• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greatest ads on TV

JohnnyH

Check out that AdAge.com article for the connection.

I'm particularly fond of the reference to the Spongemonkeys as "Spokespests".

:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ooh, how could I forget the two bulls talkin' about the babe cows in California? Where the happy cows are?

The best one in that campaign had to be the one with the "new girl" with the Minnesota accent, talking about how lovely it was to be so warm, and how annoying it is to be stuck in the snow dontchaknow.

"Dude, what's snow?"

Driving through Sonoma and Napa counties, the cows I passed did look like they had it pretty good. Even though their legs must be mismatched lengths, due to those steep hillsides! :wacko:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

"Beware of paper cuts," qualifies as an earworm in my book. Oh lord make the pain go away!

Though I must say I am starting to enjoy those Emerald Nuts commercials. They kind of suck in you in -- I figured out Egyptian Navigators all by myself!

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I must be showing my age. I have no clue what the following means:

Beware of paper cuts

earworms

Egyptian Navigators

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Just posted on Slate.com: The Creatures from the Sandwich Shop

The original link is a bit off. Until corrected, this is the right one.

From the Slate.com article:

"What are these creatures? As I say, they're called spongmonkeys. I don't know why and neither did Hall. In your mail to me, you've called them: gerbils with birth defects; Mr. Potato Rats; drug-addled, castrato hamsters; and "hell lemurs" (which, while catchy, is not really accurate, as the lemur body type is far more ectomorphic). Whatever they are, they're clearly Photoshopped, and if pressed I would say the base element is a pygmy marmoset."

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My inner food media curmudgeon was wondering why everyone is writing about these Quizno's ads now, since they've been running for months.

Then it was pointed out to me that the New York Times wrote about them a couple of weeks ago, so all the media lemmings are falling into line, with a sudden flurry of articles as if they've just discovered this phenomenon.

Damn song is growing on me. Can't get "they've got a pepper barrrrr" out of my head. Must get coffee.

My inner food media curmudgeon was wondering why everyone is writing about these Quizno's ads now, since they've been running for months.

Then it was pointed out to me that the New York Times wrote about them a couple of weeks ago, so all the media lemmings are falling into line, with a sudden flurry of articles as if they've just discovered this phenomenon.

my guess is that commercials aren't rolled out into every market at the same time. and then they don't necessarily run with the same frequency. i've only just noticed them, although i live in the NYC area and watch quite a bit of TV (but fewer commercials since Tivo).

my guess is that commercials aren't rolled out into every market at the same time.

Right. Where I live, I think the Spongs only have been running for a couple of weeks or so.

But speaking of great commercials, although it's not food related, I have a new favorite. I love the one where the boy and girl are in the rowboat, and it springs a leak in the bottom and begins to sink, but the girl, clever and quick thinking lass that she is, plugs the hole with a tampon, which immediately swells to seal it perfectly, little string floating in the water. I can't recall ever before having seen so graphic, and effective, an illustration as to how a product works.

It's hilarious.

You go, girl.

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"What are these creatures? As I say, they're called spongmonkeys. I don't know why and neither did Hall. In your mail to me, you've called them: gerbils with birth defects; Mr. Potato Rats; drug-addled, castrato hamsters; and "hell lemurs" (which, while catchy, is not really accurate, as the lemur body type is far more ectomorphic). Whatever they are, they're clearly Photoshopped, and if pressed I would say the base element is a pygmy marmoset."

A Real Spongmonkey?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

A Real Spongmonkey?

Yep. Good catch. One more vote, from me, for tarsier.

But where's its hat? :wink:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

A Real Spongmonkey?

What? You couldn't find one grinning? :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Beware of paper cuts

earworms

Egyptian Navigators

"Beware of paper cuts!" is a quote from one of the Quiznos ads in question.

An "earworm" is a song/phrase/word/collection of syllables that crawls into your brain (via your ear) and gets stuck in your head. "I have an earworm." = "I have a song stuck in my head." "You just earwormed me with 'Surfin' Bird'!" = "You just got that 'Surfin' Bird' stuck in my head!"

"Egyptian Navigators" are new to me. My guess is that they are slang for:

A.) French Ticklers;

B.) Israeli couscous;

C.) Spanish flies;

or D.) Jamaican bobsledders.

:wink:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Beware of paper cuts

earworms

Egyptian Navigators

"Beware of paper cuts!" is a quote from one of the Quiznos ads in question.

An "earworm" is a song/phrase/word/collection of syllables that crawls into your brain (via your ear) and gets stuck in your head. "I have an earworm." = "I have a song stuck in my head." "You just earwormed me with 'Surfin' Bird'!" = "You just got that 'Surfin' Bird' stuck in my head!"

"Egyptian Navigators" are new to me. My guess is that they are slang for:

A.) French Ticklers;

B.) Israeli couscous;

C.) Spanish flies;

or D.) Jamaican bobsledders.

:wink:

Egyptian Navigators: One of the many fictional E--- N--- people who like Emerald Nuts. There's also an Encouraging Norwegian. I forget the others.

Here's a link to one of the ads.

amanda

Googlista

Beware of paper cuts

I think that's the commercial that tells viewers that Quizno's will honor all coupons, even ones for oil changes or hairplugs. ergo, beware of paper cuts from the coupons.

I guess it's a better commercial than I'd thought if it captured my mindshare like this.

Speaking of outlandish and bizarre food commercials...how about the one for Pepperidge Farm goldfish crackers? "It's the snack that smiles back...until you bite its head off." Yikes.

What are they smoking at ad agencies this day? And where can we get some?

• 3 weeks later...