• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Fat Tuesday!

Basilgirl

Friends are advocating girl's Fat Tuesday and to ditch the standards and just go but with low brow - Panda Express orange chicken etc - Could be fun. Got some hours to contemplate. Have not had PE in a few years. An then Wednesday morning we will roll into service having regretted it. Tolerant priest - lifelong surfer :)

Edited by heidih (log)

On 2/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, suzilightning said:

But … but … I haven't seen any paczki?!

Our Kroger has them every year and they are surprisingly good.  They are made by a company called Bake Crafters that supplies "Value-priced baked goods for schools, healthcare, sandwich makers, in-store bakeries and restaurants."  They are out of TENNESSEE!!!! 😮

Hey. Folks in Tennessee can bake. Hell, that's where I learned to make cathead biscuits. 😉

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

TENNESSEE!!!! 😮

Hey. Folks in Tennessee can bake. Hell, that's where I learned to make cathead biscuits. 😉

Half my family is from Memphis, so I know Tennessee has awesome bakers.  I just was surprised to find Polish bakers.  😂

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Friends are advocating girl's Fat Tuesday and to ditch the standards and just go but with low brow - Panda Express orange chicken etc - Could be fun. Got some hours to contemplate. Have not had PE in a few years. An then Wednesday morning we will roll into service having regretted it. Tolerant priest - lifelong surfer :)

Panda Hangover. Band name.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

So I started the fastnach kuchen batter last night for the first rising, and it looks like waffle batter this morning (sigh).  I'll punch it down, add lots more flour, and hope this self-corrects on the second rising.

1 minute ago, fondue said:

So I started the fastnach kuchen batter last night for the first rising, and it looks like waffle batter this morning (sigh).  I'll punch it down, add lots more flour, and hope this self-corrects on the second rising.

Humid where you are I think? Yeast dough is forgiving but that sounds tad gloppy

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Humid where you are I think? Yeast dough is forgiving but that sounds tad gloppy

South of the equator = Summer = rainy season.  Cyclone Francisco smacked us last weekend. 

Aarrgh, this is starting to be more appropriate to the, "I will never again" thread.  The doughnut dough is on its second rising,  but for a while there it was like something out of, "Batholomew Cubbins and the Ooblek"  The diections say to, "add another cup of flour, or as much as needed to make a stiff dough."  Subjective, much?  I guessed as long as dough was still sticking to the mixing spoon, it wasn't stiff.  Dump In more flour, mix, evaluate, frown, repeat.  Now it's covered by a towel on top of the gas stove.

In the spirit of, "More is more" I called off work today to stay home cooking.  I think part of me is just plain giddy about having a paycheck after a year - which means having enough food to share.  

I started making Cajun seasoning after looking up the ingrediants.  I will never again "taste test" a box labeled "piment rouge" to see if it's paprika.  No I will not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, fondue said:

I started making Cajun seasoning after looking up the ingrediants.  I will never again "taste test" a box labeled "piment rouge" to see if it's paprika.  No I will not.

Bit "warmer" than expected?. BIL's good friend brought me some peppers from his home town in the Seychelles long ago - wow! Even the adorable Department of Ag beagle at LAX left the smuggled seeds alone. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Bit "warmer" than expected?. BIL's good friend brought me some peppers from his home town in the Seychelles long ago - wow! 

It was in French to advertise to their *African* customers that it was red pepper.  My back still aches from the adrenalin dump!

The take home lesson?  Don't start cooking without a cup of coffee in you!

• Haha 1

The Hamtramck (Polish enclave surrounded by Detroit) paczki of my youth were smaller, denser, dark brown in color, and covered with granulated sugar, not powdered or glazed.  I remember the red jam filled were the most popular.   But I don't remember it being a big Fat Tuesday thing back in the day, that must have developed after I moved from the area. 

• Like 1

The dinner went really well: The invited family had never heard of jambalaya or gumbo before, but liked them both, but the donuts were the real hit of the evening: My son supervised the two oldest of the guests' children, to shake hot donuts in a bag with cinnamon sugar.  I remember how happy Fastnacht kuchen used to make me as a child.

With half the donut dough remaining, I mixed in dried candied  fruit peel, and let it do its third rise in the refrigerator.   After the guests left, I put the loaf into the oven (with a milk bath).  30 minutes later: Success!!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Laziness and persistence from the kid regarding her preference won out. That and I just had Cajun recently. So pancakes with sausage (homemade) it was. Picture is pre-maple syrup. Didn't want it soaking in and getting everything soggy while I did the photo thing. 

fattuesday.jpg

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Made muffuletta bread in the CSO--turned out ok.  Needed more salt.  I am one that thinks all baked goods usually need more salt though.  IMG_7495.JPG.fe8e7149b105bce1b3c8272fdecb2108.JPG

All the meats

IMG_7496.JPG.a80389d998be65fcc65d6513d0a4004a.JPG

IMG_7497.JPG.89090d71a93220dfaca61bb63b032929.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG.2caa4ea684e8f266076ffe558af8b2a5.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG.b23108c112a730524158c4e0b8ba1797.JPG

Forgot to picture the cheese but I used fresh mozzarella and munster and of course Boscoli olive salad

IMG_7504.jpg.fcc14bff52db7e79e126650c7971eed2.jpg

IMG_7510.JPG.f22f29f865237891cfd3bbd41f432858.JPG

IMG_7513.JPG.b5876626a8cf19fffc88136a8536051d.JPG

My mom sent me these cake pans along with a recipe for "little cake and frosting".  Perfect fit for 2 in the CSO or one in the Instant Pot.  A normal sized cake is always too much for us so this size works great.

IMG_7500.JPG.c5e54dc5c6d5816ae318119012d33505.JPG

Cake decorating is not my forte lol.  But it tastes good.

IMG_7505.JPG.8dafe8c612b91f9b9d471bf11816dcc1.JPG

IMG_7514.JPG.c9dd8991326c2db86776beafa7412768.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I never would have thought to use a mandoline for deli meat... how did it work out?

Pretty well actually.  If I was doing a ton of meat, not so much, but I didn't want to get the huge slicer down and slicing with a knife wasn't working at all lol.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Chinese scallion pancakes.

Much more interesting than stodgy, syrup laden disks. But I have a soft spot in my heart for the ones I remember being served on Shrove Tuesday. They were more like crepes and served with a sprinkling of sugar and a squeeze from a fresh orange.  

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog