• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tonkatsu

torakris

I saw this on tv last night

http://www.geocities.jp/kuntihov/kiyomaru/...01/s_kiyo06.jpg

a tonkatsu parfait!

tonkatsu topped with a special tonkatsu sauce is added to a scoop of  matcha ice cream, whip cream and seasonal fruits....

I'm almost afraid to ask if it tasted good...

:blink:

Soba

actually the people on the show who were trying it didn't really have anything to say, which is very unusual as usually there are squeals of oishiiii from the female guests.

A person from the shop that sells it, said that they often sell out of it daily....

She also showed them the proper way to eat it, you pick up the finger shaped piece of tonkatsu, place some ice cream on it, smear it with the cream and then place a piece of fruit on top, this way you get all of the tastes together. Even my husband was cringing! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Is there a recipe for tonkatsu sauce floating around anywhere, or is it preferable to buy bottled sauce?

if you scroll back up through this thread, you will find quite a number of recipes for the sauce, I buy it bottled.... :biggrin:

if you scroll back up through this thread, you will find quite a number of recipes for the sauce, I buy it bottled.... :biggrin:

Oh, holy moles, I've been jumping to the second page without reading the first one this whole time. Thanks, Kristin. :wub:

EDIT: Punctuation.

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

• 1 month later...

Aloha!

I have a done a search (not incredibly extensive but time consuming) looking for a tonkatsu sauce recipe and only found ones which use miso and/or worchestershire and ketchup. If you have one or know where I could locate one, I would very much appreciate it.

My dear Japanese MIL, who makes practically everything from scratch uses the bottled stuff. Hiroshi Fukui of L'Uraku, and now his own place, fame makes a brilliant one but will not part with the recipe. The most I've been able to glean from him is that there are apples and vinegar involved, a fact which most any one who tried it would be able to figure out.

Anyway, a big mahalo to one and all.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

I can vouch for the fact that this sauce is outstanding. Just try to remember, it's ginger, not garlic the recipe calls for. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am planning on making tomakatsu tonight!

I have to admit I have never given a thought to making my own sauce....

I want to try now :biggrin:

I don't have dried apples though, I wonder if regular apples would work...

Mine started out as Jinmyo's, actually. I think she specified tamarind, which I couldn't find the first time I went to make it, so I improvised, and ended up with this one.

If you use fresh apples, you might want to add an equal part of apple juice to the liquids, and reduce by two-thirds. That's what I'd try, anyway.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 months later...

The kids and I picked up dinner tonight at a local supermarket on the way home from ballet class, this is what I chose :biggrin:

gallery_6134_1003_21504.jpg

hire-katsu

a whole pork tenderloin tonkatsu'd in one piece

it was my entire dinner....

Oh, now I am dying for some tonkatsu. I haven't found the Japanese grocery stores here yet, but that will be remedied on Sunday, and then IT'S ON.

I have a (stupid) question; further up-thread, someone mentioned asking for sauce with their katsudon which is apparently a huge faux pas... why? I figure I might as well look stupid here instead of looking stupid in a restaurant someday :laugh:

Jennie

I have a (stupid) question; further up-thread, someone mentioned asking for sauce with their katsudon which is apparently a huge faux pas... why?  I figure I might as well look stupid here instead of looking stupid in a restaurant someday  :laugh:

Basically because it already has a sauce, the piece of deep fried tonkatsu is simmered in a thin slightly sweet soy sauce based sauce then an egg is added and cooked until set, finally the whole thing is slid onto a bowl of rice with the extra sauce dripping down into the rice.

In other words it is already seasoned, there is no reason to season again, I also think the tonkatsu sauce isn't really a good addition to an already heavy katsudon.

I thought it might be because it already had "sauce", but I wasn't sure. I love the tonkatsu sauce so much I'd be likely to ask for it anyway... maybe I should make like the people in those salad dressing commercials and take a bottle with me to restaurants in my purse :blink:

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

of course, you can do anything you want to! :biggrin:

It won't be exactly the same. I shallow fry instead of deep frying most times because I don't want to waste the oil, but I have at least an inch in the pan.

I think shallow frying might cause the breading to absorb a little too much oil since the temperature will drop, so you should watch the temperature with an instant-read thermometer to make sure it stays above 350F (and preferably closer to 375F) when you do this.

I'm sure it would taste nice either way but deep-frying should result in less oil absorption.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Had a wonderful dinner at Maisen last night :biggrin:

Since my purse was too small to hold my large camera, you will have to wait until Sun-ki (skchai) finishes his trip before the pictures are posted....

• 2 months later...

I made Tonkatsu for our dinner last evening. Turned out very good. I put it on the usual bed of cabbage and we had sliced cucumbers in sanbaizu and rice with it.

I find this is a good dish to serve to those who have never eaten Japanese and think it is all raw fish. :biggrin:

I find this is a good dish to serve to those who have never eaten Japanese and think it is all raw fish. :biggrin:

I second this opinion!

The first dinner I cooked for my family when I arrived in the US was tonkatsu and it was requested over and over again. But once was enough, standing in a kitchen with no air conditioning over hot oil trying to make tonkatsu for 15 to 20 people ....

I really want some tonkatsu, and soon!  Last time I made it, though, the breading didn't come out right.  I think I need an oil thermometer (which I don't have - can you believe it?!).

I didn't use a thermometer for this even though I have one. I just dipped a chopstick in the oil and when little bubbles rose from the tip I cooked the meat.

I really want some tonkatsu, and soon!  Last time I made it, though, the breading didn't come out right.  I think I need an oil thermometer (which I don't have - can you believe it?!).

I didn't use a thermometer for this even though I have one. I just dipped a chopstick in the oil and when little bubbles rose from the tip I cooked the meat.

But if the tips of the chopsticks turn black, it's probably too hot! :biggrin:

I don't use a thermometer either and use this technique too. It's also cheaper than buying a thermometer.

I don't like to deep fry and my wife is firmly opposed to the extra fat. I make "tonkatsu" by coating a whole tenderloin (about 8-10 oz) and dredging in panko, then roast or "oven-fry" in an oiled pan, turning a few times. Kind of like oven-fried chicken. Works great if you're interested in lower fat cooking. After resting the meat, I slice into quarter to half-inch slices.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau