• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamantashen

Sandra Levine

Anybody make any hamantaschen in the last 10-11 years? 😁

This year I made:

Prune, apricot and poppy seed in vanilla dough

Raspberry almond frangipane

Raspberry cheesecake in graham wafer crust

S'mores (just used some chocolate chunks and marshmallow fluff in graham crust)

IMG_20210214_174238_530.jpg

IMG_20210214_105724_070.jpg

IMG_20210208_170919_420.jpg

IMG_20210131_191257_914.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Pam R said:

Anybody make any hamantaschen in the last 10-11 years? 😁

This year I made:

Prune, apricot and poppy seed in vanilla dough

Raspberry almond frangipane

Raspberry cheesecake in graham wafer crust

S'mores (just used some chocolate chunks and marshmallow fluff in graham crust)

IMG_20210214_174238_530.jpg

IMG_20210214_105724_070.jpg

IMG_20210208_170919_420.jpg

IMG_20210131_191257_914.jpg

Wow!  I never liked the hamantaschen in Hebrew school (store bought) but yours look great!

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Do you use A/P...I know you Canadians have some fancy flour up there?

Yep, A/P flour for the regular dough and a mix of A/P and whole wheat for the graham wafer.  I do know our A/P flour is different up here -- I think it's higher in protein/gluten.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

Wow!  I never liked the hamantaschen in Hebrew school (store bought) but yours look great!

Honestly, most hamantaschen are terrible - those are not easy cookies to get right. But when their good, I love them. Classic poppy seed filling is my favorite.

But those above are all creative and tasty sounding as well.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, shain said:

Honestly, most hamantaschen are terrible - those are not easy cookies to get right. But when their good, I love them. Classic poppy seed filling is my favorite.

But those above are all creative and tasty sounding as well.

See, everybody says this, but the only bad ones I've ever had are the mass-produced ones from large bakeries.   Any that my grandmother or mother baked when I was younger were delicious and once I started making them myself, well, I like those too. ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pam R said:

See, everybody says this, but the only bad ones I've ever had are the mass-produced ones from large bakeries.   Any that my grandmother or mother baked when I was younger were delicious and once I started making them myself, well, I like those too. ;) 

Then your mother and you are are better bakers most home bakers who's cookies I had the chance to try - so many are dry, floury, too soft or made with margarine (why?!). There are large high-end bakeries here that do good hamantashen, many with creative flavors as well. But the cheaper mass produced ones are indeed bad.

I haven't made any in years, I had a recipe I loved that had almond meal in the pastry, and plenty of butter.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

8 minutes ago, shain said:

- so many are dry, floury, too soft or made with margarine (why?!).

I do bake mine with butter, but if they need to be parve,  people use margarine.  I've never made a recipe with oil that I liked,  but if I had to, I'd use a good margarine (there are a few okay margarines out there now - much better than they used to be,  like Earth Balance). Having said that, I can't remember when I last made a batch with something other than butter. 

• Like 1

Here's some high-end hamantaschen ($40/doz + shipping) from Zingerman's. I've never had them, so I can't testify one way or the other, but their rugelach is excellent.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

14 hours ago, shain said:

Then your mother and you are are better bakers most home bakers who's cookies I had the chance to try

I think you need to give them all a copy of Pam's Cookie Collection (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think you need to give them all a copy of Pam's Cookie Collection (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)!

Thanks, Mitch! And here are some other recipes (for the ones I shared earlier). ;)

• Like 1