• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mardi Gras Cocktails!

beans

I've pulled together some Big Easy cocktails for Tuesday. Took a bit of convincing to get Those That Be at my employing restaurant/bar to order in some Pernod (it's expensive!) I know I needed to really search down if we can get Herbsaint.... oh well. Pernod will have to do!

Also different this year, Ohio now permits the sale of Everclear. :rolleyes: So, I guess I'll be able to make a similar knock off, Hand Grenade type of drink. (It is a trademarked drink recipe from the Tropical Isle). I'll take my one NOLA contact that tends in the French Quarter's word on the proportions because I remember tasting a drink with Everclear in it only once -- and two minutes later I could no longer feel my entire face from the fast numbing quality of that liquor. :blink: Of course, we'll name it something else but I'm a bit worried about limiting the number of them to be sold to one guest!

Up on the special menu:

I might drop that Grasshopper. I know our local health department will draw and quarter me if I proposed the Ramos Gin Fizz because of the raw egg white would be considered a bit of a hazard. And as far as the Roffignac, the raspberry syrup makes it sound quite delish, but I'm wondering if it will sell....

Recipes? I've linked a few to Robert's website (aka DrinkBoy) and Webtender. The ones that are not linked:

I tend to trust this fella. (Where's he been lately?!?)

Cheers!

King cake for breakfast!

I've already got bets with our service staff on when the first person is going to slip on these silly beads that always end upon on the tile flooring no matter how hard everyone tries to pick them up. :wacko: I think I still have some in my car from last year in the back seat somewhere....

Cheers everyone!

The Sazerac is a great drink. Interestingly (to me, anyway) it is one of the few drinks where it really does make sense to "wash" the inside of the glass with the secondary liguor (Pernod or Richard) and dump out the excess. Even that tiny bit flavors the drink nicely and anything more is too much.

--

Pimm's Cup fr/ the Napoleon House should be on your list as well as some of the NOLA region beers like Abita &, if you can find any, Dixie--at least it used to be fr/ NOLA.

as for the raw egg whites, use pasteurized eggs instead. I do that now for egg nog & a few other cocktails that call for raw eggs as you get the flavor & results w/o the threat of salmonella (or whatever disease raw eggs cause)

talk about slipping on the beads wait until some one chokes on the baby in the king cake. Bakeries have quit placing the baby in the cake but package it on the side b/c of fear of lawsuits--to what is this world coming?

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

talk about slipping on the beads wait until some one chokes on the baby in the king cake. Bakeries have quit placing the baby in the cake but package it on the side b/c of fear of lawsuits--to what is this world coming?

Beads... :blink:

Our King cakes came with babies on the side. We were surprisingly busy with po' boys and muffalattas on the menu and all of our beer reps showing up with metric tons of beads and blinking pins. One of them were throwing beads at us (the bartenders) as if we were seals at Sea World. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
I tend to trust this fella.  (Where's he been lately?!?)

Away and horribly busy! (And thanks a million for the kind words.)

I didn't get much Mardi Gras'ing done this year, as we were away in Ireland in February. (The good thing about going there during their second coldest month is that you can get a round trip flight for $300. The bad thing is that it's their second coldest month. Fortunately, the pubs are warm, and the whiskey is always warming!)

I know this is too late for your Carnival celebration, but it's a good one to have in your repertoire of New Orleans drinks. It's one you don't see too much anymore, and it can even be tricky ordering it in the bar at the hotel where it was invented.

Courtesy of Walter Bergeron, bar manager at the Monteleone Hotel on Royal Street, who whipped this delectable concoction together in the 1930s.

The Vieux Carré Cocktail

1 ounce rye whiskey.

1 ounce Cognac.

1 ounce sweet vermouth.

1 teaspoon Bénédictine D.O.M.

2 dashes Peychaud's Bitters

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Build over ice in a double Old Fashioned glass, stir and garnish with a cherry.

(Doc's gonna put this one in his book!)

Chuck Taggart

The Gumbo Pages, New Orleans / Los Angeles

"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." - Mark Twain, 1884

Bia agus deoch, ceol agus craic.

And speaking of New Orleans drinks, and the Monteleone in particular, the drink I always order there is the Gin Fizz. I don't really think that drink is in any way native to New Orleans, but it's one of the few places where you can order it and get a really great one.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth