• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Boar

A Balic

Oh, that was just a joke to myself. There was a thread on "The Man Who Ate Everything" in the media section of egullet (November I think), he seems to induce strong emotions in some people.

The boar did have a lot of surface fat, but that wasn't a bad thing as is cooked off and keep the meat tender.

I did some extremely unscientific poking around on the web and found this:

Country style ribs

Country style ribs are actually not ribs at all but are cut from the blade (front) end of the loin, right behind the upper portion of the pork shoulder.  They are more like fatty pork chops than ribs.  While they have more fat per pound than any of the other styles of ribs, the fat is in layers and the meat between those layers is leaner and less marbled than most other ribs.  They are the meatiest of all the "ribs".

Note:  Because country style ribs are not true ribs, they are not legal under KCBS rules for the ribs category.

So I guess I was wrong about country style being cut from the shoulder, and it's probably a matter of semantics whether you want to call the bit just south of the shoulder "ribs" or not.  I don't care about KBCS barbecure rules, so "country-style ribs" works for me.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I know your birthday is well past, but the next time you get boar, try smoking it.  For the last summer solstice my friends and I smoked in addition to a wild boar roast, a whole goat (cut up into pieces), venison and a rabbit.  The boar was the best, smoked over about 6 hours for a 4 lb roast, the pork fat rendered and man was it delicious.  We smoked the boar and most of the goat over maple and the rest over hickory.  As with any pork or poultry, I highly recommed brining for a couple of days beforehand.

btw, brined pork back ribs smoked for about 4 hours at a low temperature w/o any sauce (a dry rub if you must) is food of the gods and my personal favorite for bbq.  Most sauces hide the smoke flavor.