• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tahini

I am looking for a good homemade tahini recipe. Despite being only sesame seeds and oil, I've seen a lot of variations with the seed to oil ratio and some recipes call for water and/or salt.

-- Jason

Although I am sure there are eG people who cook the garbanzos, here is my stand by method:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drain and rinse but retain 1/2 can of liquid

3-4 cloves garlic

juice 1/2-1 lemon

1/4 c or more olive oil

1/4 c tahini

pepper salt if needed

In food processor, chop garlic and add garbanzos and process until almost smooth

Add remaining ingredients except salt and pepper. Process and then taste for a nice balance of garlic, lemon, bean. Correct as needed or to your taste.

Spread out on a plate and drizzle with more olive oil.

Yield: about 1 pint

I'm not sure if you intend to do Tahini from scratch. If not here is my way:

"After 25 years of experimenting with various ways of reaching the sublimity of Thi-na (tahini). I went through lots of recipes and ingredients, and few years ago came to what I consider as Tahina perfection:

I use Karawan Tahina, (made in Nablus) with a picture of a dove/bird on the label.(its usually very fresh, with minor liquids separation. I am very happy that supplies get in Israel. ).

I follow a rule to do my Tahina "hand made", no blender/food-processor (Magimix ;-)) the mixing tool is a large wooden spoon.

For half a container (250 Grams) of Tahina I add separately and in that order:

1/2 a cup of fresh lemon juice.

1/3 a cup of water.

Salt

Fresh black pepper

1 Teaspoon of crushed garlic

1/2 cup of chopped parsley ( I do it with knife...)

The matter of consistency may be balanced with additional water. We (my family) like our tahina thick.

As a matter of fact I once did try the exact ingredients in a food processor all at once versus the manual, slow food version, and guess which was better"

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

I believe itch22 is looking for a Tahini recipe not "Hummus" or "Tahini sauce". Unfortunatly I do not have one as I do not see the need to make my own. But the ingredients as I understand it are just oil and sesame seeds.

Please do let us know if you find a recipe you like...I might just try it and see if it is better than the one I buy.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Tahini is both a sesame seed paste, similar to peanut butter, but with sesame seeds (I usually just buy that, instead of grinding my own), and a condiment made with the paste and other flavorings, usually garlic and lemon juice. I have posted in RecipeGullet the recipe exactly as given to me by one of our favorite Lebanese restaurants in NJ.

Tahini Sauce on RecipeGullet
Bennies Restaurant, Englewood NJ

Does anyone happen to know what makes tahini different from Chinese sesame paste? They taste completely different (the latter is more like peanuts), but presumably have the same ingredients.

Oh, just did a cursory search of archives, and someone says Chinese is toasted seeds, and Middle Eastern are raw. But I swear I've read Lebanese recipes saying to toast the seeds.

Anyone?

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

• 5 years later...

Has anyone tried making their own tahini (not taratoor, but tahini ie. sesame paste) from scratch, yet?

Questions--

Toasted or untoasted seeds?

If toasted, lightly toasted or heavily toasted?

olive oil or sesame oil?

food processor or blender?

My food processor is an 11-cupper, so I assume I'd have to make a couple of cups in order to make it worthwhile? My blender kind of sucks, so I'd like to avoid using it. But I can make do if I have to.

Can't grind it by hand because I've got tennis elbow up the wazoo.

About tahini in a jar--how long would it last at room temperature? I'm talking about the commercially available stuff, not homemade. I've got a two year old jar in my cupboard that has been opened (about two years ago, actually). Room temperature in Japan, however, ranges throughout the year from about 10C to 35 or 40C. I'm afraid to taste it--I hate the taste of stale sesame oil!

Has anyone tried making their own tahini (not taratoor, but tahini ie. sesame paste) from scratch, yet?

Questions--

Toasted or untoasted seeds?

If toasted, lightly toasted or heavily toasted?

olive oil or sesame oil?

food processor or blender?

My food processor is an 11-cupper, so I assume I'd have to make a couple of cups in order to make it worthwhile? My blender kind of sucks, so I'd like to avoid using it. But I can make do if I have to.

Can't grind it by hand because I've got tennis elbow up the wazoo.

About tahini in a jar--how long would it last at room temperature? I'm talking about the commercially available stuff, not homemade. I've got a two year old jar in my cupboard that has been opened (about two years ago, actually). Room temperature in Japan, however, ranges throughout the year from about 10C to 35 or 40C. I'm afraid to taste it--I hate the taste of stale sesame oil!

Hi, I have made my own Tahini from a 'bargain' buy of sesame seeds. I only lightly toasted the seeds as I am not keen on a strong taste, I must admit to using Sunflower Oil in the days before I knew better! Tasted good though. I used a powerful liquidiser, think I would have needed to add a lot more oil if using my processor. I liked the result but, honestly, would not really bother again unless I had been given the seeds. I know not why but it seemed to need more salt in finished dish than 'shop bought'.