• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Fat Tuesday!

Basilgirl

• 11 months later...

Fat Tuesday is next week--the 25th.  Need to get my butt in gear and figure out our menu :) .  I have frozen crawfish tails...what I wouldn't give for some live ones to do a boil with.  I don't have any oysters this year.  My usual place that I order them from hasn't had any :( .  Might have to do muffuletta again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Fat Tuesday is next week--the 25th.  Need to get my butt in gear and figure out our menu :) .  I have frozen crawfish tails...what I wouldn't give for some live ones to do a boil with.  I don't have any oysters this year.  My usual place that I order them from hasn't had any :( .  Might have to do muffuletta again.

How 'bout some blackened catfish? Jambalaya?  I once had an amazing jambalaya at Coop's in NO that had rabbit as one of the meats... it was crazy good...  and Crystal hot sauce...

• Like 2

I just sent a message to a good friend when I asked when would a good day to come and visit her(and Ace and Luna, the vizslas).  She said she was busy Monday and church on Wednesday ……     OHHHHH Mardi Gras is Tuesday.  THAT'S why I said to someone I was craving shrimp etouffe and jambalaya. 

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I just sent a message to a good friend when I asked when would a good day to come and visit her(and Ace and Luna, the vizslas).  She said she was busy Monday and church on Wednesday ……     OHHHHH Mardi Gras is Tuesday.  THAT'S why I said to someone I was craving shrimp etouffe and jambalaya. 

Yep, it's that time of year :) 

I was gonna ask son to join me in Nola  rather than NYC  cuz he had vacation time. - probably not a good plan right now - lost track of the calendar I knew people  on a Krewe  never made it down there- a supercharged event., Ideas abound  Share yours please

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

But … but … I haven't seen any paczki?!

They were featured prominently in the most recent flyer for one of the big Canadian chains (Superstore/Loblaw's).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We're having a pancake supper at church. Since you're supposed to pig out on rich stuff before Lent, I'd probably have to go with Crab Imperiale at Antoines or shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro. If I were cooking at home, likely crab and shrimp au gratin.

And of course,King Cake.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I love Lenten season because of the increased variety of fish available, both in the local supermarket and as specials in the restaurants. Fat Tuesday usually hits near my birthday so I'll find some way to indulge...

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I nearly fainted when I saw this thread pop up!  I thought it meant THIS WEEK and that I'd lost an entire week.   My in laws are coming to dinner on Ash Wednesday and I still don't have all of our Christmas decorations put away yet.  Tuesday we are going to the pancake supper at church.  The youth put it on every year as a fund raiser.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kayb said:

shrimp and grits

I was thinking that but I think I'm gonna do grillades and grits instead... or maybe just make some pancakes and call it done. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I nearly fainted when I saw this thread pop up!  I thought it meant THIS WEEK and that I'd lost an entire week.   My in laws are coming to dinner on Ash Wednesday and I still don't have all of our Christmas decorations put away yet.  Tuesday we are going to the pancake supper at church.  The youth put it on every year as a fund raiser.  

Me too!

• Haha 2

If I had thought of it before grocery shopping, maybe I would have planned latkes. As it is, maybe I'll just have some of the hot-cross buns that I have been pretending aren't for sale yet, since they appeared right after Christmas, and watch the Sydney LGBTQ parade on the TV. That's a huge deal in Australia, with all of the stations competing for viewers. Don't think we are in Kansas anymore, Toto.🙂

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

As one of the few American families in our congregation,  and with a social debt outstanding, I invited the pastor his wife and household for an American-style Mardi Gras! (OK, maybe no mention of how one earns beaded necklaces!)  They're from the RSA, and as Evangelicals, completely unaware of the tradition of Lent or it's "id" forerunner, Fasching/Carnivale/Mardi Gras.

No alcohol, right?  So already a little different.  No file powder, paprika only in the Indian grocery stores, and small children under five, so no King cake.  Scrounging, I can do jambalaya,  corn bread, gumbo z'herbes,  and fastnacht kuchen for dessert. I explained it's got a birthday party vibe - nothing formal - and I'll find party hats and noisemakers.  I hope to find zydeco music to play during dinner!!

• Like 2

Too much food. Ditch everything and just fry the donuts - fried food keeps kids happy and brings out the kid in grown-ups ;). If you do the green gumbo - I like Kim's recipe and story as she takes from great ladies   http://www.kimseverson.com/index.php/site/recipe/gumbo_zherbes/ 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, heidih said:

Too much food. Ditch everything and just fry the donuts - fried food keeps kids happy and brings out the kid in grown-ups ;). If you do the green gumbo - I like Kim's recipe and story as she takes from great ladies   http://www.kimseverson.com/index.php/site/recipe/gumbo_zherbes/ 

Thanks for the encouragement to keep it simple!  :)

12 hours ago, heidih said:

If you do the green gumbo

That's for my Holy Thursday dinner (I'm not particularly religious but anything that inspires me to cook something special for the occasion is ok by me)… but if we're keeping it simple, most of the things mentioned so far are less work than that one. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Previously posted in the Daily Sweets thread, but...

20200222_212935.thumb.jpg.b79c17fbb9faabb05ceed61ad7a1eff1.jpg

One for home, one for church tomorrow morning. If I can build myself up to it, I'll  make a couple more tomorrow to give folks.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, suzilightning said:

But … but … I haven't seen any paczki?!

Our Kroger has them every year and they are surprisingly good.  They are made by a company called Bake Crafters that supplies "Value-priced baked goods for schools, healthcare, sandwich makers, in-store bakeries and restaurants."  They are out of TENNESSEE!!!! 😮

IMG_1419.jpg.87532fd9881577df06ba614319025796.jpgDSCN0669.JPG.beaf468646efd996b733a22b0a8abd07.JPGDSCN0670.JPG.2435ef8baf256b391cac04f3e175c8e9.JPG

• Like 2