• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition: Round Eighteen

When Nonna couldn't find her tongs, ravioli wheel or rosary, she would call out to Santa Lucia, the patron saint of lost objects. For us cooks, chefs, and beekeepers, the calendar is stacked, stuffed and tourneed with patron saints to invoke when we're in the weeds.

Bartender? St. Arnand. Coffeehouse owner? St. Drago. Chefs have five saints watching over them, including Saint Martha. Fishermen net seven, my personal favorite being St. Zeno of Verona. If you're a poulterer, pray to Saint John the Baptist. If you're a goose, apply to Saint Martin of Tours.

Greengrocer in Grand Rapids, Michigan? The mantle of both St. Christopher (fruitsellers) and Saint Andrew (patron saint of your diocese) will be a comforting blanket as you lie in bed worrying about spoilage. If you're a greengrocer in Kalamazoo, it's a conference call to St. Christopher and St. Augustine of Hippo.

St. Drago protects sheep, St. Bernadette comforts shepherdesses. Vintners can pray to eight saints just waiting for your call – alpha order: St. Amand through St. Walter of Pontoise.

Who's your kitchen saint? Did Santa Marcella set you on the straight path to Ragu Bolognese? Or was it St. Mario? Do you invoke St. Jacques every time you pick up a knife, and curse St. Anthony of Manhattan every time you can't find your Marlboros? Our protectors have their symbols in art and religion -- if you see a scallop shell, it's St. Jacques. A bee means St. Martha, an ox, St. Thomas Aquinas. Or maybe, St. Fergus.

Whom do you hallow in your kitchen? Who gives you the strength to tournee ten pounds of potatoes, tend your sourdough starter, or find that damned spatula?

Let's get our personal kitchen saints and redeemers onto the calendar. Name them, tell us why they're sacred to you, and throw in their symbol, the image you've embossed on your custom dinner service.

St. Ian of Ottawa: He chauffeurs his demanding chef (cheerfully!) to six grocery stores (in a Canadian February!) for that perfect bunch of watercress. Symbol: Silver Buick LeSabre.

Pray here:Now.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 3 weeks later...

Sinners, I'm closing this round Sunday, March 14th at midnight. There is someone in your kitchen -- or your memory --who's begging for beatification.

I pondering Mexican for dinner tonight. Check out the eGRA and I'm sure you'll agree that we have a culinary saint right here: St Jaymes of Jalapeno. Symbol: Armadillo.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I am new to the forum and am really sorry to miss out on this!

living in italy.. and 13 years of catholic school ( I am AMerican).. I have a fascination for Saints!!!

I live in Florence, Italy and teach cooking. I work at the Central Market right downtown and it is the Mercato di San Lorenzo.. St. Lawrence..

He was Grilled!!!! I have some fabulous images at home, he is always shown with a lovely iron grill in his hand!

.. but am downtown teaching this week!

For fabulous icons, I love Santa Lucia, eyes on a plate...one of my favorites!

My own patron saint is Jude.. patron saint of the impossible!!!

Can't wait to read the outcomes!!!! :rolleyes:

When in Rome, look for some of the lovely Pope-openers... bottle openers with the pope on them!

i have my own guardian angel as my logo on My site but don't know how to copy the image here!

Edited by divina (log)

Divina, welcome to eGullet I love your website. I have known about you for years...when I planned my trip to Italy in 2001, I found you. Beautiful site and beautiful logo!

You can use the IMG button, above when composing your post, to insert the location of your images. Just copy the location (http://www.divinacucina.com/images/homenewlogo.gif) and click IMG. Paste the location into the little pop-up box and click "OK." Poof! Here's your image!

homenewlogo.gif