• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turley and Bryant Slug it Out

Craig Camp

I couldn't really get a sense of what the issues are from that article. I know I'm dense, but can anyone explain what happened?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Here are some of the things you need to know to understand all this nonsense:

In order to continue to charge a million dollars a three pack your wine must meet the follwoing criterea:

high scores from Parker

a general unavailability and little retail presence

Helen T knows how to make wines that please the Parker people, and therefore earn very high scores. It is just that overwrought california style, born of people who have lots of money and want that Napa lifestyle acclaim. She and Bryant had a feud and she walked out at a critical point, before the wine was made. Problem.

The thing is I actually admire Helen and like her wines. But I like them at midnight, when I am allready drunk, there is no food around and I really want to "feel it". They are kinda like being clubbed over the head.

I had a 1994 Bryant Family cab (no idea what price we can look it up) recently and it was a nice bottle of wine. I also just bought for the shop a Chateau de Galupet Cotes Du Provence Cru Classe ($12.00). That was a nice bottle of wine too. Both to have for free are great. But to pay? Who amongst us wouldn't choose that little rugged guy from CDP????

over it