• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afghan restaurant in LA

DavidJS

I think there is one out in the Valley. I'll see if I can find something on it. This is the one I was thinking of. Haven't been.

Afghan House

8516 Reseda Blvd.

Northridge

(818) 709-6233

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Sad to say that while I was living in L.A. (Northridge, at that point), the Afghan war with the U.S. was going on and a lot of the Afghani restaurants in the valley (where they were the most prevalent) were vandalized. I believe several of them went out of business.

DineSite.com lists 14 of them none of which ring a bell to me - but it might be a good start.

Hollywood, I believe I've eaten at the one you mention, but it is not listed on the site I provided... Wondering if it is still around.

Two others from Gayot.com - again, not remotely familiar with either.

Azeen’s

110 E. Union St.

Pasadena, CA 91103 Afghan

Walter’s

308 N. Yale Ave.

Claremont, CA 91711 Afghan/Middle Eastern/American

• 1 month later...

Some friends and I trekked out to Azeen's in Pasadena last week. We all enjoyed it - the food was tasty, the interior is nicely furnished, and the service was good. I was slightly disappointed in the bread, which seemed like it was a flatbread made in a bakery, but I was hoping for the large naan type breads I had read about. FWIW, one of my friends with us is of Afghan heritage, so we had her advice and guidance. Sorry, no pictures this time, but I'd definitely go back again at some point.

edit: rephrased Afghan heritage

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Afghan bread are usually on the flat side unlike East Indian. That's how I had it at the NY restaurants. I'll have to check out Azeens this weekend based on FoodZealot review. Btw, how was the prices were they affordable/ reasonable?

Apps were about $3-5, and entrees were about $9-14. My favorite items were the fried eggplant with yogurt & meat sauce appetizer and the eggplant and tomato "stew". Just to elaborate, the bread they served was pretty much like a dimpled foccacia.

It's a little bit of a hike from the westside, so I hope it lives up to your expectations.