• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

road trip 2004

suzilightning

we are readying for road trip 2004 to florida and back to new jersey.

last year we got some wonderful suggestions for where to eat so here we go again...

if you have any ideas for places to eat in the following towns please let me know

petersburg, va

darien, ga

copeland, fl

homestead, fl

st. augustine, fl

wilmington, nc

nags head, nc

thank you, thank you, thank you - i always rely on the kindness of strangers

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

While in Nags Head must go to Meridian 42 in Southern shores. Coastal Mediterranean food, best restaurant on the beach. It's finer dining than most but it's a real casual atmosphere. If you want simpler fare, we also like Tortugia's lie in nags head. Great local's favorite. If you're coming in the summer and you want to eat at Meridian call for reservations, Tortugia's like many restaurants here don't take reservations. Meridian has a website with their menu. (it changes seasonally)

www.meridian42.com

Darien, GA- I have to ask why :biggrin:

But if you do stop there, Archie's in downtown Darien is an institution- try the fried catfish. A bit south of Darien is Brunswick, GA. There, try the GA Pig barbecue (just off the interstate- exit 29 I think) for lunch or Cargo Portside Grill in downtown Brunswick for a nice dinner.

Further south still is St. Mary's, GA (interstate exit 3)- home of St. Mary's Seafood for fried seafood and sweet tea.

Also, I have friends who enjoy Pelican Point restaurant in Midway, GA but I have not been.

I've got a bunch of places along your way on my site: URL=http://www.hollyeats.com]HollyEats. Check the South, Charleston and Carolina BBQ pages.

A must stop is Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredricksburg VA. This is the real stuff. And they hand dip it to make it look like it came from a soft serve machine. Just off I-95 and will tide you over til you get to Petersburg.

If you're in Wilminton NC, you'll probably be driving past Calabash NC on the NC/SC border. Get off and head to the Calabash Seafood Hut. All over the Carolina's you'll see signs for Calabash style fried seafood. This is where it all started. If the Calabash Seafood Hut is closed, try Ella's, across the street.

At least once, when you see a sign for boiled peanuts. Stop. They're awfully good and way too habit forming.

Have a great trip and report back on your discoveries.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Darien, GA- I have to ask why :biggrin:

But if you do stop there, Archie's in downtown Darien is an institution- try the fried catfish. A bit south of Darien is Brunswick, GA. There, try the GA Pig barbecue (just off the interstate- exit 29 I think) for lunch or Cargo Portside Grill in downtown Brunswick for a nice dinner.

Further south still is St. Mary's, GA (interstate exit 3)- home of St. Mary's Seafood for fried seafood and sweet tea.

Also, I have friends who enjoy Pelican Point restaurant in Midway, GA but I have not been.

husband - the engineer - set up the itinerary based on how far he wants to drive per day.

thanks all for the suggestions and keep them coming. i'm compiling a list to take with us.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A must stop is Carl's Frozen Custard in Fredricksburg VA. This is the real stuff. And they hand dip it to make it look like it came from a soft serve machine. Just off I-95 and will tide you over til you get to Petersburg.

thanks holly. will check out your site. no custard for either of us i'm afraid - john would be in a fetal position crying after an hour or so and i would be hanging out in one of those places with the crescent moon on the door. :shock:

i am hoping to get my fill of bbq, though

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Darien is fairly close to home, so I might be able to offer some additional suggestions. In Darien itself, Archies is as good a call as any. In general, the thing to eat in this area is seafood, mostly of the deep fried variety. There are many small seafood places along US 17, which runs parallel to I-95, including the previously mentioned Pelican Point (which I'm pretty sure is actually closer to Crescent than Midway if you're looking at a map). Of this genre, I like Sapelo Station in Eulonia, but many other places have their following.

As also mentioned elewhere, the Georgia Pig is good BBQ, but it's about 20 miles South of Darien on US 82 less than a mile East of I-95 (look left). Expect pulled, smoky meat in sauce on a large hamburger bun, toasted in a sandwich press. The sandwiches and sweet tea are very good, but most of the sides are just OK including, unfortunately, the Brunswick stew (you might expect more in Brunswick). Do not ask for fries; they don't have them and for some reason it is surprisingly annoying to the people behind the counter to have to say so.

If you are willing to stray as far off I-95 as Savannah or St. Simons Island your choices increase exponentially (at least the word, if not the concept, should appeal to an engineer). If you're up for the detour, I can offer some possibilities in these towns.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

Sanitary Fish Market

The Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant, beloved Morehead City institution, is worth the minor detour between Wilmington and Nag's Head. It's been there forever. Kids from Virginia and the Carolinas have been going to summer camp around there for generations. We all have treasured memories of meals at the Sanitary and the respite it provided from mundane camp mess fare. Many folks of my dad's generation could tell you what it was like in the '40's and '50's- exactly the same.

Sanitary Fish Market

The Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant, beloved Morehead City institution, is worth the minor detour between Wilmington and Nag's Head. It's been there forever. Kids from Virginia and the Carolinas have been going to summer camp around there for generations. We all have treasured memories of meals at the Sanitary and the respite it provided from mundane camp mess fare. Many folks of my dad's generation could tell you what it was like in the '40's and '50's- exactly the same.

I feel like all I do these days is post disagreeable comments to enthusiastic recommendations, but . . .

I wouldn't stop to eat at Sanitary. We spend a week at Atlantic Beach last summer--hit the main restaurants there and in Morehead City. Sanitary is a big generic restaurant with mediocre fried seafood. It was a good place for our group because we had three screaming kids with us and they fit right into the scene. But, if you are looking for memorable, tasty, or interesting food, I'd look elsewhere.

husband - the engineer - set up the itinerary based on how far he wants to drive per day.

thanks all for the suggestions and keep them coming. i'm compiling a list to take with us.

I drive the stretch from Rocky Mount to DC on 95 with some regularity. Rather than stopping in Petersburg, I suggest stopping in Richmond. The distance between the cities is negligable, and Richmond has so much more to offer, both from a food perspective and, frankly, from most perspectives.

Sanitary Fish Market

I feel like all I do these days is post disagreeable comments to enthusiastic recommendations, but . . .

I wouldn't stop to eat at Sanitary. We spend a week at Atlantic Beach last summer--hit the main restaurants there and in Morehead City. Sanitary is a big generic restaurant with mediocre fried seafood. It was a good place for our group because we had three screaming kids with us and they fit right into the scene. But, if you are looking for memorable, tasty, or interesting food, I'd look elsewhere.

I also have to agree with Zeb. Yeah, Sanitary is an institution, but the last few times I've eaten there, the food was so-so at best. The question is, of course, what better alternatives do you have?!?! I'd suggest going north of Nags Head into Duck and hit the Blue Point Oyster Bar. That's a great place, and Duck has a couple of other choice restaurants that have been discussed elsewhere, I believe.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My St. Augustine favorites:

Downtown on St. George street stop into the Mill top tavern for a drink. Nice atmosphere. Their back porch is literally a little treehouse. The Columbia Restaurant is touristy, but the food is pretty tasty and the atmosphere is nice. link It will be busy at peak times. My inlaws also like Harrys for cajun, but I hesitate to recommend it as I haven't been there myself and my MIL bakes her hams with a pineapple juice and LaChoy sweet and sour sauce glaze, if you get my drift.

Then, this is the cool part, take A1A south for a while instead of 95, at least to Ormond Beach. The drive is beautiful, and fun as much of it is the real old, beachy florida. Stop at the Matanzas Inlet restaurant. 8805 AIA south. Be careful, you can drive past it REALLY easily as it is sort of tucked under a bridge. The Matanzas hotel (a 60s style place) is right across the street. This place is great, very fresh seafood and excellent hometown service. Very casual, wear your flip flops kind of place. Also has a back deck with nice waterfront views. You can watch the locals fish and the traffic on the bridge. Their landscaping mulch is cool too, made up of shucked oyster shells.

If you dare stop at some of the bars along this stretch too. Some of these places are almost cariactures of cracker florida culture.

Have a great trip!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

On this topic, I am reminded of Jane and Michael Sterns book, "Eat Your Way Across the USA." This book (published in 1997), plots obscure eateries that is of worthy notation. It provides a great taste of the area that you are travelling through. Worth picking up if you dont have it. Unfortunetely it is already out of print.

They have a new publication, "Roadfood: The Coast-to-Coast Guide to 500 of the Best Barbeque Joints, Lobster Shacks, Ice Cream Parlors, Highway Diners, and Much More (published in May 2002)." I think this is a follow up to their previous road travelling book.

The Sterns' are freelance writers for Gourmet (or is it Bon Appetite) magazine.

They also have a web page:

Roadfood

I assume St. Augustine is an overnight stop. Where will you be staying (I live in the area - might be able to recommend places depending on where you'll be)? My husband and I like A1A Aleworks - right in the heart of everything downtown on King Street. It's not a huge deal restaurant (not a dump either). Decent Floribean fusion food. Good microbrews (it's a microbrewery too). Forget Harry's.

