• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream Machines

Cephalopunk

I just borrowed a Krups freezer bowl and did a quick trial run with some juice.

Alas, it didn't come with instructions. I looked simple enough, though, so I decided to give it a go just with apple juice - no labor lost, eh? It froze the juice very quickly and the texture seems ok and it could be used without a stint in the freezer even though it is a bit loose.

But the bowl and paddle don't seem to seat well. The paddle didn't seem to scrape everything off the walls unless I held it in place amd a very icy film was left on the floor and walls when I scraped out the apple ice (which actually has a decent texture). Was I doing something wrong? Or is it just the nature of the beast? I assume that my result might have been different if I'd actually made an ice cream base with a lot of butterfat, but my first concern was to figure out how the machine works absent mfgr instructions.

I may I'll give it a try with waternelon tomorrow.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I was in a Williams Sonoma today and saw this CuisineArt ice cream machine with a built in freezer compressor for 249 bucks.Has anyone used it/bought it?

http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm...1%7Crshop%2Fhme

What do you think?

The KA Pro Line looks great, it's built like a Taylor but this CuisineArt Supreme is very...affordable.

Talk to me!

Thanks!!!

I have had the Cuisinart supreme for almost a year now and I really like it. Very nice if you are interested in making icecream in 1 Qt. batches. The only downside is that it is rather noisy.

When I get my own machine, I may go for one of these. I think I read upthread that some machines don't work well with smaller amounts. How does this one do?

Alas, it didn't come with instructions. I looked simple enough, though,  so I decided to give it a go just with apple juice - no labor lost, eh?  It froze the juice very quickly and the texture seems ok and it could be used without a stint in the freezer even though it is a bit loose.

But the bowl and paddle don't seem to seat well. The paddle didn't seem to scrape everything off the walls unless I held it in place amd a very icy film was left on the floor and walls when I scraped out the apple ice (which actually has a decent texture). Was I doing something wrong? Or is it just the nature of the beast? I assume that my result might have been different if I'd actually made an ice cream base with a lot of butterfat, but my first concern was to figure out how the machine works absent mfgr instructions.

I have a Krups machine and it does that as well. And with ice cream, it seems that the fat gets pulled out of its emulsified state and sticks the walls of the bowl.

Has anybody else seen the fat separation problem in other machines where you need to pre-freeze the bowl? I'm wondering if it's because the bowl surface is so cold it pulls the fat since fat solidifies more quickly at 0 degrees F.

A little off the beaten path, but my father makes killer ice cream with one of these:http://www.vitamix.com/

I use the Cuisinart and I've been very happy with it. I had a Krups, but the seal broke and the fluid inside started leaking out. I'm very interesting in that electric compressor machine that a number of people have pointed out in this thread. Perhaps the time has finally come for an affordable home version - I'd like to see (and taste) some test results though before I shell out for one. Perhaps they demo it at the Williams Sonoma?

Alas, it didn't come with instructions. I looked simple enough, though,  so I decided to give it a go just with apple juice - no labor lost, eh?   It froze the juice very quickly and the texture seems ok and it could be used without a stint in the freezer even though it is a bit loose.

I have a Krups machine and it does that as well. And with ice cream, it seems that the fat gets pulled out of its emulsified state and sticks the walls of the bowl.

Has anybody else seen the fat separation problem in other machines where you need to pre-freeze the bowl? I'm wondering if it's because the bowl surface is so cold it pulls the fat since fat solidifies more quickly at 0 degrees F.

It was a wonderful day, not hot and humid as most of the summer has been, so I thought I'd go for it and made a basic vanilla ice cream with creme anglaise base. I found I had to hold the machine steady so that the ice cream was scraped off the side. That didn't take care of the bottom, so I used a silicone spatula to scrape the bottom, which worked well enough that I wound up with a very acceptable vanilla ice cream.

I WOULD NOT buy the Krups because of all this fuss. I wonder if the Cuisinart works better than this.

i haven't seen the one i use on here so i thought i would put in my .02. i have a $20 hamilton beach model that i got from big lots and i use it all the time. i, of course, have never used a fancy machine so i can't compare but it really does make good ice cream. i was hesitant to spend a lot because i didn't know how much i would use it and thought my husband might not understand if i spent $50 on a machine.(we are a one income family-with small kids)

when mine breaks though i think i might go with the cuisinart, its probably more durable.

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I killed my Krupps LeGlacier last month. Lets face it: Krupps is GARBAGE.

