• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter and Passover are coming

jackal10

I am the same as lcdm (Ukrainian Catholic)...the one thing that defines Easter for me is the making of the hrin (horseradish with beets).

I love beets and I love horseradish. In fact I'm going to grow it again this year. Would you share the recipe? Many thanks.

The key is grating by hand...I have tried all the other methods and it is the only way to get the true consistency that you want. Tough out the fumes...it makes the end product that much more enjoyable! The other ingredients are beets (I use canned just because its easier) that you grate in, a little touch of vinegar, salt and sugar to taste. If it is too strong and you dont have time to let it mellow, put in some of the beet juice, but do not be heavy handed as you can't go back.

Sorry its not more technical but its all about adding a little of this and then tasting..alot of tasting! Good luck!

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Great thread. My children are being baptized at the Easter vigil service Sat evening, so we will be hosting an Easter buffet after church on Sunday for their godparents and assorted family members. My hope is that this thread will give me some good ideas of what to serve.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Taboni,

That's exactly how my dad made it (no real recipe, he just knew). He did grate the horeseradish on the back porch, this helped with the fumes. He always said don't forget the vinegar as this brings out the heat/flavor of the horseradish. He used jarred beets and would than store the horseradish in the empty beet jars.

He would use the leftover beet juice to pickle hard cooked eggs (nothing was wasted).

Edited by lcdm (log)

There is a very good recipe in Nigella Bites for Chocolate Cloud Cake, a flourless, rich chocolate cake which I have made several times.

For Easter, she recommends putting candy eggs, like the malted milk ones and such on the whipped cream on top, so the cake looks like a nest. I might make that this year. If anyone wants the recipe let me know.

Taboni,

That's exactly how my dad made it (no real recipe, he just knew). He did grate the horeseradish on the back porch, this helped with the fumes. He always said don't forget the vinegar as this brings out the heat/flavor of the horseradish. He used jarred beets and would than store the horseradish in the empty beet jars.

He would use the leftover beet juice to pickle hard cooked eggs (nothing was wasted).

My mother makes those pickled eggs....that's one dish I couldn't quite stomach.

I even used to be able to eat my mother's hishki for breakfast (jellied pigs feet for those who don't know) but I drew the line at pickled eggs.

The key is grating by hand...I have tried all the other methods and it is the only way to get the true consistency that you want. Tough out the fumes...it makes the end product that much more enjoyable! The other ingredients are beets (I use canned just because its easier)

Thanks for the tip. I love the fumes it saves on my Sudafed bill. :biggrin:

We are down in Fair Haven now but used to be in Elizabeth

Ah, another Exit 109er...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

We are down in Fair Haven now but used to be in Elizabeth

Ah, another Exit 109er...

There is life outside Bergen County !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

For Easter, love a fresh ham.

Live in pork country, and even here one has to special order the roast.

When I was a kid, fresh hams were readily available. Do not know why they have become so rare.

But cooked properly, they are a treat.

Lamb cake...what an amazing idea that is! I'd love to see one.

Easter is one western festival that has never conquered the Japanese calendar, but I still hear my kids counseling their friends to search the garden if it appears that Easter Bunny has missed the house call.

In New Zealand, where I'm from, Easter is not spring, so special foods rarely go beyond hot cross buns.

Our local church in Japan, perhaps predictably, prefers to use white eggs, undyed. They know all about dyeing eggs, but no...