• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Tacoma?

We're taking a short trip back up to the Pacific Northwest and will be visiting some friends in Tacoma. Can anyone reccomend a good place for lunch?

They live near the University of Pugest Sound and I imagine we won't have a ton of time to drive someplace far away.

Here's a map of the immediate area will be in if that's helpful.

A Map

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by Random Alias (log)

Haven't been here yet, but there is a bit of a buzz going on about this place, and my chef usually only makes mention of places that he finds interesting.

I understand reservations are de rigeur for dinner, don't know about lunch.:

Brother John's

Probably about a 20 minute trip from UPS at the noon hour.

If you go, please let us know how it was.

Edited by Steve Ramsey (log)

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

We're taking a short trip back up to the Pacific Northwest and will be visiting some friends in Tacoma. Can anyone reccomend a good place for lunch?

They live near the University of Pugest Sound and I imagine we won't have a ton of time to drive someplace far away.

Here's a map of the immediate area will be in if that's helpful.

A Map

Thanks for any suggestions.

There are two of the best Restaurants of their type in the area located across the street from each other.

"From The Bayou" serves terrific Louisiana Food comparable or better then New Orleans plus I'm sure it's open for lunch.

"Marzano's" serves very good Italian food, I've only been their for dinner, but if they serve lunch you won't be disappointed.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I love From the Bayou... in fact MsRamsey, LEdlund and our significant spouses are planning a trip there (if only our schedules would magically meld).

Here's a link to the lunch menu

From the Bayou is located in Parkland (just outside Tacoma proper) near Pacific Lutheran University.

My favorite dish, and what I think is their specialty, is the gumbo. It's rich and thick and is built upon a sinfully dark and rich roux, just like a good gumbo should be. I like the chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, and this is consistently the best of the gumbos they offer. The seafood gumbo has been good on some visits, and only just fine on other visits. One thing to note is that sometimes (not always) the kitchen staff puts entirely too much rice in the gumbo. So ask for it on the side or for a light dose.

I think the stuffed mushrooms are mediocre, so you can consider skipping those, but everything else on the salad/soup/app menu that I've tried has been great. The little jalapeno corn muffins they serve with your meal are delightful -- and addicting.

My favorite entree (might not be on the lunch menu) is the halibut with the red pepper and crawfish sauce. My husband has tried several of their catfish dishes and has loved them all. We have yet to try their sandwiches, but they look pretty appealing.

In true Southern style, they always have alligator, frog and crawdad on the menu.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm passing them on to our friends in Tacoma. From The Bayou sounds interesting, although the idea of traveling from NC to WA to get some cajun food is kind of strange. Although truth be told, there's not a lot of Cajun food here.

Edited by Random Alias (log)

I have lived in and around Tacoma for the last 16 years and I fear that I may be the first eGullet member around these parts. The restaurant scene here has changed for the better with in the last year. I am not sure why... To respond to the question regarding places to eat near UPS (University of Puget Sound), I have a few suggestions. If you can find 6th Avenue which crosses Union Avenue where UPS is located, there are a number of great restaurants along that 6th Avenue corridor. 6th Avenue goes East/West from the Tacoma Narrows to down town Tacoma. Sushi Tama is the best Japanese restaurant in town. They make their own tofu and their udon and yaki-soba, not to mention sushi, is as good as you can get in Tokyo. Primo Grill on Pine (just off 6th Avenue) around the corner from Starbucks is NW/Northern Italian also very nice. Not to far from there is a Wine bar/bistro called Il Fiasco which I have not yet tried but looks promising. Gateway to India, if you like Northern (Punjabi) food has a pretty good luncheon buffet and it is very reasonable. This place does not advertise and is always busy on weekend evenings. There are also 2 new Thai restaurants on 6th Avenue, Silk Thai and Wild Orchid. They are both doing very well right now. Having just returned from a 5 day intensive cooking course in Chaing Mai, there are somethings they do well and many things they could be doing better. The Proctor shopping district is a few minutes from UPS. There is a very friendly but good Italian restaurant called Pomodoro. All of these restaurants are about 5 minutes or less from UPS. I could probably come up with more but it is late at night. Best of luck... :rolleyes:

White Lotus, you are right, there are very few of us from Pierce County here. I'm so glad you posted because that means we get to ramble on about great eats in the South Sound region and hopefully other Pierce County lurkers will start posting. I'll ramble on about a few of my favorites and let's see if we can make people's eyes glaze over!

I live in East Pierce, but am a frequent Tacoma diner. I agree with your post about the 6th Avenue eating district (and as a whole, the district is fantastic for all kinds of shopping and nightclubbing, Jazzbones is too cool for words).

