• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name this Vietnamese Restaurant

Rachel Perlow

Katie, What's Pho Dinner is KILLER good!!! :wub: So far, my vote goes to that one! I'm certain I'd laugh out loud if I drove past it.

I will remind you all of my post asking you all to help me Phind Pho. With that in mind, they could call it Phabulous Pho, Phantastic Pho, Phundamental Pho, Phill Up on Pho, The Phuture of Pho...

And for the Jewish Vietnamese clientele, they could always call it Phocachta (sp?)!!

Oh, help. Make it stop!!! :wacko:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Phogeddaboudit?

This IS New Jersey, after all...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I have to be honest, Rachel...Although I think it's damn funny, I suspect they would offend people with a name like that, even if Kingu really is where she's from. If that's the case, she should consider Kingu Pho.

But that's not punny. There are some great suggestions in this thread--hopefully she'll go with something that's playful and that will appeal to people, even if they don't know for sure what pho is!

So I take it you guys wouldn't be offended by the double entendre including fuck then?

for a restaurant, i think it's kind of stupid and played out at this point. and that's coming from someone who thinks farts are funny.

As long as you mentioned it... Joe suggested Pho Art. I vetoed that one!

OK guys, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm printing this out and faxing it over to them now. But, if you get an inspiration, pheel pfree to continue posting.

PhoKT?

Oh, I like that one.

Will let everyone know what they've decided upon when they, um, decide.

Reactions from KT:

"What the Pho?" is already in use by a restaurant in Wisconson.

She wants something short that can be put on a T-shirt for the servers.

PhoKT - she doesn't want her name in it, although it is short and I told her to discuss with the others (son, waiter/manager)

She's leaning towards Mo'Pho. It's simple, and she can make the o in the Mo into a bowl of soup with the apostrophe being steam rising from the bowl. She can do that with PhoKT too.

Well, if she wants to educate people, Mo Pho won't help...but I don't know the attitude of the place or the owners. Just my $.02, but I think she should remember that many people aren't familiar with Vietnamese food or pronunciation.

Bottom line--I'll be happy to have another place phor pho! :laugh:

I still think she's running the fine line of offending people if she uses PhoKT, or if the conservatives are hip to it (oxymoron??), even Mo' Pho. There's no doubt that some "Church Lady" type is going to make a stink about it. Could it beeeee....SATAN!!! teu87.gif

Perhaps KTPho along the lines of Ruth's Chris Steak House?

I still stick with my original suggestion of What's Pho Dinner. But only if they aren't open for lunch too. If they're open for lunch as well I'd have to go with What the Pho is Your Next Meal Gonna Be? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol