• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Elizabeth

Daniel

Great story, John. Was the menu any different for Valentine's Day? I had a few White Castle meals this summer at the White Castle in Toms River on Rt 37 on the way to Seaside Heights. This is a great stretch of road for fast food. At the Castle, I usually order four burgers, no cheese, with fries and chocolate shake. 

I'm curious about your knowledge of the meats used at hot dog and hamburger restaurants. Were you in the hot dog business? Thanks for sharing the info. It's very interesting.

Also, are you familiar with a popular hot dog place in Norwalk Connecticut called Swanky Franks, which has a branch in Wesport. If so, do you know the source of their franks?

The menu was the same for Valentine's Day. They just presented you with a written one at your table. Normally White Castle does not have written menus. I am not in the hot dog business, I'm just a hot dog fanatic who is familiar with the many hot dog joints and their products. I've been to Swanky Franks in Norwalk a few times. I believe they are closed currently due to a dispute between the current owners and the people who own the property. They use a beef and pork Hummel frank from New Haven. It is quite popular in Connecticut. It is deep fried at Swanky's. For a quarter extra, they will split it and cook it on the griddle. Many of the places in Connecticut that use this frank deep fry and then finish it off on the griddle. Mac's Canteen, Merrit Canteen, Danny's, and others prepare it this way. The frank itself is flavorful and spicier than the usual beef and pork blend. I think this particular frank tastes best at the Glenwood Drive In in Hamden Conn. They use a long 5 to a lb frank and charcoal grill it. I've been to a dozen or so places in Connecticut and the Glenwood is my favorite along with Rosco's Big Dog on Franklin Ave. in Hartford. They use a Thumann's Griddle Frank and cook it on a griddle and serve it on a buttered New England style bun. They also have a variety of quality homemade toppings like Amazing Hot Dog. Their franks come in either a 6 to a lb size (standard) or the bigger quarter pound size. If you are in Connecticut, I suggest checking out these 2 places in particular. Two others that I've heard are good, but haven't yet been to are Top Dog in Cos Cob. and Chez Leonard. I don't remember where Chez Leonard is located (I can find out), but it is a hot dog cart serving Hebrew National dogs with a collagen casing. They are also known for gormet toppings. Top Dog serves a grilled (griddle) natural casing Sabrett dog. Connecticut is partial to beef and pork dogs (Hummel, Grote & Weigel, Mucke's, Martin Rosol, and others) but these last 2 places serve a good New York/New Jersey style all beef dog. What this has to do with Elizabeth, I don't know. I tend to get carried away with hot dogs. Sorry.

John the hot dog guy

Yeh.. I was reading reviews about the place on other websites... People keep complaining about them not having butter.. I often find places dont have butter with there bread.. I dont see it being such a big deal..

My mom grew up in Elizabeth and my grandparents still live there. Every time we went to visit, we would go to Spirito's. It has been years, but I have so many memories of it. Waiting in line winding around the tables. No butter with the bread, so I would always take the parmesan cheese and sprinkle it all over the bread. Awesome pizza. Awesome veal parm. I would beg my parents for more coins for the jukebox. Daniel, you must go and report on the experience!

Great story, John. Was the menu any different for Valentine's Day? I had a few White Castle meals this summer at the White Castle in Toms River on Rt 37 on the way to Seaside Heights. This is a great stretch of road for fast food. At the Castle, I usually order four burgers, no cheese, with fries and chocolate shake. 

I'm curious about your knowledge of the meats used at hot dog and hamburger restaurants. Were you in the hot dog business? Thanks for sharing the info. It's very interesting.

Also, are you familiar with a popular hot dog place in Norwalk Connecticut called Swanky Franks, which has a branch in Wesport. If so, do you know the source of their franks?

