• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name this Vietnamese Restaurant

Rachel Perlow

A very successful Vietnamese restaurant (rated Very Good by the NYT) near us is planning on opening an offshoot in a neighboring town. It will be an even more casual joint, just serving Pho (the famous Vietnamese soup), summer rolls, some other apps and salads, coffee & dessert.

Anyway, they are trying to think of a catchy name for the place and have thought of several with a play on words based on "Pho." As you may or may not know Pho is pronounced fuh with a short u sound, not foe with a long o. So here are some suggestions:

• Pho-natic(s) (fanatic/fanatics)
    Pho King (fucking, but it will look like a more typical Chinese take-out joint kind of name), the chef's brother suggested "Pho King Good" but I think that's too long.
    Mo'Pho (More Pho or something about someone's mother)
    Pho-Q or Pho-Que (Fuck You) then if she opens a second one, it could be Pho-Q 2

So, what is your opinion about the play on words? Is using the homonym for fuck too coarse? We were all thinking of it similarly to the "Cluck U" chain of chicken wing stores, but didn't know if it was just too blatant. If so, Phonatics would be the back up, unless someone can think of another pun that would work -- in other words, feel free to give us more suggestions!

I seem to remember someone posting a link a few weeks ago with a picture of a Vietnamese restaurant in Miami called Pho Shizzle which I thought was funny (esp. if it was an accident).

Sorry, not really answering your question...

I don't know enough Vietnamese words to pair up with "Pho" and I'd be too scared to start for fear of naming the place something totally gross about fish sauce and girls and fingers while trying to be "punny." I'll leave that up to Tony Bourdain. Tony? Any ideas, man? :laugh:

Edited by Pickles (log)

Additional suggestions are welcome. I like that one, but isn't that whole Snoop Dog pig latin over with? I thought that once Fran Dresher used it in an Old Navy commercial it became passé?

Oh God yes, even Snoop had said that it's played out. I got the impression that the restaurant name was an accident though. If deliberate, not so funny.

I like Mo'Pho--I think it could catch on.

Crazy Mo'Pho. Even better!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nguyen's dinner?

how would that be pronounced?

Pronounced like "win".

edited: Or kind of like "when" with more of a "ih" sound

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We actually have a Pho Ton just down the road from me. Personally, I like Pho King. It's a nice double entrendre. It's also nice because so many people say pho with a very long "o" so it's funnier to people in the know.