In that neighborhood, I really like Engine House No. 9 (great atmo, fine pub fare) and Il Fiasco is a wonderful dining experience. They do seafood particularly well. The owner is an interesting guy (do a search on the Trib web site about his recent court battle with a jerky waiter to get a good laugh).

Gateway to India is great. They never seem to advertise and you don't hear much about them, yet they're packed, even on weeknights. I just recently tried them and I think they're better than many Seattle area Indian joints (haven't tried the buffet, only dinner).

Have you ever been to Wendy's II Vietnamese on Tacoma Mall Boulevard (over by Chuck E. Cheese)? If not, I recommend it for the pho you posted about in the other thread, but I think their real specialty is the noodle dishes and bubble tea AND wonderful bahn xeo (stuffed with prawns!). I really really like their hot pots. The broth they use is just killer, perfectly balanced spiciness.

You might already know about this place, but near Wendy's II is the East West Cafe, which does a hodgepodge of SE Asian cuisine pretty well, although some dishes are really lacking in flavor (like the 'Viet Curry,' a dish that really underwhelmed me). I like the elegance of the restaurant, but I think other places in Tacoma do better SE Asian food (I haven't tried Wild Orchid yet).

Sometimes I think I'd rather just head up the S. 38th Street Hill instead of going to pretty little restaurants! I love the 'Little Saigon' neighborhood on S. 38th Street. Have you tried the La Vie deli? Not always, but they sometimes have banh mi style sandwiches (the chef at Wendy's turned me on to them). They're located at 773 S. 38th St.

I think it is Nhu Thuy (?) that is on the corner of Sixth-ish and S. 38th Street that always has the steamed up windows? I've had some great soup there. And I've tried the barbecue place near there and it is decent, but I think they need to use better cuts of meat and let it cook longer to render out a little more fat (just my dumb opinion). I would LOVE to organize an eGullet outing to this neighborhood on some random Saturday, there's a lot of good shopping and eating within a few blocks.

Ok, I'm tired from this post already. Anyone else, please feel free to pipe in on your Tacoma/Pierce County finds.

By the way, here are threads on other Tacoma/Pierce County restaurants:

Breakfast spots in Tacoma area

Gig Harbor restaurants

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

In that neighborhood, I really like Engine House No. 9 (great atmo, fine pub fare)

Wow! The E9 is still around! I used to hang out there (well, sometimes) when I was going to UPS (87-89). There was a little sandwich place down on Ruston Way (I think...), I've been racking my brain trying to remember it...the "Sprout" or something.

We used to go to a little Thai place that was in a converted church, they'd pull out folding tables and chairs when they sat you. The food was amazing; that place got me hooked on Thai food. It was either on 17th or 38th, I don't remember anymore.

Sorry, I can't help with lunch suggestions, but you stirred some memories with the E9.

Thanks for the tips and musings uberleet!! I totally need to find that Thai joint (if it's still around).

The sandwhich shop you were thinking of.. could it be the Antique Sandwhich Company? It's actually in Ruston, not along the waterfront. Hmmm, maybe you're talking about something more down around Katy Downs/RAM, etc, on the waterfront?

In search of Thai joint with folding tables now...

-- Frank Bruni

Thanks for the tips and musings uberleet!! I totally need to find that Thai joint (if it's still around).

The sandwhich shop you were thinking of.. could it be the Antique Sandwhich Company? It's actually in Ruston, not along the waterfront. Hmmm, maybe you're talking about something more down around Katy Downs/RAM, etc, on the waterfront?

In search of Thai joint with folding tables now...

Yes!! Antique Sandwich Company is the name of the place. I don't know why I thought it was -on- Ruston Way.

Good luck finding that Thai place! The last time I ate there would've been 1989. If you find it, let me know!

Hey girl chow, nice to know that one is not alone here in Pierce County. Thanks for your response on "best Pho" thread as well. There are pho places popping up all over the place here. Even in my neighberhood of University place there is a Vietnamese restuarant. It will take me a while to try all the new places. Hopefully, someday we can meet at some food eGullet dinner type event either here or in Seattle.

In response to Uberleet's query re: "that Thai place" circa 1989 - there were only about 2 Thai restaurants then that I frequented both of them. One was located in the SE Asian part of 38th street in a storefront accross the street from Southeast Asia Market (now currently moved 2 - 3 city blocks to the East to a larger location). This storefront had previously been a Vietnamese restaurant and was only a Thai restaurant for a year or two before converting back to a Vietnamese restaurant with constance change of ownership. Anyway, when this location was a Thai restaurant (whose name I cannot recall), it was the best Thai foodat that time in town.

