• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au 35 rue Jacob, Paris, Restaurant

PS

Anyone been to this restaurant? It got a good write-up in a travel article in the Scotsman at the weekend - good value lunches (8 Euros!), lots of cassoulet, I think. I'm loathed to trust some of these travel pieces, though, and would welcome any comments from people with first hand experiences...

PS

Edinburgh

Could be, if the Scotsman misprinted it, which is always a possibility.

The relevant paragraph is as follows:

"Around the corner at 25 rue Jacob is a perfect bistro called 25, serving staples such as cassoulet and tarte Tatin. With one waitress, one chef, one room, no phone and one or two options per day, it’s like eating in a bohemian’s front room: cheap and atmospheric. Set lunch 8. "

"Around the corner" from the Le Bon Marche, apparently. Must be a particularly long corner if my memory of the geography of Paris is correct.

PS

Edinburgh

"Around the corner" from the Le Bon Marche

Apparently the writer is a shopper. I think my mother would have related well to directions relative the nearest upscale department store. Six or eight blocks from le Bon Marche would have been far more meaningful than up or down the block from the Eglise St. Germain des Pres or the Beaux Arts. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Au 35 rue Jacob. 01. 42.60.23.24 This tiny bistrot is on our rat track, so we frequently check out both their menu and seatings. They serve slightly tweaked versions of classic bistro dishes. We have never had a free night since they opened, but I can tell you that they are full at both lunch and 8:30 dinner sittings. I do get the feeling that this is more of a neighborhood than tourist supported dining room.

North of Saint Germain, it is a healthy "'round the corner" from Bon Marche.

Do note, that as of the printing of their recent business card, "35" is open 7/7, unusual in Paris.

eGullet member #80.