The menu was the same for Valentine's Day. They just presented you with a written one at your table. Normally White Castle does not have written menus. I am not in the hot dog business, I'm just a hot dog fanatic who is familiar with the many hot dog joints and their products. I've been to Swanky Franks in Norwalk a few times. I believe they are closed currently due to a dispute between the current owners and the people who own the property. They use a beef and pork Hummel frank from New Haven. It is quite popular in Connecticut. It is deep fried at Swanky's. For a quarter extra, they will split it and cook it on the griddle. Many of the places in Connecticut that use this frank deep fry and then finish it off on the griddle. Mac's Canteen, Merrit Canteen, Danny's, and others prepare it this way. The frank itself is flavorful and spicier than the usual beef and pork blend. I think this particular frank tastes best at the Glenwood Drive In in Hamden Conn. They use a long 5 to a lb frank and charcoal grill it. I've been to a dozen or so places in Connecticut and the Glenwood is my favorite along with Rosco's Big Dog on Franklin Ave. in Hartford. They use a Thumann's Griddle Frank and cook it on a griddle and serve it on a buttered New England style bun. They also have a variety of quality homemade toppings like Amazing Hot Dog. Their franks come in either a 6 to a lb size (standard) or the bigger quarter pound size. If you are in Connecticut, I suggest checking out these 2 places in particular. Two others that I've heard are good, but haven't yet been to are Top Dog in Cos Cob. and Chez Leonard. I don't remember where Chez Leonard is located (I can find out), but it is a hot dog cart serving Hebrew National dogs with a collagen casing. They are also known for gormet toppings. Top Dog serves a grilled (griddle) natural casing Sabrett dog. Connecticut is partial to beef and pork dogs (Hummel, Grote & Weigel, Mucke's, Martin Rosol, and others) but these last 2 places serve a good New York/New Jersey style all beef dog. What this has to do with Elizabeth, I don't know. I tend to get carried away with hot dogs. Sorry.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

THis is a reply to John's previous note. Sorry, my reply didn't make it into my previous note. I do live in Connecticut and pass the Chez Lenard cart when he's out there on my way to and from work when I take that route. He's on Main St. in Ridgefield. "Chez Lenard is a sidewalk cart on Main Street with no address and no phone number." Tht's why you couldn't find it listed.

Here's a link to a brief report on Chez Lenard in Roadfood.com with some pix: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=72.

I haven't tried Chez Lenard's dogs yet but will do so next time I pass and will post a report.

Swanky Franks in Norwalk was closed last time I passed it, but a sign said it would reopen. The Swanky Franks in Westport is open. I bought some dogs there once, with fries. They were good.

Edited by Parmhero (log)

White Rose System

201 1st Ave, Roselle -

(908) 241-9639

gallery_15057_2785_74915.jpg

gallery_15057_2785_140346.jpg

Just incase I didnt think I had the greatest Mother in the world.. Today she confirmed it.. Only a Mother would be so willing to spend time with her child, that she would follow him to all of these places.. And as the woman with the goatee sat next to us, she didnt even flinch... Not only was today my day to complete the White Rose System Circle, but my Mother's as well.. We each ordered a Cali Cheese and split a fry..

Like the Highland Park Cousin, it was a loose meat patty with onions on a bun... For me it was missing a lot of the onion-ey and meatiness of the Highland Park Branch.. However, the bun, was head and shoulders over the doughy roll they serve you at Highland Park these days..

gallery_15057_2785_913.jpg

Great Bun:

gallery_15057_2785_1190.jpg

The fries were ok at best... I would compare them to White Mana's.. Crinkle cut disgrace.. If you are making burgers and fries.. You have very little to worry about.. For g-d sake, make your own fries.. They serve breakfast and I am certain they make there own homefries.. Just make the french fries too... The difference is night and day..

The place is definately a good place to go to.. And like H-Park, I am sure everything on the menu is good..From BLT to Breakfast.. I just think H-Park has them beat on the burger..White Rose Highland Park is still top on my list..

gallery_15057_2785_96892.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Alright, Daniel! You've delivered. The White Rose Burger looks highly reminiscent of the now deceased White Diamond burger on Bayway Ave. in Elizabeth. Too bad about the second-rate crinkle-cut fries. The fries at White Diamond were excellent. I agree that a place that specializes in burgers has to have top-shelf fries.

Now, how about that Spirito's visit? I may beat you there. I'm thinking about a shootout between Spirito's in Elizabeth and Sally's in New Haven CT. Who is the cheese pie champion?

From pizzatherapy.com: "No other city has better pizza than New Haven and Sally's is the TOPS there."

http://www.pizzatherapy.com/sallyfans.htm

From Yahoo User Reviews : "Spirito's Is One Of A Kind And A Must Eat...

Famous perhaps for its pizzas, but any dish served there can stand on its own two feet."

"People rave about the pizza, but they have the best homemade cheese ravioli on earth."

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=10748248...sz=Elizabeth+NJ

• 3 months later...

Today I ordered in from Portugal Barbeque again.. This dish was really good.. For 11 bucks I received 6 whole Sardines grilled over the open pit.. Several Potatoes boiled, and a salad.. I poured apple cider vinegar over my potatoes.. Something from my childhood, that I just love..

The sardines were as good as I have ever had them.. Wonderful lunch..

gallery_15057_2971_63973.jpg

Portugal Barbeque

908 289-6554

208 clark pl

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 1 year later...

