• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Fat Tuesday!

Basilgirl

I fried 18 pounds of bacon for Shrove Tuesday pancake dinner at church last night. I may give up bacon for Lent. We decimated that and about 8 pounds of sausage, and I don't know HOW many pancakes. 

Pancake toppings included nutella, peanut butter, regular syrup, chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, chocolate chips, pecans, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pecans, and whipped cream. Maybe some others, but I forget. I settled for regular syrup and pecans.

Giving up alcohol and candy for Lent. We'll see how this goes.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

In honor of day, I had a catfish po' boy for lunch at the Pappadeaux location in the Houston (IAH) airport.  Better than average airport food.  

Growing up, we always had pancakes and sausage or bacon for supper on Shrove Tuesday and I was thinking I might do that when I got home.  However, it was 90 degrees here yesterday and my power was out - planned outage but a surprise to me since the notice came while I was out of town.  I have a gas cooktop so I could have done the pancakes but instead went to the store for a bag of ice, chilled a bottle of wine and relaxed with my kitty boys.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

It's Fat Tuesday, ya'll :)

I'm not as on the ball as I was last year....I don't know what I'm making for tonight yet.  I do have some oysters....I do have fixings for muffaletta's ..

My mom made this yesterday --a savory boudin king cake.  She made her own bread.  She sent me pictures.  It looks scrumptious.

edited to say that I tried to get live crawfish delivered here today, but they couldn't do it.  They will be here Friday, though...so yeah, crawfish boil for us...so it's like Mardi Gras week here :) 

Anyone doing anything special?  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

That boudin king cake looks like a fun idea!  I've been noodling around, trying to think what to make, and whether it should be New Orleans flavors or simply the Mardi Gras colors. Whatever it is will need to come out of the freezer soon.  I have shrimp that I can do in an a yellow curry sauce (think turmeric); I have a few tomatoes; alas, I can't think of anything for the purple color since I've used up eggplant. Would I violate the spirit of the game if I didn't do Cajun or Creole flavors?

Edit: whoops, got the colors wrong. I need something green, not red. Hmm. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's gumbo night! Paul Prudhomme's recipe (including his quick roux). Locally made andouille from the good folks at Crane Dance Farm.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It was supposed to be pancakes at church last night, but that called off due to the threat of adverse weather (we had tornadoes and such). So I went to eat with a friend and had fish tacos.

But I've got to try that boudin king cake.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

We settled for Zatarain's Dirty Rice (dinner in a box!), augmented by chopped greens and Farmer John's Hot Louisiana Brand (made in California!) sausage.  Lazy, but satisfying.

20170301_080524.jpg

• Like 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I ended up making crêpes for Mardi Gras.

Crêpe de froment jambon oeuf fromage (wheat flour crêpe with the classic ham egg & cheese combo)

Crepe de froment jambon oeuf fromage pour Mardi Gras

Not pictured: plenty more crêpes with granulated sugar, nutella, homemade saffron peach jam...

• Like 8

It kinda snuck up on me so I went with lots of cheese in  flour tortilla with wild greens and hot sauce. Soo good - waiting 40 days for another will make it so much better ;)

• 11 months later...

My sweetie is (sigh) doing a keto diet, so every Tuesday is Fat Tuesday. 

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My sweetie is (sigh) doing a keto diet, so every Tuesday is Fat Tuesday. 

Still, that butter poached lobster will make a fine centrepiece on you valentines dinner :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Usually we go to our church for a pancake supper. We have a new rector this year and she also wants to do a "Low Country Shrimp Boil." Kinda weird to mix both, but it should be fun. Not counting the part where I'm hauling my husband into the church itself so a bunch of us can move the altar and set it up to do Lent truly "old school", with the priest's back to everyone. That should be...interesting (no one's ever seen it moved....).

• Like 1

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I hope we're doing pancakes Tuesday night at church -- haven't heard anyone say! Love the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper!

For that, I'd move chicken and sausage gumbo to Monday.

Don't ask. Eat it.

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Still, that butter poached lobster will make a fine centrepiece on you valentines dinner :D 

That probably *is* what's going to happen, though it galls me to pay over $10/lb for lobster. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

It's Fat Tuesday tomorrow!

I ordered some goodies from this really great place in Louisiana.  No live crawfish yet, so I had to settle for frozen tails.  I think I'll fry those up tomorrow night.....maybe some crawfish boudin to go with and some oysters.  

• Like 5

I just got back from NOLA, so I did my pigging on seafood down there this past weekend. I do need to knock out two more king cakes today, though.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

Did the person who got the King / Baby get out of doing the dishes?

• Haha 2