• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio Mousse

bripastryguy

I have an can of expensive Pistachio Paste (Mec3) and would really like a mousse recipe. I'm looking more for a layer or "insert" (mousse....) to a cake or entremet. Anyone have any tried and true recipes?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Dear Bri:

Short answer, if and when he's around: Ask Nightscotsman. His pistachio mousse filling for guajolotes's birthday cake will live in memory as one of the most sublime things I've ever tasted.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

i will,

thank you

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

pistachio mousse sounds divine.

why oh why do i not make sweets and pastries more often? i always say i don't like them or have a sweet tooth and then i hear something like pistachio mousse and go all weak at the knees.

i await the recipe........

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

bripastryguy

Here is a recipe for a pistacio bavarian...sorry about the size but its easy to break down

PISTACHIO BAVARIAN

2 # PISTACHIO PASTE

3 QT MILK

2 VANILLA BEANS

1 QT YOLKS - 6 TO 7 YOLKS = 1/2 CUP

1 1/2 # SUGAR

40 GELATIN - SOAKED AND DRAINED

5 QT CREAM - SOFT PEAK

BRING MILK AND BEANS TO BOIL..MIX YOLKS AND SUGAR AND TEMPER MILK IN AND RETURN TO PAN AND THICKEN ON STOVE LIKE CREME ANGLAISE...STRAIN AND ADD PASTE AND GELATIN AND MIX TO BREAK UP PASTE AND GELATIN..COOL TO ROOM TEMP AND FOLD IN CREAM...

PAT

bripastryguy

Here is a recipe for a pistacio bavarian...sorry about the size but its easy to break down

PISTACHIO BAVARIAN

2 # PISTACHIO PASTE

3 QT MILK

2 VANILLA BEANS

1 QT YOLKS - 6 TO 7 YOLKS = 1/2 CUP

1 1/2 # SUGAR

40 GELATIN - SOAKED AND DRAINED

5 QT CREAM - SOFT PEAK

BRING MILK AND BEANS TO BOIL..MIX YOLKS AND SUGAR AND TEMPER MILK IN AND RETURN TO PAN AND THICKEN ON STOVE LIKE CREME ANGLAISE...STRAIN AND ADD PASTE AND GELATIN AND MIX TO BREAK UP PASTE AND GELATIN..COOL TO ROOM TEMP AND FOLD IN CREAM...

PAT

Thanks for the recipe glucose333. Sorry for the layman's question, but what is the unit on the gelatin? (leaves of some size, ounces?).

Thanks!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you glucose333. I assumed it was sheets but thanks for the confirmation and conversion. mmm... Pistachio Bavarian.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks Glucose, i'll give it a try (much smaller maybe by 1/4)

What wa your yield or useage for the original recipe?

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

bripastryguy

My best guess is about 7-8 9"X3" cakes.. this is also with 2 layers of genoise and a jaconde border so it does depend.. and we also put manderin oranges in the filling to...If you have extra..freeze in smaller size cake circles to put inside another mousse cake..

pat..