-8 hour pre-freeze time between each 1.5 pint batch

-paddle that doesn't even contact the walls or floor of the canister

-imposible to clean without icing over

-very hard to seal lid that is extremely easy to snap or crack

-shoddy freezing canister that is prone to leaking or bursting

If you are dead-set on the under $100 range, I would steer the hell clear of Krupps.

Anyways, I was hoping to gather some last minute advice before I go ahead and plunk down serious dough.

I've almost decided on the KitchenAid Pro ($1300), but one thing bothers me. The description cites the freeze time at "under 30 minutes", which seems ridiculous for a compressor of that size. Do you figure they are saying 30 minutes for the benefit of knuckleheads who plan on pouring hot base into the machine, or could it really be that slow to freeze a chilled base?

I've also done alot of research on the Musso Lussino($600), but I get the distinct impression that the compressor is under-powered and it is indeed very slow to freeze. Plus, I'm always weary of top-loaders knack for freezing a solid centimeter of base on the bottom surface.

The Cuisinart Supreme ($300) looks decent enough, but I haven't been able to gather many accounts of first-hand experience.

If I'm commting to the $1000+ range, are there other machines I should be looking at before the KA?

Thanks for any help, in advance.

Edited by Sethro (log)

call up those KAPro people, tell them you're a serious pastry chef, and pose that same question to them.

Is it a safety measure for them, someone using it in a hot as hell place, pouring hot base in, etc.?

Good luck, sethro!

2317/5000

I've also done alot of research on the Musso Lussino($600), but I get the distinct impression that the compressor is under-powered and it is indeed very slow to freeze. Plus, I'm always weary of top-loaders knack for freezing a solid centimeter of base on the bottom surface.

I'm still using my Musso at work (or should I say my assistant is...). I am pretty impressed with it overall, I must say. I have never had a problem with the base having a frozen layer on the bottom. The dasher does a good job scraping the sides and bottom. If anything, I wish the blade went HIGHER, as the ice cream does pile up while its churning, because the top is convex and can accomodate it. But then again, I have a tendency to fill it as much as possible, because I seem to run it all day long, and am trying to get the most done as possible. :wacko:

As for freezing time, I only spin pre-chilled bases -- ones that I have made the day before to let the flavors develop more. My sorbets are spun as soon as they are made, but they are pretty darn cold because my syrup is cold, and I either use cold fruit, or barely thawed purees. Stuff freezes in about 30 minutes, but sometimes longer, as the kitchen is hot, or I have overfilled.

the only drawbacks I see are:

the small size (problematic for me)

not fast enough (for me) to freeze

no extraction process (I like to push a button and have the stuff extruded out a spout -- i don't have time to scoop out and handpack the ice cream)

I unfortunately, am used to a much bigger and more powerful machine, so that's why I complain. But really -- overall -- I think the Musso is impressive.

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

call up those KAPro people, tell them you're a serious pastry chef, and pose that same question to them.

Is it a safety measure for them, someone using it in a hot as hell place, pouring hot base in, etc.?

Good luck, sethro!

I did take your advice and call the customer service line. Its actually well-set up; I was directed to representatives that dealt with the pro-line frozen dessert maker specifically. Unfortunately, they were still unable to give me a satisfactory answer on run-times. What they did tell me is that the first batch does take over 20minutes, and subsequent batches take 10-15. They didn't seem too sure about that though. I wish I could get some advice from someone who actually uses one...

I'm still using my Musso at work (or should I say my assistant is...).  I am pretty impressed with it overall, I must say.  I have never had a problem with the base having a frozen layer on the bottom.  The dasher does a good job scraping the sides and bottom.  If anything, I wish the blade went HIGHER, as the ice cream does pile up while its churning, because the top is convex and can accomodate it.  But then again, I have a tendency to fill it as much as possible, because I seem to run it all day long, and am trying to get the most done as possible.  :wacko:

As for freezing time, I only spin pre-chilled bases -- ones that I have made the day before to let the flavors develop more.  My sorbets are spun as soon as they are made, but they are pretty darn cold because my syrup is cold, and I either use cold fruit, or barely thawed purees.  Stuff freezes in about 30 minutes, but sometimes longer, as the kitchen is hot, or I have overfilled.

the only drawbacks I see are:

the small size (problematic for me)

not fast enough (for me) to freeze

no extraction process (I like to push a button and have the stuff extruded out a spout -- i don't have time to scoop out and handpack the ice cream)

I unfortunately, am used to a much bigger and more powerful machine, so that's why I complain.  But really -- overall -- I think the Musso is impressive.

