• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Raccolta Newsletter 2/20/04

Craig Camp

Great report Craig. These wines have been fantastic in all recent vintages. especially Crognolo. It's really a bargain, for the quality. However.... the boys and girls at Kobrand have been pushing up the price of Oreno. I guess they can read reviews too, and sadly it will approach the "C-note" a bottle price tag

Perhaps as people become more aware of international pricing at places like eGullet it will become more difficult for large importers like Kobrand and Paterno to place 40 or 50% margins on wines.

Well we can dream anyway. :rolleyes:

My guess is they raised prices because Oreno made it into the Wine Spectator 100.

And........... That is one of the major problems in the Wine Biz today.

Many years ago, I was selling Kistler Dutton Ranch for $16.99 a bottle. We liked it, and we were selling a ton. Our distributor was more than happy to keep the juice flowing. Then............ Spectatorized, Parkerized NO MAS VINO.

Fast forward to 2004. We don't even see a bottle. Kistler illegally ships to our customers......... and they (some of them) don't want it, and want to sell it to us!

So now we should buy at Retail, and resell ( and people will buy it) at a higher price.

We have now entered the world of the 4-tier system