• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cheap eats

Lochina

I'm planning/hoping to take a 4- or 5-day trip this summer, either to Montreal or New Orleans (very different options, I know). Anyway, if I end up in New Orleans, I'm going to need some suggestions for dining. I'm a student on a budget. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks a lot.

What on your student budget to you consider cheap? New Orleans, in fact, is probably one of the best places to dine inexpensively and well in North America (as I once pointed out to someone her - Some of our gas station convenience stores have better food (really there is some awesome stuff out there ) than many places have in their restaurants).

Gimme a budget and we'll get you fixed up.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I'd recommend Fiorello's (really close, but it could be Fiorell's) on Decatur near Ursulines or Esplanade. Look for the big dumpster in front. The place looks like it is falling down, and it probably is, but inside it is clean and the food is inexpensive.

I'd recommend going on Bean Day -- Monday -- for red beans and sausage. Theirs are delicious, and the best price in the Vieux Carre. (Trust me -- I walked until I found something reasonable. I wasn't about to pay $9.50 for a plate of beans. Theirs were $6.50 with a big piece of sausage and absolutely delicious.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

You may find this thread helpful (if you haven't already looked at it).

Cheap Eats in New Orleans

I should also add that no one mentioned Taqueria Corona, an excellent Taco Joint on Magazine street up by Audobon Park. I, for example, was there last night and was accompanied by Mrs. Mayhaw, the little Mayhaws and a couple of thier freeloader friends. All of us ate until we were stuffed and I got out for under 60 buck (no drinking included).

Edited to say that after Bacchus tomight I will be taking the boys to Frankie and Johnny's for whatever (hopefully crawfish, but it is a bit early although I had some excellent example of those tasty little critters at a party yesterday). The place is a typical neighborhood bar and restaurant and has been around a long time. The food is dependable New Orleans fair and the service is pretty quick (this is important with starving teenagers whose tolerance for their parents-no matter how hip they are :wink: -is limited to dinner and borrowing money. Frankie and Johnny's is not retro New Orleans, it just hung around long enough to be cool all over again. :wacko:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...