• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar

innocente

If you're worried about the wait, here is the trick : go when the Hockey team plays the play offs !! :cool:

I've had a great dinner there on thursday night, it was half full only.

I had not realised how important this sport was here, obviously :wink:

Again, excellent food, bearable service.

The swedish meatballs with cloudberry sauce and mashed potatoes were outstanding !

A strong recommendation if you see it on the menu.

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

• 8 months later...

I see that the last post about JK's Wine Bar was last April...

Has anyone been there more recently than that? I'm back in T.O. after a very long absence and I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Does anyone know if the wait is still considerably long on a Saturday around 9pm? ...and more importantly, is the food still as good as was reported when they first opened?

I'm definitely looking forward to the massive selection of wines by the 3 + 6oz servings! :raz:

Thanx in advance!

I see that the last post about JK's Wine Bar was last April...

Has anyone been there more recently than that?  I'm back in T.O. after a very long absence and I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

Does anyone know if the wait is still considerably long on a Saturday around 9pm? ...and more importantly, is the food still as good as was reported when they first opened? 

I'm definitely looking forward to the massive selection of wines by the 3 + 6oz servings!  :raz:

Thanx in advance!

How was your visit cava girl? I haven't been in awhile and would love to hear a current report -- and welcome back to Toronto. Where have you moved back from? What have you tried since you've returned?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Hey Jake:

Thanx for asking about my experience at JK's Wine Bar last night. I'm still in the process of moving and my 'net connection is sporadic, so I'll have to log in again in the near future and give you more of a detailed review re: the actual food and wine.

Suffice to say that my date and I did thoroughly enjoy ourselves, the food, and the numerous 3oz wine tastings (deee-lish!)...but I can't say that I thought our 1 1/2(!) hour wait was worth it.

Would have been O.K. if we'd at least had the option of having drinx at their bar while waiting, but the entire bar is taken up by people dining...and there is absolutely no waiting area. So their somewhat lame solution is to have folx wander the area looking for a bar to wait patiently at (cheezy tourist pubs all around), staying on the alert for their cell phone to ring. Wasn't very impressed by that, but it really is my only complaint...that and the fact that the hostess was super-snippy, and the sad news that they had run out of Jamon Serrano by the time we were seated. :hmmm:

Still, the amazing selection of wines more than made up for it! If I think of more details worthy of relaying, I'll definitely post them. Looking forward to perusing the T.O. boards for some hot leads when I have the time.

Glad you enjoyed the food, sorry to hear about the ham. It has been available at the market for a few months now. We buy it often. I'm somewhat amazed at the wait time at this time of year, but I guess that says good things about the place. Please do report back re the food/wine as well as your interests. Are you in the business?

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you all seem to be enjoying the wine selections at Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar

And I am sorry to hear of those who have been less than impressed by the service.

I do happen to know that they are going to great lengths to remedy this.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

There is actually a rather eloquent diatribe explaining the reservations policy on the JK website at www.jkkitchens.com

"Reservations, are taken for lunch only, with the last seating at 3:30 p.m. Generally, the room is fully booked a day ahead, but be sure to call mid morning to catch any last minute cancellations. Dial 416 362 1957 ext 354, - if the line is busy, leave a voice message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

The Wine Bar has only a few tables, and a majority of the seating is at one of two bars. If you require a table, please make sure that we know, so that we can best accommodate you.

We encourage diners to relax and to explore the many food and wine choices that we offer each day without the pressure of a time limit. For this reason, we take no reservations in the evening.

In the evening, we seat guests in the order in which they arrive. We make every effort to accommodate each party as quickly as we can, and so, parties of two will be offered the first two seats that come available - parties of four will be offered the first group of four seats that come available and so on.

Larger groups may experience considerable wait times, as it is difficult to assemble larger groups of seats. Our staff will be able to give you a reasonable estimate of the time it will take.

Once you have left your particulars, you need not wait in line - our staff will contact you by mobile phone (if you have one) when seating is available. You are free to explore the many shops and establishments in the Historic Market District. "

And I happen to know that diners are invited to spend the entire evening there if they so wish... nobody is ever asked to vacate their table... so it's basically the same policy as Roubichon's Paris hotspot... and many who need the security of a reservation have the same gripes there.

However... both destinations are mobbed almost every damn night... so they must be doing something right.

There are some okay places to pop in for a wee drink around there... and there are a few new spots opening too... in the old Nia place for example.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

There is actually a rather eloquent diatribe explaining the reservations policy on the JK website at www.jkkitchens.com

"Reservations, are taken for lunch only, with the last seating at 3:30 p.m. Generally, the room is fully booked a day ahead, but be sure to call mid morning to catch any last minute cancellations. Dial 416 362 1957 ext 354, - if the line is busy, leave a voice message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

The Wine Bar has only a few tables, and a majority of the seating is at one of two bars. If you require a table, please make sure that we know, so that we can best accommodate you.

We encourage diners to relax and to explore the many food and wine choices that we offer each day without the pressure of a time limit. For this reason, we take no reservations in the evening.

In the evening, we seat guests in the order in which they arrive. We make every effort to accommodate each party as quickly as we can, and so, parties of two will be offered the first two seats that come available - parties of four will be offered the first group of four seats that come available and so on.

Larger groups may experience considerable wait times, as it is difficult to assemble larger groups of seats. Our staff will be able to give you a reasonable estimate of the time it will take.

Once you have left your particulars, you need not wait in line - our staff will contact you by mobile phone (if you have one) when seating is available. You are free to explore the many shops and establishments in the Historic Market District. "

And I happen to know that diners are invited to spend the entire evening there if they so wish... nobody is ever asked to vacate their table... so it's basically the same policy as Roubichon's Paris hotspot... and many who need the security of a reservation have the same gripes there.

However... both destinations are mobbed almost every damn night... so they must be doing something right.

There are some okay places to pop in for a wee drink around there... and there are a few new spots opening too... in the old Nia place for example.

Ah, yes, nondoctor, thank you for posting that for those who may not have read about the reservations policy.

I had indeed had a look at JK's site before heading out that evening, and was inspired to call ahead and ask if it would be smarter to arrive super-early or later on, around 9pm. I was told that the shortest wait would be around 9pm, so we arrived then....and was told in person that it would be an hour and a half wait.

I don't mind not having a set reservation at all. I've lived in Europe and love the idea of sitting at a bar in a restaurant, enjoying my drink and conversation with my guest(s) while waiting for a table. In fact, it's a leisurely pace that I wish was the norm in North America.

However, not being able to actually sit and relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the same restaurant that you're going to dine in, is a bit irritating to me. Especially when the choices in the area are really not *that* great (a few pubs, a large beer hall, a couple of tiny bistros with no bar to sit at, and of course, The Old Spaghetti Factory) -- I have to shudder at the thought of starting out my evening at any of those spots before embarking upon a very fine dining and wine-tasting experience at JK's. It just kills my mood.

Again, I loved JK's -- I just wish they'd find a solution for all of us very patient fans, since there is no option to sit at the bar and enjoy their inexhaustible wine list (and we were indeed patient -- an hour and a half in a tourist restaurant's bar, waiting for my cell to ring -- is not something I've been willing to do before!). :raz:

I do hope to hear of improvements, as I have friends visiting soon who are eager to have a JK experience of their own.

• 8 months later...

After reading many glowing reviews, and having JK cater an event for us a few years ago, I was eager to try his food again. I had made reservations for last night for my GF and her son.

The first item was an amuse bouche of smoked pickerel on potatoes. We all though it was great and were excited for the food to come.

We had had his fries at our event a few years back and wanted try them again, they were good, but the salt level was very high.

For appetizers we ordered the Oyster & Clam chowder, Streets of Toronto (small Pork burger with cheese on fries, mushroom "pizza" on puff pastry and cuttle fish salad) and a Composed Fall Salad.

The Oyster & Clam chowder was unbearably salty, we each took a sample of the broth and we all agreed, this is probably the saltiest thing I had ever tasted!!

The "Streets of Toronto" was better, I really enjoyed the cuttlefish and the Puff Pastry Mushroom Pizza was very boring with very little going on, maybe a hint of Truffle oil in there somewhere.

The Composed Fall salad was another terribly boring item, not much going on and not that memorable really.

For our entrees we had Braised & Roast Pheasent, Fluke & Shrimp and Red Snapper.

The Braised half of the Pheasent was great, but the roasted part was very dry and way too salty again, it was all served over top of potatoes and cracklings that were all way way WAY too salty.

The Fluke & Shrimp was good, but again the sauce was WAY too salty.

The Red Snapper was served Table side (this service method had issues of its own that I'll leave out) and was done in a salt crust, so we had great fears of yet another overly salty dish. The fish it self wasn't all too salty at all but the sauce that was poured over top made the entire dish unbearably salty again.

We were all terribly disappointed with food, I could not believe it. We have heard nothing but great things from other friends that have gone. But there is no way I could ever recommend the food there based on the salt levels in our food. It made ever dish a challenge to eat. We didn't bother with desert and decided to go home.

The only reason I can think of for this is that we were there on a Sunday night? Anyone else have as salty an experience??

