• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milking the Mammals

fifi

'ey! if we's gonna milk elephants, why not mice? Cheaper to feed and house, and less danger pay for the milkers!

Do you guys remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer finds that the mafia milking rats for the school's milk? They were calling it Malk.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

• 1 month later...
There seem to be many other troublesome animals that get milked... camels, water buffalo.

Just a passing query, what is so troublesome about water buffalos? They are the most placid creatures on earth. There are some totally untranslateable jokes in India about the placidity of these creatures which provide a huge chunk of the milk here.

Vikram

There seem to be many other troublesome animals that get milked... camels, water buffalo.

Just a passing query, what is so troublesome about water buffalos? They are the most placid creatures on earth. There are some totally untranslateable jokes in India about the placidity of these creatures which provide a huge chunk of the milk here.

Vikram

I have no problem with water buffalos. Some of my best friends are water buffalos. :wink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The fat content of milk is easily manipulated -- you can get skim, 1%, 2%, whole, half-and-half, light cream, heavy cream, etc. at any supermarket -- so I fail to see how the high fat content of raw pig milk is an effective selling point.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Talk about a collective conscious. My wife and I were just discussing pig milking a couple of nights ago.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Imagine the marketability of ass-cheese.

The mind reels... :laugh:

Think of the names you could come up with for various varieties.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

ass milk cheese

Where's Wanda Sykes when you need her.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Ok, I can't resist...

Brhee-haw. :biggrin:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I think I see a Good Eats segment here....Alton milking all those different animals and then explaining the nutritional content of each.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

"i have nipples greg, could you milk *me*?" - Bobby DeNiro, as Jack Byrnes.

Classic scene in which Greg "milks" the cat - Meet the Parents.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Ok, I can't resist...

Brhee-haw. :biggrin:

Sheesh, whatsamatter with all you people? Ain't you never took a bath in asses' milk?

Guess not.

Never mind.

EDIT: but getting back to the names... this could give a whole new meaning to "crottin"!!! icon8.gif:laugh:

Edited by balmagowry (log)

'ey!  if we's gonna milk elephants, why not mice?  Cheaper to feed and house, and less danger pay for the milkers!

Do you guys remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer finds that the mafia milking rats for the school's milk? They were calling it Malk.

SML

i had the image of the rats all hooked up to the milking machines as my desk-top picture at work years ago--my fellow-workers petitioned to have it removed.