We sent my brother-in-law to the Georgia Pig a few weeks ago when he was driving home to Michigan. He said it was closed. Didn't say whether for good - or just a vacation. So I'd check. Robyn

<<husband - the engineer - set up the itinerary based on how far he wants to drive per day.>>

I have lived in Florida for over 30 years - both north and south - and cannot recommend staying in Copeland or Homestead. Not to put too fine a point on it - Homestead is kind of a dump. Why stay in Homestead when you're close to much nicer places in/near Miami - or in the Keys? Ditto with Copeland in terms of places on the west coast (is there anything in Copeland other than a gas station - I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it and looked it up on a map?) . On the other hand - St. Augustine is fine. Robyn

<<husband - the engineer - set up the itinerary based on how far he wants to drive per day.>>

I have lived in Florida for over 30 years - both north and south - and cannot recommend staying in Copeland or Homestead.  Not to put too fine a point on it - Homestead is kind of a dump.  Why stay in Homestead when you're close to much nicer places in/near Miami - or in the Keys?  Ditto with Copeland in terms of places on the west coast (is there anything in Copeland other than a gas station - I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it and looked it up on a map?) .  On the other hand - St. Augustine is fine.  Robyn

that is about how far we can make it since this is primarily a birding vacation and both these sites put us in good striking distance of hot spots for specific birds to add to john's life list.

eating is a secondary pursuit - to him.

thanks for all the suggestions, though. what do you know of someplace called fiddler's green. one of the engineers john works with suggested it - though i like the sound of the matanzas inlet restaurant or a1a aleworks.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have lived in Florida for over 30 years - both north and south - and cannot recommend staying in Copeland or Homestead.  Not to put too fine a point on it - Homestead is kind of a dump.  Why stay in Homestead when you're close to much nicer places in/near Miami - or in the Keys?  Ditto with Copeland in terms of places on the west coast (is there anything in Copeland other than a gas station - I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it and looked it up on a map?) .  On the other hand - St. Augustine is fine.  Robyn

that is about how far we can make it since this is primarily a birding vacation and both these sites put us in good striking distance of hot spots for specific birds to add to john's life list.

eating is a secondary pursuit - to him.

thanks for all the suggestions, though. what do you know of someplace called fiddler's green. one of the engineers john works with suggested it - though i like the sound of the matanzas inlet restaurant or a1a aleworks.

I'm not sure what your daily time requirements are in terms of looking at birds (i.e., when you have to be up and out looking for birds) - but you might consider staying in Dadeland instead of Homestead. It's a suburb south of downtown Miami - there's a Marriott there - and I'm sure there are other places as well. Big mall - lots of places of to eat. It's about 25 minutes from Homestead. You won't find much in Homestead except a lot of rednecks in trailers and migrant labor workers. The northernmost keys are closer to Homestead - they're very nice - but I'm sure the places there are a lot pricier in season than the Marriott (which is basically a business hotel). On the map - Copeland looks like it's about 15 minutes outside of Naples - and I'd shoot for Naples.

We've been to Fiddler's Green (it was recommended to us too) - but have never eaten there. Walked out. It's very popular - doesn't take reservations - and is the kind of place where you have to wait forever before eating. I don't like those kind of places. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure you mentioned when you'd be down here. What are your dates? Note that this is a very busy time of year in Florida - and - with things like hotels/motels - you can't always expect to pop in and find vacancies. E.g., we have the Players' Championship (golf tournament) in the Jacksonville area in late March - and the entire 3 county area is pretty much sold out for that event.

I am a very amateur bird person (up to 30 species in my backyard and still counting). I don't know if it's a good birding place for what your husband is trying to find - but Flamingo in Everglades National Park is the kind of place you won't run across anywhere else in the US. It's primitive - but it's the essence of the Everglades. If you do cross Florida on Alligator Alley (that's the road to Copeland) - leave some time to stop at Shark Valley for a few hours (there's a tram - but it's better renting a bike to do the loop). What birds is your husband trying to sight? Robyn

Interesting road trip! Your itinerary makes more sense now that you say it is a birding trip for John's life list. Good luck with the "feather quest." I hope the good birds make up for the poor food and accommodations you might end up with. I'd suggest bringing a cooler and keeping it well stocked for those times you are no where near a decent meal. Our southern birding trips have proven to be the greatest food challenges over the years. I mean no insult to our southeastern egulleteers, but you have to understand that birding takes you to places you would never venture in your lifetime. Starr County, Texas was a prime example of vacationing in one of the most depressed parts of the USA! Good birding and stock up on good food when you find it. :biggrin:

KathyM