as, I was nudged in that direction.  When someone suggests something to you at a suspect fish place, you go with the flow.  

Three large patties on white bread.  As she was finishing my fries, the lady gave me a bowl of tartar sauce and had me dressing the sandwich.  I firstly salted the fish real quick, tartar'd in between the fish, a little hot sauce and put a healthy shot of t sauce on the bun.  Lettuce and Tomato got  you a look. 

9802688765_c9a6f7c8ac.jpg

Fries, as, you can almost reach into the fryer yourself, you should make sure she drops the fries a 3 or 4 prior to the fish.  Not wanting to sacrifice the sandwich for the fries, she took them out medium 

Sandwich was still hot and crispy by the time i got to the office.. Fries were eh, i am happy not to eat many fries any how.  

9802778563_c0ef88a971.jpg

Sandwich was $4.00.  A very good sandwich, better than my other fried fish sandwich last week.. The bun with the tartar sauce melted, which was great. I added some fries and hot sauce to the top bread and ate it with a fork once the sandwich broke apart.  

Next time I would most likely ask for only two patties of whiting.  As, it's too much for me but, hey, 4 bucks is an awesome deal if it were 2 or 3 filets. 

Lady was super nice. 

Thanks for reviving this thread and your extensive report. If only Eluzabeth was like that when I grew up there in the 1950s, tho we did have excellent Hewush deli and "appy" as well as great Italuan Thank heaven Spirito's survives for pizza and red sauce dishes, and DiCosmo's for lemon ice. But I've to get back up there from Phila. To try the Portuguese and Lain American goodies. And Tommy's hot dogs, of course, though the perratas look enticing.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I have yet to go to Dispirtos or DiCosmo's.. Dispiritos only opens at 5 and i am out of there by that time..  But, will have to look into DiCosmo's. 

52 Westfield Ave

Elizabeth NJ 

I have been wanting to try this place for quiet some time.  After passing it one morning, it lead me to look it up.  I tend to get intrigued by places that don't feel the need to Americanize their name. Torna A Sorrenta is going to get me more interested than say, The Pasta Bowl, The Meatball Shop or something like that.   While Torna A Sorrenta means Back to Sorrenta, I found it is also the name of a famous opera song.  Anyway, a quick search and you find out the place is family owned and has been there for at least 25 years. That's good enough for me. 

Our Party of five arrived for our 6:15 reservation.  We were the first people in the restaurant.  The restaurant is small and homey.   Men in tuxedos greet you.  That's another thing I like.  All male waitstaff in tie and jacket.  They have linen on the table. 

We sit down and order a round of scotch and sodas and gin and tonics.  We later find out, each drink is 5 dollars.  Crazy, I am so warped as a New Yorker that I am conditioned to accept 12 dollar cocktails.  Twelve dollars, please, I am freaking happy when it's only 12 dollars.  These drinks my friends, they were 5 dollars.  We ordered 12 drinks, the bar bill was 64 dollars. 

As we look over the menu, hot bread and sesame breadsticks come out with wrapped butter.  We also get a plate of olives and pickled peppers.   In addition to their menu, they have a page of specials.  A roast grouper, stuffed artichokes, a salmon pasta, asparagus with parm, broccoli rabe and sausage.   But, what catches my eye is the wine list.  it's a pretty fat book but, i later find each wine essentially has its own page.  But, they have a decent list, gavi, dolcetta, russian river pinot 2008, a langhe, all at least 5 to 6 years old and around 25 to 30 a bottle.  Easily 50 dollar bottles anywhere else.  The one wine I remember loving, we were served during a tasting menu at a 2 star michelin in Italy.  That was 60 bucks though. 

We ordered mozzarella en carozza, clams oreganata, stuffed artichoke, a shrimp cocktail and there are also house salads that come with each entree. 

One thing they really know how to do here is use that eggy topping. The mozarella en carozza was pretty perfect. Fluffy, light with melted mozzarella.. It was very good.  I could have used a thing of basil in between the bread slices but, what are you going to do. 

8636764444_23bcb5f84d.jpg

The tomato sauce here is very fresh and simple.  Chunks of tomato mixed with the bright fresh sauce.  

8635667857_7c09eed5bf.jpg

Clams a very nice rendition. 

8635661955_147be3e2a9.jpg

I have definitely had better artichokes.  I would skip these.  No real flavor. stuffed with garlic and breadcrumbs.  

8635666329_62c57c1972.jpg

I had  the veal marsala.  It was dunked in flour then egg, then fried.  It had the light shell. It was fork tender.  The problem was, the marsala sauce was not cooked long enough.  It still tasted off cheap marsala and was not finished with butter.  It was a light sauce of weak marsala.  The mushrooms and veal were very nice though.

8636599760_80c03908ca.jpg

Someone went off the menu and order the chicken picatta.  This was really nice.  Fresh lemon, perfectly cooked and tender chicken.  This dish I split with the other person. 

8636758318_ce378031d4.jpg

We had a really nice tiramisu for dessert.  A slice of ricotta cheesecake that felt like a couple days hardened in the fridge but,the taste was there.  

All in all, this is a really nice place to go in the area.  There were a lot of fish items on the menu.  Our waiter recommend i have the lemon veal, next time i will get it.  Their tomato sauce was very nice so, i would try the baked ziti or a lasagna or something along those lines.  Just don't get the marsala. 

It's open for lunch, I think it's a great lunch spot to go with a customer.  For meeting people in the general vicinity, i too think it's a nice place to go.  Entrees were 17 dollars.  

• Like 1

5 Burgers
510 E St Georges Ave
Linden, NJ 07036
(908) 718-5671

Oh my.. This is a seriously good burger.. In fact ,I am trying to think of when I had a better burger in recent memory.. It was just perfect in everywhere. Now, I understand, everyone has their personal favorites, some like thin and smashed, some like a nice big bar burger, this was kind of like a mix between the two.. It was super juicy, needing many napkins.. It was dressed kind of like a Cali Burger and definitely needed to be wrapped up.. Buns were hearty yet, super soft.. Loved the bun. 

I ordered a bacon burger it had a ton of bacon. Very excited about this place. 

Burgers came out fairly quickly, seasoned fries.. Staff was super nice. I am a huge fan. 

6766820885_1f1de7078e_z.jpg

6766818389_c34c93b283_z.jpg

6766818859_9d2b2bf674_z.jpg

• Like 1

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

655 Monroe Ave
Elizabeth NJ
(908)354-4024

Just moments in between Kean and Route 1 sits this Portuguese/ Spanish Restaurant called Valenca. It's a nice looking spot. The restaurant is divided into a few different parts. There is a place for large parties, there is a casual bar that has a separate entrance and menu and there is the more formal restaurant area. The formal area is complete with table side flaming chorizo presented by waiters in vests. steaks cooked table side on stones and wonderful Sangria. This is very much along the lines of other Portuguese restaurants that can be found in Central Jersey and Newark's Ironbound. Perhaps one could call this Red Sauce Portuguese. 

When you sit down, you are given a large bowl of salad with olives bread and butter. The salad is great. Nothing fancy, has a strong vinegar taste that is great for sopping up with the dry bread. 

We started with Flaming Chorico. 

7499173468_dc5b3af223.jpg

7499172178_255b9e1256.jpg

We also had an order of baked clams

7499164076_cc7e721875.jpg

Fried Snapper:

7499170996_530543b597.jpg

Jumbo Garlic Shrimp:

7499177966_f33b48143e.jpg

And the two of us split the Seafood in Green Sauce. Lobster, Plump little clams,New Zealand Mussels, baby scallops and shrimp. 27 dollars for a dinner for two. It comes with chips and yellow rice. Lobster was cooked very nicely as was the rest of the seafood. We were happy/surprised that it was not over cooked. This was done very well. 

7499169650_782ab4913d.jpg

7499166912_ba93201aff.jpg

For dessert we had this really lovely ricotta ice cream with toasted almonds and honey. it was delicious. The prices were really inexpensive. Appetizers that fed the table were 10 bucks. Dinners were like 18 bucks for most dishes. Service was ok. What seemed to be the big dish was their stone cooked steak. Large steaks were served on a cutting board that had a hot stone embedded in it. Diners would slice pieces of steak and place on the stone with lots of garlic butter that they provided.. It looked like a lot of fun. 

The rice and potatoes were disappointing but, overall, it was a fun dinner. 
  • Like 1

13086802754_ee11a9f5d8_z.jpg

It's directly across the street from the bank of First Street..  I assumed it would be Spanish run and owned and that Gus must be long gone.. But, I was surprised to see, what looked like a father and son team, speaking Greek to each other.   So, this morning I ordered a grilled cheese and a black coffee.. People were getting down.  Full huge breakfasts, pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns.  It was a full greasy spoon.  

13086510245_95ace5e6b3_z.jpg

So here is the menu, this is the reason I came back for lunch today..  

13086842754_f9a168aea0_z.jpg

They have two burgers on their menu. One says Homemade burger, the other just says burger.. Being a pretty inquisitive fellow, i had to start asking questions.. A burger is just a frozen patty heated up on the grill while, a homemade burger is a patty that is formed in house, made from fresh beef. 

13086817304_81a0763392_z.jpg

Now, I was super excited.. I ordered the fresh burger.  I got a aw onion cheeseburger,  a plate of fries and a black coffee..   

When the burger came out, it sort of reminded me of the burger from Newark.  Krugg's Tavern..It was big, juicy and looked like it was loosely formed..

13086647283_bd362b94db.jpg

My issue was with the quality of the beef.. It was also slightly overcooked and dried out but, because the beef was so low budget, I am happy they overcooked the meat.  

It was truly disappointing because, i thought i was on the verge of discovering a gem.    

In the end, it's a very charming and homey spot.  It's a greasy spoon where things appear to be good but, not over the top great..  It's the closest place to where I would order a cheeseburger, I just don't order a cheeseburger unless I love the burger the people are making.. I am more forgiving I guess eating mediocre pizza or something.. But, if a burger isn't awesome, it's not worth it to me. 

• Like 1