The only other possible "Thai joint" at that time was/and still is, Thai Garden on 11th street, just off Martin Luther King Street (otherwise known as "M" Street then) in the Hilltop district. Thai Garden is the oldest Thai Restaurant in Pierce County and is located in what could be politely described as dumpy building. The people are friendly but I have had both good and bad meals there. What has consistently been good is the pad seuw (stir fried wide rice noodle thing) and coconut ice cream with salty cashews. I usually end up going there for lunch when I have been called for jury duty. It is a few minutes walk uphill from the county courthouseto the West. Because this place is in a poor neighborhood and I imagine the rent low, anyone can affort to eat here. Most folks here in Tacoma do not know this place.

The current local buzz is re: Thai restaurants here is Thai Silk and Wild Orchid. Its okay but not my favorites. About a week ago, my family and I tried Galanga in downtown Tacoma on Broadway about halfway between the Pantages and the Sheraton hotel. We had the best green papaya salad (off menu) outside of Thailand. Their Miang Kam appetizer was also fabulous. I guess that I can go on and on about Thai food... There are other Thai restaurants in Pierce County that we can address in a separate thread sometime.

To tell the truth, Thai Go at the Tacoma mall food court is not too bad for the money. My 16 year old has a frequent eater punch card and I usually end up eating her leftovers that come in a styro box.

:rolleyes: On that note, I may end up going to lunch at Thai Garden sometime next week either Tuesday or Wednesday. Let me know if anyone wants to join me, and we can set a time.

I'm going to be in Tacoma either for a latish lunch or early dinner on Saturday.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the "Ukrainian Restaurant" that opened in the Shopping Center across from TCC ?

There was a very nice write up in the Tacoma Newspaper recently by "Ripp" with some appetizing photos of the food. Place seems to be family owned and operated. I know where it's located but don't remember the name not sure if I'll be able to get there as I'm going to watch my Granddaughter Sing Solo at the 85th Anniversary of the "Tacoma Little Theater" so may wind up at her favorite "Thai Peanut Sauce" Restaurant near the Tacoma Mall.

Irwin :rolleyes:

Hey Irwin, I will be ushering at the TLT event this evening. I will be the only the middle aged Asian woman ushering so say hello... Regarding the Russian place, I do not recall its name either, Sorry. It is conjoined next to a hair salon owned by the same people. I had a very nice bowl of borsht there last fall. The woman who served my lunch had cut my hair about a year before. The restaurant is in the same complex as this Chinese seafood buffet place. Good luck finding the place.

Hey Irwin, I will be ushering at the TLT event this evening. I will be the only the middle aged Asian woman ushering so say hello... Regarding the Russian place, I do not recall its name either, Sorry. It is conjoined next to a hair salon owned by the same people. I had a very nice bowl of borsht there last fall. The woman who served my lunch had cut my hair about a year before. The restaurant is in the same complex as this Chinese seafood buffet place. Good luck finding the place.

White Lotus:

What a nice surprise and welcome to eGullet.

One thing I'm sure about tonight is that I won't be the only beaming Grandpa attending the celebration performance.

But I'll be the one with a Black Jacket, Pants, Shirt and Cap trying to sit as close to the stage as he can get.

Whatever the Ukrainian Restaurant is named I'm sure we both agree that it's not very one of the easier to remember names. Ripp mentioned in the review about the Beauty Salon. Wonder if thats a trend with Ukrainian business. In Edmond's theres a Russian Deli next door to a Beauty Salon owned by the same family.

I know where the Restaurants located. I miss the Mexican Restaurant that was located in the same center for years that was pretty good and kid friendly. Only Chinese Buffet thats been okay was the one served in the Seattle ID at the Ocean City. Never found acceptable Chinese food Tacoma area. Japanese, Thai, Vietnam and Korean are all good in Tacoma/Lakewood. Some of the best Korean Food in America is served in Lakewood in my opinion .

Irwin :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
"From The Bayou" serves terrific Louisiana Food comparable or better then New Orleans plus I'm sure it's open for lunch.

I had dinner at From the Bayou last night (based on the recommedation of this thread). It's absolutely fantastic. I had the best seafood gumbo I have ever eaten, and a mighty fine crawfish etoufee. Even the jalapeno corn muffins were delicious.

This restaurant alone is worth a trip to Tacoma for.

Thank you.

Bruce

I just love FTB, which has become my favorite all-purpose restaurant -- it's the kind of place you can go to for any occasion-- birthday, anniversary, paycheck celebration, just to grab a good brew and some gumbo.

As I posted earlier in this thread back in March, their gumbo is really sinful.

My favorite dish remains the halibut with the red pepper sauce. Yum.

One of the original owners of FTB is Kevin Roy, owner/founder of the great oil company, Sotto Voce

-- Frank Bruni