• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Duck Breasts: Tips and Techniques

bushey

Here's a different spin.  I serve my breasts braised - slimy skin, right?  So I tried a few things for the crispy skin with the tender breast.  The 'most of the time it works' method is to braise with the liquid only going half way up the breast.  Good, but not perfect.  The perfect way - Remove the skin and dehydrate it.  Braise the breast.  Then either deep fry, pan fry or bake the skin between two baking sheets until crisp.  Perfect but a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

I have really good results sous vide the duck breast  for a few hours at 135F then submerge skin side down into a deep fryer so only the skin is under the oil. I do this for a few minutes then lift up and let rest for a few minutes. I then submerge just the skin again for a few minutes. I got the idea from a cooking method for korean chicken. It results in extremely crispy skin and still perfect medium rare duck.

• Like 2

Im guessing your grill is splatter proof?

Most of the splatter occurs when it's on the side-burner and lands on an adjacent bougainvillea, which doesn't seem to mind too terribly  :rolleyes: