• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peru Again

I always see abundant stocks of Aji Amarillo Pepper paste and Panca Pepper paste in jars at the store. So I bought some.

Anyone know any traditional recipes/uses for this stuff? I looked up some recipes but only found one or 2 references for use in marinades. I assumed that because of its prominence and availability at a few stores, its got to be a staple or condiment, no?

• 2 months later...

Both pastes are most commonly used as condiments - when my mother-in-law is in town she goes through jars of the aji amarillo - she puts it on just about everything. Also, its used in recipes that normally call for fresh chiles that aren't available here (unusual to find fresh aji amarillo or panca).

One of the most common uses in a recipe for aji amarillo is in papas a al huancaina, which is a sauce served over boiled potatos.

You can find a lot of creative uses for panca in the Nobu cookbook. Aji amarillo is, indeed, used for anything! Aji de Pollo is probably my favorite dish with it! :smile:

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

My housekeeper is from Bolivia and she said they use them there too. She sautes onions, garlic and tomatoes and adds the panca paste, simmers for while and adds chicken and a little stock. Couldn't get much more out of her.

Since my post I have made both panca and amarillo aioli with roasted quail.

Also, I sweat sliced onions, garlic and add some panca and tomato and use it as a base for grilled flank and fresh tortilla tacos. I've gone thru a couple of jars so far this way.

I see it now regularly in the latin grocery stores here in DC, more than 1 brand. Somebody's got to be cooking with it :shock:

• 6 months later...

A popular use of aji amarillo is in the Peruvian dish called causa. The mashed potato component of this preparation is colored and flavored with a paste made of these peppers. There probably are lots of recipes on the Net for this classic and delicious dish.

• 1 month later...

These chefs use both ajis quite a lot: Douglas Rodriguez, Norman Van Aken, Nobu, Allen Susser, Charlie Trotten and even Thomas Keller, but I'm not sure if the pastes are used in their cookbooks. Still, worth checking out. In any case, Causa and Aji de Pollo (peruvian style) both use Aji Amarillo. You can check those recipes online. I found many of them on google. Good luck and keep experimenting!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español