• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Hour

Busboy

Any suggestions for drinks in the area roughly defined by 14th street, Mass Ave and the Hill? I don't get out like I used to, but have tried Matchbox and Ella's without becoming addicted, and a friend had already been to Zataneya. I'd like to get somewhere besides the old standbys (Jaleo, Atlantico) and am not sure If I've pverlooked anything in the neighborhood. Good food -- at least on a small plate level -- is important.

Thanks.

PS, any "must goes" out of downtown will be considered, as well.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

not-schmancy-but-damn-good: corduroy. 5 to 7 pm, $3 pints of guiness, and $4 appetizer specials.

schmancy-funky-but-pricey-and-never-got-to-the-food: bar rouge, 16th just north of Mass.

edited to say: not that corduroy's content isn't schmancy--it's just that the atmosphere makes me think a bit too strongly of...well, a hotel.

Edited by babka (log)

Chef Geoff's has nice happy hour specials (13th and E) and pretty good food.

Rosa Mexicano is the new place across from MCI Center - i haven't been yet, but there's a whole thread on it on the board.....

Ditto on the beer at RFD - but i'm not so impressed w/ the food, if you keep it simple there, you're more likely to be satisfied.

If you like tapas, you may also want to try La Tasca on 7th St.

I haven't been to La Tasca yet.....but I've heard some reports that aren't very encouraging. Maybe some here have had a good experience and could elaborate. However, I've heard a number of people complain about the service and food quality. Some have indicated that if you want Tapas in the District, it's better to go a couple of blocks away to Jaleo.