• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Cephalopunk

Ice Cream Machines

6 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I wrote a post on the different varieties of ice cream machines (and related tools and techniques) here.

I covet the Lello machines. Unfortunately the small one has a bit less capacity than I'd like, and the big one is ... big. And not cheap.

I use the small one and the turnaround time is zero.  I just leave the compressor on, pull out the finished batch and pop in the second batch (the advantage of having an extra can).  I prepare the mix usually the evening before, have it in a large plastic pitcher chilled in the fridge - which cuts down on freezer time.  I usually churn for 25 minutes then straight into the freezer while I start the next batch.

I have done 4 batches in two hours, no problem.

• Like 2

IEATRIO   
On December 2, 2016 at 0:09 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Maybe it's different with the Lello but I find if I churn over fifteen minutes I have quality problems.

Its not unique to the Lello.  There is a direct and declining relationship between batch time and ice cream quality due to ice crystal formation -- any batch time over 15 minutes will be less than perfect, and proceed to become worse and worse the longer the batch takes to freeze.

Fortunately for you, I think that you can greatly improve your batch time with the Lello, by following two rules;

1) Not processing a full 1 liter batch -- this machine is not powerful enough to make a full liter of ice cream at a time, but it can successfully process a sub-15 minute batch it if you split your recipe and process your mixture serially a half-liter at a time; and

2) keeping your bucket in the freezer, getting your mixture down as close to freezing as possible by keeping it in the freezer for an hour or so before processing (I keep it in a mason jar so I can shake it up and make sure no crystals begin to form), and letting the machine run for at least 30 minutes or more before starting a batch --  your machine will squander its limited power if it needs to cool these elements any more than absolutely necessary, and you can help it along by keeping things as cold as possible and limit the work it needs to do.

I find that I can get a sub-15 minute batch time with my Lello Gelato by following the above.  I have had my Lello for over a decade, and although I would love something better some day, it can work if you are willing to make up for its limited power.

• Like 2

Ieatrio, do you find that if you make two batches in the Lello back-to-back the freezing time suffers?

Also, how does it do with 3/4 liter (of mix)? It's unclear to me if the company rates the capacity before or after overrun. My recipes are about 0.8L of mix, and at least in my current machine, freeze to make about 1L. If the machine could handle that in one batch that would be ideal; if it could handle it in two 15-minute batches that would be ok.

IEATRIO   
11 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Ieatrio, do you find that if you make two batches in the Lello back-to-back the freezing time suffers?

Also, how does it do with 3/4 liter (of mix)? It's unclear to me if the company rates the capacity before or after overrun. My recipes are about 0.8L of mix, and at least in my current machine, freeze to make about 1L. If the machine could handle that in one batch that would be ideal; if it could handle it in two 15-minute batches that would be ok.

I don't think that batch time suffers too terribly -- on the second batch the container will need to get down to temp again, but that's the only added time.  I would just split any recipe up to a liter 50/50.  There isn't a heck of a lot of overrun in this machine, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, but I think they rate it for a liter pre-processing.  I don't think you'll have a problem processing .5L, so it shouldn't be an issue either way.  But don't think you are going to run an ice cream shop with the Lello -- it works (just) but its a pain in the ass to make it work properly, and a slower process than it should be.