• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Fat Tuesday!

Basilgirl

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Much more interesting than stodgy, syrup laden disks. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the ones I remember being served on Shrove Tuesday. They were more like crepes and served with a sprinkling of sugar and a squeeze from a fresh orange.  

I remember fresh lemon. Never orange.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I remember fresl emon. Never orange.

We were a family of wusses.

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/25/2020 at 7:38 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Laziness and persistence from the kid regarding her preference won out. That and I just had Cajun recently. So pancakes with sausage (homemade) it was. Picture is pre-maple syrup. Didn't want it soaking in and getting everything soggy while I did the photo thing. 

fattuesday.jpg

whats your sausage recipe?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

whats your sausage recipe?

I use brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper, dried thyme, ground coriander, dried sage and the thing that finally brought it together. I kept messing with the proportions of the aforementioned ingredients and couldn't get exactly what I was looking for. The flavor was nice, it just wasn't really popping . So I tossed a little MSG in my next batch and that was the ticket. I'm not super careful with the measurements but for 1 pound ground pork I use about 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp MSG and anywhere from 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne and sage depending on what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Sometimes I go even higher on both the cayenne and crushed red pepper and I've left the sage out completely a few times. I've also substituted a couple tbsp. maple syrup for the brown sugar. I've made a mild version by leaving out the cayenne and using less crushed red pepper. Basically, I got a base sausage I was happy with and I just play around with it now and then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 11 months later...

Needing distraction in Pandemic times I advocate a big run up to Mardi Gras.  Great ideas in this topic. It is early this year - 16 Feb - so just 2 weeks out. I am all in for being a piglet. Makes Lent almost a relief - ah I am so virtuous (not) So?????

• Like 3

9 hours ago, heidih said:

Needing distraction in Pandemic times I advocate a big run up to Mardi Gras.  Great ideas in this topic. It is early this year - 16 Feb - so just 2 weeks out. I am all in for being a piglet. Makes Lent almost a relief - ah I am so virtuous (not) So?????

I always love reading this thread from the beginning.  Very strange to read last years posts...right before the shit hit the fan....

I've ordered a muffuletta sandwich kit to be delivered on Fat Tuesday.  Hopefully it gets here.  I have oysters.  I have cute little masks on toothpicks to poke in either a king cake or cinnamon rolls or something.  

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I always love reading this thread from the beginning.  Very strange to read last years posts...right before the shit hit the fan....

IIRC, last year's Mardi Gras played a large role in facilitating the introduction of fan to feces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, chromedome said:

IIRC, last year's Mardi Gras played a large role in facilitating the introduction of fan to feces.

You're very right.  I see there are no parades this year and, while I hate that it has to be this way,  that is a good thing.

• Like 2

Seeing this pop up reminds me that there's a local place that's been offering New Orleans style take-out from their catering kitchen, which obviously isn't doing much catering these days.  

Ordering for one doesn't allow for much variety but I'm thinking I could start with a Po Boy with some slaw for lunch and at the same time pick up an order of seafood jambalaya to warm up for dinner. 

I'll give them a try and report back.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ordering for one doesn't allow for much variety but I'm thinking I could start with a Po Boy with some slaw for lunch and at the same time pick up an order of seafood jambalaya to warm up for dinner. 

As long as your freezer is not suffering from Pandemic "Freshman 15" I think the dishes like jambalaya and gumbo are excellent candidates for a now & later feast. 

I am linking our dear late @Pierogi eG blog which she did during Mardi Gras 2011. Roberta did King Cake early on and jambalaya later in the week If time permits a fun read overall sprinkled with her special humor.   https://forums.egullet.org/topic/137499-eg-foodblog-pierogi-2011-rollin-the-bon-temps-on-the-left-co/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

The first of this year's King cakes. Made two last night, glazed and sprinkled this morning.

20210206_072148.thumb.jpg.2fcdd02f60d5f4648ca12267e4acd52a.jpg

That's beautiful! The gold charger plate under it is the perfect complement.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...

In training for the actual event, I sampled a couple of items from the local place I mentioned above. 

A sautéed shrimp Po'boy:

IMG_3564.thumb.jpeg.e41527ecb5db3ca06bb43fdf8075aa90.jpeg

Very messy to eat but the shrimp were perfectly cooked and aside from the sorry winter tomatoes, this was delicious

An order of seafood jambalaya:

IMG_3565.thumb.jpeg.3a1f7c29358b03d6e1d0bac8841ed02f.jpeg

This was a bit salty for my taste but everything was nicely cooked.  I ate about half and put the rest in the freezer.  I could pull it out for Tuesday or order something else. The seafood étouffée keeps calling my name!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Our church is having a Zoom Mardi Gras party, so I've ordered from them. Expecting red beans & rice (with sausage), pancakes, and king cake. Yes, I know, pancakes?!? But the church had a long tradition of a pancake supper for Shrove Tuesday, and then the current priest came and she's originally from the south. So Mardi Gras AND pancakes now. We're supposed to pick up and then get online to eat together. I'll probably make SOMETHING on the side bc it sounds like a bit more of a carb fest than is healthy for me. 

• Like 3

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Fancy some pancakes? Here’s a 16th century recipe which uses “two or three spoonefuls of ale” — (from The Good Huswifes Jewell, an English cookery book from 1585)

EuVztqCWYAINPuj.jpg.fba6d34deed3f09eaed1aeb63fd9f165.jpg

Image and text is Public Domain via the British Library.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Fancy some pancakes?

I just love the use of that very technical culinary term “stuffe”. Do you know what “Creame a pine” means?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, liuzhou said:

A pint of cream.

Ah. Thanks. 

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I just love the use of that very technical culinary term “stuffe”.

It was culinary term, meaning "stock or provision of food" or simply "food". Alternatively, it could mean foodstuffs used to stuff a fowl, a pie etc.

• Thanks 2

Happy Mardi Gras!

I'm bummed.  My muffuletta was supposed to be here today.  UPS tells me a shipping label was created, but it's never shipped.  Sigh.  I'm going to scrounge around to see what I can find here.  I think I have some andouille sausage.  I know I have some crawfish tails.  Internet has been down for me....dunno if it's because it feels like -30 or what, but it needs to stay up 'cause I have some googling to do!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4