I was born in Elizabeth and my grandfather (Duke) used to cook for chicks I belive in the 60's and 70's I am glad to see that they are still going strong the last time I was in the city the place looked shut down guess they were just remodeling used to eat in there quite often Duke was well known in the area he had quite a few jobs in Port Elizabeth at Al's 516 and in the old Singer Building there was a lounge near by that was cuban Belum Lounge or somthing like that that had great food also. :rolleyes:

Had to pass by Elizabeth today, so we had lunch at Chick's.. Was happy that I was able to have some wine because its Saturday...

They have a regular menu, but I find the specials come out more quickly...

gallery_15057_2564_5541.jpg

We started with shrimp and garlic from the regular menu.. Garlic, wine, oil, shrimp, lemon and a couple shots of red pepper.. Whats not to love..

gallery_15057_2564_66095.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2564_42985.jpg

From the Specials..

Perfectly char grilled Sea Bass..

gallery_15057_2564_81174.jpg

The Special Pork and clams with fried potatoes, and pickled vegetables.. This dish was just superb, the pork, clams and fried potatoes, were hanging out in this garlic stock, and the pickled vegetables cut through really nicely..

gallery_15057_2564_20466.jpg

Tiramisu:

Not great.. But the entire thing was marscapone.. So how bad could it be..

gallery_15057_2564_26515.jpg

Flan was a little grainy.. But good..

gallery_15057_2564_26366.jpg

Cortado like drink.. Maybe they call it cortado too.. Steamed milk and espresso.. Really milky and frothy.. A drink like this and I am ready for a nap..

gallery_15057_2564_19392.jpg

Place is friendly, clean, a good value, and I would say close to being great.. I have never had a bad meal here..

• 1 month later...

Hello,

My name is Daniel and I am addicted to El Migueleno..

Started with a meat? and cheese papusa..(most likely pork) Also served with a coleslaw type mixture.. This was heaven!

2141040357_1d39ce194f.jpg

Also got a grilled chicken sandwich that had the same spice as the Quail from yesterday.. Fantastic.. I asked for no french fries.. I am learning that the put the kitchen sink in their sandwiches.. From fries, to raddish, and cucumbers.. Oh and a fist full of mayo..

2141833522_bc30590fb4.jpg

El Migueleno-

(908)282-0190

124 1ST ST Elizabeth NJ

Food from El Salvador, this restaurant has been open for a little over a month.. I think there is another branch in Union NJ.. I am not really familiar with food from El Salvador but, of course would love to be..

2118578574_6422786668.jpg

On the window they say they specialize in sandwiches and soups from El Salvador.. I asked the girl what is different about their sandwiches and they say most of the time it comes with lots of vegetables and french fries in the sandwich.. I think I made out long cucumbers too.. But she could have been saying something completely different

Having a lot to do today and kind of just wanting to get lunch, I decided on grilled steak tacos.. Three tacos came on flour tortillas.. The tortillas were grilled and very soft.. The meat was charred nicely, of good quality.. Nothing too out of the ordinary, just done really well and for 5 bucks, its hard to beat..

Will go back and try some more tricky dishes soon..

2118578432_ae18728d5a.jpg

Ten minutes goes by and the girl behind the counter hands me a plastic bag with a steaming hot styrofoam container in it.. The smells coming out of the bag are just fantastic.. I still, at this point, have no idea what its going to be.. Its a little too light for fish, it doesnt smell like meat or pork.. If my office was not so close, I might have pulled over and eaten it in the car..

So here it is.. Wonderful blackened quail..

2138209891_59420f605d.jpg

The skin is crispy and coated with this fabulous spice mixture.. Its sort of like blackened, put more complex in flavor.. It had a nice heat but, it was not overwhelming.. The meat itself was the best prepared quail I think I have ever had.. In fact, this might have been the best quail I have ever had.. And quail is something I use to cook weekly in my house.. Joel Rubochon's, Batalli's, Frank Stitts', they all were not as good as these puppies..

Rice was fantastic and so was the price.. For 8 dollars, you get three whole quail.. Now compare this with the single quail you get for 12 bucks around Manhattan and you can certainly see the bargain..

Love this place, can't wait to try more things..

Guananica

301 elizabeth ave

Driving by, I happened to see a sign that said "Best pupusas in NJ" above a small little restaurant.. Being that I am on a recent pupusa kick, how could I possibly pass this up..

I walk in and the place seems nice enough though, a little bare.. Not much going on in the display cases where signs labeling areas for empanadas were.. Pollo, Chicharrone, Carne, and Plaintain were some of the options..

Like most of the restaurants in town, the menu is really just sort of for display.. Sure you can order what you want from the menu but, it will take close to 40 minutes to get your food.. The real ordering takes place off the daily specials menu..

I order three pupusas.. Two Chicharrone with Cheese, and one with cheese and peppers. The cheese is something I have never heard of and do not remember the name.. It was something like Locozo cheese..

Sorry for the lighting.. Here are the three served with the coleslaw that seems to be popular with Salvadorian Food..

2163457726_2caa15e68e.jpg

Here is the inside of the Pork and Cheese.. The pork and cheese were fantastic.. My only problem was the pupusa was a little soggy.. I really like the crispness of the pupusa pictured on a previous post..

2163457178_10dc1e764c.jpg

They were really wonderful.. The owners, husband and wife.. Husband from El Salvador the wife from Nicaragua.. The menu however is pretty sparce.. As I was sitting, three different phone calls came in ordering this huge special platter.. From Chicharrones, to steak, plaintains, and rice.. It seemed like it could feed several people..

I wish them luck but, will stick with my people over at Migueleno..

Daniel, is that cole slaw IN A BAG?!? :blink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...
I can confirm that there is still a White Castle at the corner of Elmora and Westfield avenues. I think it's open 24 hours a day. Judging by the scene I've encountered, the same guys who were at the counter at 1 am in the 60's may still be hanging there

If the George's hot dogs mentioned up thread was on Bayway, it closed 5 or more years ago and is now an Italian place called - I think - Pinocchio's.

Hey Guys,

I found this thread on google searching for new places to eat in elizabeth and I figured I would throw in my experiences and my memories.

Georges Hot Dogs used to be on South Elmora Ave and maybe its been closed down maybe 4-5 years now. There is currently a Subway where Georges Hot Dogs used to be. Pinocchio's has be around for years before I think I was born and I am only 22 in July. The White Diamond on Bayway Ave closed down maybe 14 years ago but there is one on East Elizabeth Ave in Linden which make killer breakfast sandwiches. Joey's Pizza used to make awesome sandwiches and pizza but they closed down maybe 9 years ago, actually they had a fire, and now in place is Spinners Pizza. Spinners has awesome jamaican beef patties but not better than Elizabeth Pizza on Elizabeth Ave.

Another place that is great for lunches is Vilencia, probably spelled it wrong, its on Madison or Monroe Ave in Elizabeth always forget which one but its on a corner. The best european style steak in my opinion and if you have time to sit down for the lunch order the steak on the stone. You cook your own steak on a heated stone. Mojitos on Bayway Ave is pretty good too but if your a true cuban, like me, you wouldnt really like it as it is more a hippier style of cuban food and not any of the stuff grandma used to cook for you and I dont think they are open for lunch.

If your looking for good true old style cuban food Alverez Cafe on Elizabeth Ave is the best in town. Tapas of Spain which is on the 1&9 is pretty good too. Its right by bayway circle next to the car dealership. I also dont know if they are open for lunch. There used to be an old fish restaurant where they had a upside down boat and a pirate out front for those of you who know what I am talking about.

Front Street is Great! I know one of the owners for a very long time. He used to live in the hearts of elizabeth, Peterstown which no one refers to it anymore. So he knows how to please the people of elizabeth. Kings of Subs its on the corner of Pearl and Third I believe. Its right across from to the Saint Anthony's Grammer School. The have awesome subs and never had a complaint but also havent aten there in a very long time.

Another place which you may be able to pop in for lunch is Destino's Lounge. They turn it into a night club at night but the food is excellent. The cheif is one of the most intelligent ones I have seen in a very long time. She knows all the ingredients known to man I believe.

As I think of more I will pop in and throw it in.

Only a couple more weeks before the Lemon Ice is back!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I created a google map devoted exclusively to showing the locations of most of the restaurants in this thread:

Egullet Elizabeth Map

The names of the eateries are listed on the left. If you click on the name, the balloon that pops up over the map will also show links back into the thread to the exact posts (when possible) where the restaurants were discussed. The links will say "Egullet Review" or "Egullet Mention". I thought it might be useful for anyone interested in visiting Elizabeth to have all the locations/information organized so they wouldn't have to search through the thread..

I was unable to find an exact location for Jerry's Frankfurter's. If anyone has an address I'll stick it up on the map.

Jerry's is at 906 Second Ave. a few doors down from Tommy's.

Would you happen to have the official name and a phone number as well? Google will let me add it to their database, (edit:added to map as of 4:15PM ET 4-3-2008)

Edited by titmfatied (log)