• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamantashen

Sandra Levine

We were disappointed with the cherry filled hamantaschen I made last year - the feeling was that the filling was too tart for the dough.  Just something to think about.

I didn't find this to be a problem.. maybe I used more sugar in it. I gave out samples at work the day I made them and they were well received (people wanted to place orders but I don't know if I'll have time to fill them). If this is a concern though - last year I used regular dried cherrie - not the sour ones. They were good too :smile:

Thanks for the recipe Michelle!

Some general comments and a question:

First, I think there's a bit of alchemy that goes on with hamantashen. If you are making smaller ones -- say starting from a 3" piece of dough -- then you have a much greater proportion of dough. In that case, I find that I generally like a sweeter, cookie dough. When I'm making them larger -- ones that take more than a bite or two to eat -- it's much more about the filling. In this case, I make a yeast dough that's not sweet and ends up very, very flaky. You had also better make sure the fillings are good.

Regarding using a chocolate ganache -- if you read back through this thread, you will see that I struggled with this for years. I could never get it to bake without the chocolate scorching and bubbling out. However, the kids still love the chocolate so now I use Nutella . . . yum. If anyone else has figured out another way to do chocolate, please share.

In addition to the traditional poppy, prune and various fruit flavors, I also do a caramel-pecan filling and a sweet cheese filling that like a cheese danish. Made with cream cheese, it's great on it's own or in combination with cherry.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

I use Claudia Roden's hamentaschen dough recipe. I like it because it is flaky. I do not like the hard cookie dough. They are a little more fragile, but really delicious.

I think the dough should not be sweet because the filling is usually sweet enough to compensate.

I use dried sour apricots for my lekvar. I prefer a tart apricot filling.

I have a double batch each of gingerbread, chocolate and lemon-scented hamantashen dough in the refrigerator now. A bowl each of apricot, bing cherry, prune and pear fillings - plus a bunch of jams if I run out of filling.

Ready to go for baking off tomorrow.

My best laid plans were foiled. I had Blovie buy all the ingredients for me and in the end, I couldn't make hamentaschen because of my wrist injury. I don't have the dexterity. It feels very strange to do be a day before the holiday with no hamentaschen in the house. Plus, we've been invited out for the se'udah so I'm free of that responsibility as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Pam and Michelle: your hamentashen look delightful, with their fruity fillings! You both should be proud of your culinary skills on this holiday .. you have made it even more festive by posting your comments and photos here on eGullet! Many, many thanks for sharing this with us ... on to Passover ... but not just yet! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The hamentaschen tasted great. Unfortunately, I couldn't find dried sour apricots, so the apricot was not as pronounced.

I put cinnamon and clove in the date paste and it added nicely to the flavour.

Pam - What fillings did you put in the chocolate-ginger dough?

hmm... did I type chocolate-ginger dough? :rolleyes: I did chocolate dough and ginger dough! Sorry. I will post the recipes in recipeGullet when I get a chance today - in case you want plain old chocolate or gingerbread :wink:

In the chocolate I did either bing cherry lekvar or strawberry jam (when I ran out of cherry) and the ginger got pear or apricot.

I'm off to back some more because I was short for my orders and people still want them today.

Then I'll start unpacking 7000 lbs. of Passover dry goods. Passover prep really DOES start at Purim.

• 10 months later...

First batch of hamantashen of the year. This is also the first time I've made a yeast dough. I've never had a yeast dough hamantashen - and they're very different from the type I'm familiar with - but I liked them! Filled with homemade poppy-seed filling - they'd be good with a sweet cheese filling or blueberry.

gallery_25849_641_24172.jpg

(I'll hold off on posting in the Passover topics for a couple of days .. don't want to scare any of you.)

First batch of hamantashen of the year.  This is also the first time I've made a yeast dough.  I've never had a yeast dough hamantashen - and they're very different from the type I'm familiar with - but I liked them!  Filled with homemade poppy-seed filling - they'd be good with a sweet cheese filling or blueberry.

gallery_25849_641_24172.jpg

(I'll hold off on posting in the Passover topics for a couple of days .. don't want to scare any of you.)

Good for you, Pam. All you had to do was ask. One sweet cheese hamantashen filling right here. This is great on its own or combined with a berry flavor -- cherry/cheese, blueberry/cheese, yum. And, yes, I also make a yeast dough. It's less sweet than a cookie dough which means it's more about the filling anyway. It's also lighter and more flaky.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

has anyone a recipe for chocolate dough hamentaschen?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

has anyone a recipe for chocolate dough hamentaschen?

see the entry a couple ones up from this and pm Pam R.

Or if I was nice, I could post it! (Which I meant to do last year! :blink: ) Clickety.

Or if I was nice, I could post it! (Which I meant to do last year!  :blink: ) Clickety.

Thanks for this, Pam, and you are very nice!

I honestly think that chocolate hamentashen sound marvelous but that the hysteria of not finding their old "tried and true" again (year after year..)would send my family into a PPP: "Premature Purim Panic" ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I just got a case of Halvah filling/spread (meant for baking!) delivered today.  Anybody else doing halvah hamantashen?  Or is it too much?

You can buy halvah filled hamentaschen here. I would suggest using your chocolate dough for this.

I just got a case of Halvah filling/spread (meant for baking!) delivered today.  Anybody else doing halvah hamantashen?  Or is it too much?

I've made them with gingerbread dough. They're very rich and intense.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs