• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Fat Tuesday!

Basilgirl

We are having a simple American pancake and sausage supper.  We are picking it up at church where they are basically doing a drive-thru.  Normally it is a fund raiser for/by the youth group and a chance for the entire church (8am and 10am attendees) to get together and visit.  That won't happen this year, of course, but I'm glad that we are keeping things up anyway.  

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Do you order the muffuletta or make? Crawfish sounds good! I have nt had a Fastnacht doughniut in forevr - may have to purchase - not gonna fry dough for one. But not the same if not fresh out of the oil...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, heidih said:

Do you order the muffuletta or make? Crawfish sounds good! I have nt had a Fastnacht doughniut in forevr - may have to purchase - not gonna fry dough for one. But not the same if not fresh out of the oil...

I've done both.  The biggest challenge is the bread--and I don't do too bad at that--but, this year I'm ordering from Central Grocery in LA.  Their store was shut down due to hurricane Ida.  Pretty sure it still is.  I thought it would be good to order and help them out...plus I love their bread :) .  The sandwiches are getting here a few days early, but I think they will store fine in the fridge.  If not, we will eat them a bit early and do something with shrimp.....or crawfish if I can get some here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I've done both.  The biggest challenge is the bread--and I don't do too bad at that--but, this year I'm ordering from Central Grocery in LA.  Their store was shut down due to hurricane Ida.  Pretty sure it still is.  I thought it would be good to order and help them out...plus I love their bread :) .  The sandwiches are getting here a few days early, but I think they will store fine in the fridge.  If not, we will eat them a bit early and do something with shrimp.....or crawfish if I can get some here.

How does that work?  Do they pack the bread and cold cuts separately?

48 minutes ago, KennethT said:

How does that work?  Do they pack the bread and cold cuts separately?

No, it's a whole sandwich......but it doesn't get soggy at all.  In fact, it gets better after a day or so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If anyone wants to make a muffuletta and doesn't want to order a whole sandwich, if you have a Jason's Deli near you, they once were nice enough to sell me their muffuletta loaves.  They are not as good as Central Groc., but they are very good.  You can't just buy a round loaf somewhere - they are too tough and all of your sandwich innards just squeeze out.  Jason's are tender enough that you can bite through cleanly.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well it is tomorrow. Any updates?

My muffulettas are in the fridge.  I also ordered a dessert so we will see.  I think oysters as an appetizer.  Ronnie will probably want fries.....but if I'm up to it I might to some onion rings too or something else kind of fun.

I hope everyone stays safe in NO and elsewhere --let's not have a Covid uprise please.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cteavin said:

I saw the title and was wondering wondering what this topic was about, because I'm fat everyday. 😆

You probably figured it out. It is Mardi Gras in French, the big celebration in New Orleans is well known, and the day before the religious Catholic season of Lent. So the blow-out before 40 days of "fasting".

• Like 1

Made pancakes for Fat Tuesday dinner with bacon for the daughter and homemade breakfast sausage for me. The daughter decided to revisit her childhood and requested chocolate chips in her pancakes. An abomination in my opinion... but I did it anyway. 😁

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

The Shooks are flipping pancakes at church for our annual Shrove Tuesday pancake supper.  Mr. Shook and I haven't ever cooked for it before, but Jessica has.  I'm hoping we also get to eat since pancakes are a favorite with me.  

Well surely there will be some cook's treat "fails" that need to be eaten ')

• Haha 2

As mentioned a few times upthread, including the sixth overall post, it's also Paczki Day. With Ms. Alex being Polish on both sides (plus 3% Ashkenazi, per 23 and Me), that's how we do it in our household. We also have a wide variety of fillings to choose from, more than just prune. In fact, only three of the six popular bakeries mentioned in this article offer prune. Our favorite bakery (where, unfortunately, paczki cost nearly double those of the others) offers "raspberry jam, lemon curd, cookies and cream, chocolate custard, prune, ube, and berries and cream."

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 2/17/2023 at 5:09 PM, heidih said:

So 2023 is Tuesday Feb 21. @kayb gave us a preview of her King cakes beginning  here. Plans?   https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155077-your-daily-sweets-what-are-you-making-and-baking-2017-–/?do=findComment&comment=2377946

Speaking of King Cakes, yesterday, Evan Kleiman's Good Food podcast/radio show included an interview with Matt Haines about his book, The Big Book of King Cake (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), which came out in 2021 and the more recent children's storybook, The Little Book of King Cake (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  

You can listen to the interview at this link.

And Amazon's "Look Inside" feature offers enough of a sample to read about a few of the classic New Orleans bakery king cakes.  Have a cup of coffee and something to nibble!

• Like 3

Apple crepes for breakfast today.  Very thinly sliced apples in a crepe batter which turned out to be a little trickier than I anticipated. This might be a one and done although they were very tasty. We were first served these in a restaurant with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert and I’ve been thinking about them for a very long time.

C377EE13-4637-496F-8621-D5EBB85D500B.jpeg

• Like 6

Well, Olney England won the annual pancake race against Liberal KS yesterday.  Better luck next year!

Nothing like getting a muffuletta straight from Central Grocery!

thumbnail_IMG_4022.jpg.2f7b8487975428610c68991e0b08d6f3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4023.jpg.7cd97ba5406108e07f26b28c84554524.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4027.jpg.9826f1b6c40ffd8ed3b782b5db8e8c0a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4028.jpg.0f3458d1f73eea34132b223e8089865d.jpg

I made some cinnamon rolls for dessert :)

thumbnail_IMG_4026.jpg.0f17841467424154a45ee30a0d18fc27.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Brilliant, @Shelby! I especially love the Mardi Gras coloring on the cinnamon rolls. And reading this, the day after Fat Tuesday, I realize that I have a jar of olive salad and could easily have made muffaletta. Didn't think of it yesterday. Oh, well!

Edited by Smithy
spelling (log)
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown