• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest ads on TV

JohnnyH

They are great! One of the few things on TV, shows included, that actually make me laugh.

Never tried a Quiznos sub myself, I don't think there are any around here. JohnnyH, are they that bad?

Beware of paper cuts! :laugh:

They toast the bun while you wait. That's the gimmick.

Mark

I liked the older Quiznos commercials. And I prefer their subs because of the toasting over the other national chains.

However, when I see these mutant-Richard-Gere-gerbil commercials, it makes me want to shoot myself.

I agree with the majority on this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...36678&hl=quizno

ExtraMSG--I find myself agreeing with you again.

A commercial with RODENTS (or at least puppets that look like rodents) DOES NOT make me want to eat a restaurant. In fact, now, when I see a Quiznos, I avoid it. I used to occassionally eat it for lunch, but now, I'd rather eat the rodents!

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

I'm just glad you told me they were hamsters. I thought they were hairy Mr. Potato Heads!

I know moms everywhere will be reaming me for this, but I find myself watching the paper towel commercial where the little boy shakes up the pop, and the mom shoots him back with her hose fixture. That one reminds me of real life. And it's cute.

Edited to distinguish them from Hampsters, whom I believe to be people who go summer somewhere or something.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

I'm just glad you told me they were hampsters. I thought they were hairy Mr. Potato Heads!

I know moms everywhere will be reaming me for this, but I find myself watching the paper towel commercial where the little boy shakes up the pop, and the mom shoots him back with her hose fixture. That one reminds me of real life. And it's cute.

Yes, animal animation has come a long way since hampsterdance.com.

As mentioned in the other Quizno's thread, they're spongemonkeys, which I suppose is what one calls hamster roadkill by way of Adam Sandler and the Taco Bell Chihuahua. Here's the progenitor of the Quizno's ads.

We love this stuff, especially the punk kittens. You can view a lot of Joel Veitch's work at rathergood.com. His clever and somewhat less-bizarre ads for Switch/Maestro (British credit card) are here.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

They are great! One of the few things on TV, shows included, that actually make me laugh.

Never tried a Quiznos sub myself, I don't think there are any around here. JohnnyH, are they that bad?

Beware of paper cuts!  :laugh:

To be honest with you I really don't know -- probably not. They certainly couldn't be any worse than Subway or Blimpie. The commercials make me laugh every time I see them, but they don't do anything to make me want to find out.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I'm just glad you told me they were hamsters. I thought they were hairy Mr. Potato Heads!

Don't take my word for it -- I just had no idea what else to call them. I figured "hamsters" was better than "dead mice," which is what they really call to mind...

-- Albert Ellis

As mentioned in the other Quizno's thread, they're spongemonkeys, which I suppose is what one calls hamster roadkill by way of Adam Sandler and the Taco Bell Chihuahua. Here's the progenitor of the Quizno's ads.

I'm laughing so hard right now I can't breathe.

-- Albert Ellis

I'm not likely to be convinced to purchase food products from a company that uses mutant rats in their commercials.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

this is nothing more than a company incorporating internet pop-culture into their advertising campaign. it's hardly a new concept, and i'm pretty sure the visuals aren't meant to get you salivating. that's simply not the point. the point, of course, is to get people to notice. a success, no doubt.

I know that they are Spong Monkeys , which are very popular with kids, and that's undoubtedly the target market.

But I agree with others here. They just look like dead rats with deformed feet. In my view, quite likely the most unappetizing commercial I've ever seen for food.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

But I agree with others here. They just look like dead rats with deformed feet. In my view, quite likely the most unappetizing commercial I've ever seen for food.

and i've guessing you don't appreciate Green Day either. :rolleyes:

jeesh. i think i'm dating *myself* if that's the only punky-pop band i could come up with. :blink:

But I agree with others here.  They just look like dead rats with deformed feet.  In my view, quite likely the most unappetizing commercial I've ever seen for food.

and i've guessing you don't appreciate Green Day either. :rolleyes:

Do they advertise food? :raz:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm not likely to be convinced to purchase food products from a company that uses mutant rats in their commercials.

...or one that enlists a formerly overweight human being whose novelty has morphed into teeth-gritting irritation?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Ooh, how could I forget the two bulls talkin' about the babe cows in California? Where the happy cows are?

Yeah, I love that one, too. :biggrin:

The travelocity commercials with the garden gnome in pictures of his travels.

That was used in the wonderful movie "Amelie" a couple years ago. I don't know if it was used anywhere prior to that though.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

The travelocity commercials with the garden gnome in pictures of his travels.

That was used in the wonderful movie "Amelie" a couple years ago. I don't know if it was used anywhere prior to that though.

And actually, they got the idea from a real incident that took place some years back. A garden decoration was stolen, traveled the world, photographs and postcards arrived from everywhere. Finally, after about two years, the item reappeared in the person's yard. It was in the newspapers and created a great deal of publicity. That launched something of a mini-craze. I believe it happened not that long ago with a real, live dog.

But whatever, the Amelie folks were not the first to think of it, by a long shot.

Garden gnomes travel the world.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I deeply miss the Taco Bell chihuahua. :sad:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I deeply miss the Taco Bell chihuahua. :sad:

Yeah, me, too. Loved the little guy.

But I read where the top executives of Taco Bell said that, adorable though he was, he didn't raise their sales figures one iota. So they canned him.

"Yes," said the Taco Bell CEO by way of explanation, "the dog's cute and all. But we're not in the toy business."