Speed is my concern, not because of time constraint but because of crystalization and over-churning. I want my ice creams spun in 8 minutes or less, and sorbets in 10. So it sounds like the Musso is not the machine for me.

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to talk to someone about how the KAPro works.

Two things come to mind...

Google for a customer site or something like that ( Yahoo?, places like that)

Or call the KA people back and see if they can put you in touch with any buyers, especially restaurant people, or if they know of any user groups.

If there's resistance, you can always tell them you're personally putting your cash on the line ( the impression I have?) so it's doubly important.

One thing I have to mention about how quickly your mix freezes.

When I used a Taylor the 1st batch always took longer then subsequent batches.

Maybe not 20 minutes but up to 12 for sure.

After that it was more like 8 to 10 except for chocolate, which always seemed to freeze faster, because of the fat I guess.

Over churning is going to be a case of trail and error, no matter what.

When I used a ColdElitte, it seemed to throw all of my "timings" off of mark.

It was very easy to go from "not quite ready" to "remelt and chill".

RE: Crystalization: Why would that be a problem?

You could always stabilize or if you get your baume or BRIX right you're going to be there, no problems.

My two cents...

2317/5000

To RedHermes who asked about the KitchenAide Attachment, I have tried it and rate is as okay but the recipes that come with the machine do not really fit the bowl...that is they make too much ice cream and overflow the bowl. Not really that serious a problem because you can eat the excess while the rest is freezing. But I would use recipes that call for less finished product.

Also I got it when it first came out and used a discount and free shipping coupon. :blink:

Well, I'm a bit peeved. My little Krups has started leaking stuff out of its seams. It's only two years old. So I guess I have to get a new machine. I think I may have to spring for a compressor machine this time. I think the leading contender right now is the Lello 4070, or maybe the Cuisinart. I would like to have the Musso, but I can't afford it.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

The Lello Gelato 4070 has worked well for my home use so far. It's done a good job with everthing I've thrown at it, from rich custard based ice cream to sorbets.

Complaints:

The paddle and other parts are plastic and seem somewhat flimsy.

The bowl lid is attached to the motor arm with two screws. To clean the lid the screws must be removed with a screw driver.

The "ingredient chute" in the bowl lid is so small it is nearly useless for anything other than liquids.

Not really a complaint; but, it is pretty big and heavy. About 1.5 to 2 times the size of my electric rice cooker. Unless you have a lot of counter space and make ice cream frequently, it's probably not something you're going to leave sitting on the counter.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm thinking of buying an ice cream machine but I'm unwilling to stump up the nescessary wonga for one with a built in freezer unit.

Has anyone got any experiences of using the type where you freeze the bowl?

Are they satisfactory or destined to clutter up my cupboard?

:biggrin:

If you poke around there are several previous discussions, with details on which models are best etc. but basically Yes, they're useful, we had one for about 5 years before we upgraded to the freezer unit model & we knew we could justify the fancier model based on how often we used the old one.

The main caveat, in my opinion, is that you have to make small batches of icecream, because the freezer unit can only do one batch & then needs to go re-freeze overnight before it can be used again (plus you MUST chill your mix before attempting to freeze it.)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm thinking of buying an ice cream machine but I'm unwilling to stump up the nescessary wonga for one with a built in freezer unit.

Has anyone got any experiences of using the type where you freeze the bowl?

Are they satisfactory or destined to clutter up my cupboard?

:biggrin:

Yes, I have a Donvier. I like it just fine for the price (it was a gift :raz: ); however, you do have to plan ahead if you're going to make ice cream or sorbet because the cylinder needs to be in the freezer for a minimum of 12 hours. Otherwise, you will have to keep it in your freezer at all times if you intend to make "last minute" frozen goodies.

Also, mine only makes about a quart so if I have more than that to make, it gets difficult to keep the thing cold enough to freeze two batches.

Nonetheless, I make some pretty good stuff using it. It's all in the ingredients in any event.

It would be helpful to have two or more bowls, and freezer space to keep at least two of them frozen ... of course, that depends on quantities and frequency of ice cream batches. And you will need to remove the soft-serve consistency ice cream from the bowl and pack it into another container for ripening and hard setting.

Their use takes some planning, but they do work well. And they are a lot cheaper than the Italian gelatteras ...

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

As others have said, keep the bowl in the freezer if you do things on impulse.

I keep mine in the freezer most of the time but took it out this week to have more room for Thanksgiving leftovers, etc.

It makes lovely small amounts of ice cream and no watery mess.