• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Food Network may botch next

mstillman

And who's the chairman? Emeril?

Somehow the thought of seeing Emeril in frilly Liberace meets the Vampire clothing makes me want to roll on the floors with laughter.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So have they got rid of Shatner? Please? Maybe they've decided to drop the Chairman idea altogether, although this is probably wishful thinking. I mean, I love Kaga as much as the next Iron Chef fan, but as the casting of Shatner proved, the concept didn't translate very well.

More details... In these special eps, the American Iron Chefs do kitchen battle with the Japanese Iron Chefs Masaharu Morimoto and Hiroyuki Sakai... And in the role of play-by-ingredient commentator, chef/scientist Alton Brown.

Whoo hoo! I called it on both the bringing back of the Japanese Iron Chefs and Alton!!! :shock:

For my next trick, I predict the theme ingredient in the next Morimoto/Flay battle will be: duck.

Mr. Bourdain, why'd you turn the judge role down? You'd have been perfect: "This one is really good....this one blows..." :laugh:

Waitaminute....Flay got rid of the blond Texan from Boy Meets Grill? Sheesh!

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Waitaminute....Flay got rid of the blond Texan from Boy Meets Grill?  Sheesh!

A little off-topic, but I heard they were tying the knot. I read it on Page 6, so it must be true :wink:

Edit: Stephanie Marsh is that "blond Texan from Boy Meets Grill"

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Maybe you can Japanize baseball, but I don't think you'll ever be able to Americanize Iron Chef.

The intrinsic quality that accounts for the show's popularity is dependent upon the Japanese concepts of competition and celebrity.

The loser of an IC Battle is more genuinely gratious in defeat than an American chef could ever feign, and the judges are able to inject just the right degree of suspension of disbelief to make their verdicts credible.

Imagine Bobby Flay trying to be as humble in either victory or defeat as IC Sakai, or a judging panel consisting of Rep Dick Gephart, Britney Sears, and Ruth Reichel being anything other than a horizontal version of Hollywood Squares.

Fun to talk about, but I don't think I'll watch.