Edited by Manolo (log)

Maybe the cooks were all surreptitiously knocking back drinks? :rolleyes:

I know when I cook and have wine, beer or whatever, at the same time, I tend to over-salt. Plus, you said you went Sunday night, probably the night when JW and the more 'strict' managers aren't there. I know that waiters and cooks tend to have a few back in the kitchen on such nights. I won't go into more detail, but I've seen it happen.

(A joking suggestion, but you never know. Could be true!)

Edited by KevV (log)

Maybe the cooks were all surreptitiously knocking back drinks?  :rolleyes:

I know when I cook and have wine, beer or whatever, at the same time, I tend to over-salt.  Plus, you said you went Sunday night, probably the night when JW and the more 'strict' managers aren't there.  I know that waiters and cooks tend to have a few back in the kitchen on such nights.  I won't go into more detail, but I've seen it happen.

(A joking suggestion, but you never know.  Could be true!)

Wow, KevV, you must be very tight with the crew at the restaurant to know what they "might" be doing when the chiefs are away. I am pretty sure that there would be other factors involved in a case of oversalting rather than your suggestion.

If you've worked in kitchens that like to do that sort of thing on a night when the there are junior supervisors, that speaks of the class of restaurant that you've worked at. Unless you've spent time at JK's stoves and know something for sure, I'm gonna say you're suggesting something a wee bit slanderous....

you never know, it could happen...

Well, with the reported over-salting of food, and now rumours of kitchen drinking getting some people worried, I just wanted to point out that - as indicated by my telltale use of 'rolleyes' (ie. :rolleyes:) and comment about 'a joking suggestion' - that the purported kitchen drinking is, in fact, only a joking suggestion. Still, as far as I'm concerned a kitchen crew can drink all they want as long as they do their work well. And, you know, it happens.

As for the salt issue - no one has responded to that, but I suppose drink allegations are more scandalous than mis-measured ingredients or sodium sabotage.

And someone wrote:

If you've worked in kitchens that like to do that sort of thing [drinking]... that speaks of the class of restaurant that you've worked at.
Oh, you must mean the good places. ... Anyway, sounds like a bit of a put-down, thank you Fung Jiao Bao. You sound like a serious person, and so I refer you again to the rolleyes above.

I've been to JK Wine Bar twice now, ironically both times on Sundays, and the food has been great. Have not had any oversalting experiences. Don't mind it if the cooks or waiters drink up either, as long as they remember to pour me a glass too! :biggrin:

I've also had his food in the past and have loved it. That is why this came as such as shock as the food was unbearably bad, the salt made it impossible for us to even finish our dishes.

... What I think we mean is that, if you had complained, the staff might have been forced to share some of their kitchen drinks stash to keep you quiet. Free drinks to compliment your salt dishes! :wink:

(Teetotallers: Please note use of 'wink smilie.')

... What I think we mean is that, if you had complained, the staff might have been forced to share some of their kitchen drinks stash to keep you quiet. Free drinks to compliment your salt dishes! :wink:

Ahh, the rolling eye indicates joking... perhaps i was too serious. Point taken...

but to go back to the real topic and oversalting... I was wondering how Manolo(and others of course) feel about the use of fleur de sel or another coarser grained salt on the top of dishes as the possible cause of some the oversalting. In my mind, texturally the salt can be a good move on things like pate, and terrines. But I think this business of putting salt on everything as it goes out the door into the dining room can definitely contribute to the oversalting.

Another thing I think about is that sometimes cooks forget that the customer is eating a whole portion/plate of whatever the cook is preparing. Conversely, I think the cook only eats one mouthful of the dish to check for seasoning and composition of a plate sometimes, and seasons according to the needs of that one mouthful only. What do you think?

you never know, it could happen...

I think perhaps the biggest mistake was not speaking to the staff about the problem, therefore giving them no opportunity to correct it. It is indeed Manolo's choice not to return, but perhaps not entirely fair to the establishment who were unaware there was a problem.

I think perhaps the biggest mistake was not speaking to the staff about the problem, therefore giving them no opportunity to correct it.  It is indeed Manolo's choice not to return, but perhaps not entirely fair to the establishment who were unaware there was a problem.

I understand that they should be given the opportunity to correct the problem most of the time, but in this instance it was almost every dish out of the 7 ordered that came out salty, almost to the point I thought it was normal there..

• 3 months later...
I understand there are no reservations; has anyone tried to get in lately? How hard would be to snag a table for 2 on a Wednesday? Or a Saturday?

I'd love to try it, but I don't want to waste a baby sitting night waiting in line or settling for the Beer Markt.

Going on a Sunday is one of TO's best kept secrets. We always just walk in, no wait.

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."